Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Over the years I've come to the opinion that it's very likely that you know your sht.
Thank you. Lots of smart people on this board. It is most interesting place to talk about anything. Some are a little testy and argumentative but that is okay too. In my view, we, the USA comes out on top once again so I hope I am right. But that assumes a uncomfortable condition for many here: Trump gets re-elected. Any other Republican or Democrat will follow the path of the last 50 years. Both parties have sold us out hard and without mercy.

Advertisement
RE: Boeing - people will eventually start traveling again. Long term, it might be one to buy and hold as part of a portfolio. In the short term, they’re not gonna be selling a whole lot of planes
I've held Boeing stock off and on for years. Been lucky with it most of the time. I got out after the Max jet problem started, giving back some profits because of it, but very thankful I sold when I did. I agree it could be a buy for long term, I am looking for point to bet back in but everything is up in air with the whole travel business. Anyone who takes a dip now, needs to have stomach and wallet for whatever rough waters come.

I've held Boeing stock off and on for years. Been lucky with it most of the time. I got out after the Max jet problem started, giving back some profits because of it, but very thankful I sold when I did. I agree it could be a buy for long term, I am looking for point to bet back in but everything is up in air with the whole travel business. Anyone who takes a dip now, needs to have stomach and wallet for whatever rough waters come.

I don’t think we allow them to go bankrupt. But yeah they’re in for some rough waters.

Manufacturing issues are the least of the problems that we have andcurrently are going to have in the future with China. That can be fixed to a certain extent.

A better understanding of the Chinese economy, and their intent and philosophy vis-à-vis the outside world, will help you in understanding the threat they pose. But instead you choose simple political posturing, and self blaming.
I am not posturing at all. China is, and has been an economic threat to us for over 50 years. But everyone with any sense has known this for years. This is just the chickens coming home to roost. I assume you are well versed in Malcolm X and will understand the quote

Advertisement
Accepted wisdom will always arrive at the conclusion it was designed in advance to achieve. Your point about debt is very well taken but those rules don't seem to apply in the real world any more. When you need the creditor more than than need you, you must continue to support the debt addiction UNLESS the creditor can increase its income. We did suffer a deleveraging event in a big way a dozen years ago. I do fear that again but not because of the government debt. I gave up worrying about that a few years ago when US credit rating was cut and Treasuries prices just went UP instead of the expected down. Our interest rate decrease, dang. Some thing is wrong with that but I leave it to you to figure out.

Two points I would make:

1) The "dollar" has not been backed by anything since it became a Federal Reserve Note. It is still legal tender for all debts public and private but no longer is it "Backed by the full faith and credit of the United States." It might not make a difference until it does make a difference. Keep in mind the Fed is not the US Treasury. The Treasury does not guarantee Fed debt or notes. The Fed does not have any taxing authority and does not collect tax revenues. Being old and long ago bored with most things, I try to figure out what would happen if Fed declared bankruptcy. Scary as **** considering the banking crisis the next morning, but all that Federal Debt we worry about goes away. It is owed by the Federal Reserve not the United States. Oh don't get me wrong the destruction cannot be calculated but We They People might be just fine. Just deep thought for any idle time.

2) If you assume we would allow the sale of anything manufacture anywhere but US and maybe Mexico and Canada, then maybe the relocation might occur. It is possible that Boardrooms everywhere would do, if there are not already doing, frantic risk assessments of manufacturing outside the US for anything consumed here. "Make it where you sell it" is not an alien concept and is being discussed now in lot of places, or at least should. Political risk in US is now off the charts and have been ignored for decades.

You make good well thought out points, please do not take my response as any sort of insult. I share your fears. I've went to all cash four times the last thee years and only regretted one. I do come from a different pov. I am certain almost all of this move to China was a result of Federal Government actions and direction. US business actually resisted it, at least at first, until the 90's. No doubt they have sold out strong now but it was not their plan. The plot is much deeper than simple "greed". Anyway, keep safe and make money.

All in good conversation.

Short of a "nationalization" effort i think it will be confined to the blue zone for a while.

108$ to 148$ ish...lol.

Last edited:
I am not posturing at all. China is, and has been an economic threat to us for over 50 years. But everyone with any sense has known this for years. This is just the chickens coming home to roost. I assume you are well versed in Malcolm X and will understand the quote

Thst Malcolm X quote doesn’t apply at all. It implies we have somehow unjustly treated China and now we are getting our comeuppance. What a weird take.

Advertisement
I don’t think we allow them to go bankrupt. But yeah they’re in for some rough waters.

Boeing is an essential national security company. Perhaps they go bankrupt, perhaps not.

However, the US Gov will not and can not lose their capabilities. Lockheed, Iron Boat Works, and AM General are in same category.

Northrup Grumman and a few others...meh.

Stock markets look to the future and there has been some better news coming out over the past couple of weeks (regarding the Wuhan virus).

I'm always invested in a variety of individual stocks.

But I do always keep plenty of cash on hand - and the market chasm that we saw back in March is one of the reasons why.

Some shares that I bought back in March have already done quite well.

But, I buy throughout the year and throughout all market cycles.

Just bought more shares today.

And yesterday.

Love to hear people's opinions...

A. What the **** is going on? This thing should be tanking

B. What are you looking at or buying? Or are you in all cash...

And even better companies that have been hitting all-time highs.

I disagree to some of your points. If an investor takes a long-term view (5+ years), there are many great companies with stock prices in deep discount territory.

With that said, if someone has less than a 5 year outlook, buyer beware--have lots of antacid ready.

Advertisement
You haven't missed the boat.

If you see a quality company you like, invest in it.

If it goes down by a fair amount soon after buying it - and the fundamentals are still fine, invest in more.

Far better than trying to time anything.

The next chap who can time the stock markets will be the first.

A - no it shouldn’t. Stock market discounts the future not the past. Stock market doesn’t buy the bull**** fear **** CNN and the evening news are peddling.

B- bought on the way down, and continue to buy the dips. IVV, and high quality names like GS, JNJ, UPS, JPM, VZ, V, CVS, KO, DIS, IBM, along with ETF’s like GDX, XLB, XLU, TIPS. Helicopter money has to go somewhere.

Bought a little bit of TSLA too. Wish I could get APPL, MSFT, AMZN, but missed the boat when they were on sale. Just waited too long.

Advertisement
I thought Delta had already suspended their dividend?

I looked on one of the financial pages, and it didn’t say anything about their dividend having been suspended. I haven’t heard about it. It’s possible, it wouldn’t surprise me but right now because of the way they’ve dropped in price their dividend yield is over 7%.

I looked on one of the financial pages, and it didn’t say anything about their dividend having been suspended. I haven’t heard about it. It’s possible, it wouldn’t surprise me but right now because of the way they’ve dropped in price their dividend yield is over 7%.

"When the extent of the COVID-19 crisis became clear, we immediately suspended our share repurchases, and our Board of Directors has voted to suspend future dividend payments."

"When the extent of the COVID-19 crisis became clear, we immediately suspended our share repurchases, and our Board of Directors has voted to suspend future dividend payments."

Yeah thanks. I didn’t know that, - I hadn’t done that much research on Delta. On the financial landing page at CNBC and Fidelity, it showed a dividend when I looked, and I was going off that. Other than a small position in Boeing, I don’t have any travel stocks in my portfolio. I’m heavy tech right now in the portion I have invested in the securities, and most of those either pay no dividends or have small yields

Yeah thanks. I didn’t know that, - I hadn’t done that much research on Delta. On the financial landing page at CNBC and Fidelity, it showed a dividend when I looked, and I was going off that. Other than a small position in Boeing, I don’t have any travel stocks in my portfolio. I’m heavy tech right now in the portion I have invested in the securities, and most of those either pay no dividends or have small yields

I think BAC is a strong long term play...even short term I'm up quite a bit, BUT, I guessed at the recent bottom.

Sometimes even blind squirrels...

Advertisement
Back