Stephen Morris

cane33

Thunderdome
Surprised there hasn't been a thread started about him already. THoughts in his performance?

-I think he is going to have to get A LOT better as the season goes on and we play better defenses because BC's obviously wasn't that good and he looked pretty average.
-His decision making is improved and it is noticeable.
-His arm strength is great and he has plenty of zip. But at least 5 or 6 times when we ran those WR hitch routes near the sideline he put the ball into the dirt costing us what would have been easy completions. I know it's a tough throw from one hash to the sideline but he has to be much more consistent on those throws.
-Also noticed he tends to throw low on short slants and curl routes and our WRs had to dive/fall to the ground in order to make the catch which negates any chance they might have to get YAC when they have to go to the ground all the time to secure the catch. If he can start hitting the WRs in stride on these passes our offense will look a lot better and we'll improve our YAC. Take for instance the slant to Malcolm Lewis where Morris was able to hit him in stride so that he could secure the ball and then make a defender miss in the open field to get YAC and then score. When Morris starts consistently hitting those short passes to WRs in stride instead of making them dive we'll be deadly.
-The few times BC sent extra pressure he looked a little razzled and unsure of how to handle it. On one occasion the pressure forced him to panic and he made an erratic throw that almost was intercepted. That can't happen against better teams so I'm looking to see how he handles the blitz in the future. We definitely can't having him throwing up frenzied passes when blitzes come that could result in INTs or grounding calls. Hopefully he's spending extra time in the film room learning opposing defenses so that he'll be able to recognize the blitzes better and be able to check into the right plays.
-He's still staring down WRs. BC wasn't able to capitalize but i suspect better defenses will be able to.
-I like that he's going through his progressions but it seems as if he gets locked into one side of the field entirely and doesn't see the open WRs on the other side whenever he starts his progression on one side. Seems as if he still stuck on the 1st and 2nd read and not getting to that 3rd and 4th read that makes QBs dangerous.
-His pocket presence looks much improved.
-I thought he also did an excellent job of managing the clock and game. No wasted timeouts because he didn't know what he was doing. Looked in command and sure of himself when we went to the no huddle and at the end of the game in the hurry up.
-Looks as if he has taken the leadership role on the field and off which I love to see. Also he's not afraid to go talk to guys on the sideline when they mess up. Which is something I always wanted to see out of Jacory but never did. A QB has to hold his offensive players accountable, it can't just be the coaches all the time.
-I think when Fisch starts to open up more and let him take shots downfield that will help him out because defenses will have to loosen up and be wary of the combination of our speed at WR and his arm strength. He certainly checked down a **** of a lot today and better teams will key in on that and start to cheat up and try to pick off those short passes to the flats.

Overall I think he did okay. Not bad and not great. But I expect him to improve as the season goes on and he has to. Plus i believe this is only his 3rd or 4th start. So it should be all downhill from here. :neonu::neonu:

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm on another planet from how you felt about his game.

I thought he played extremely well. Commanded the offense effectively giving the no-huddle nature of it. Make smart decisions with the football. Did a good job of feeling the pressure in the pocket. Overall, he had a very solid game.

His numbers would've been even better if we didn't drop 7 (not sure on the official number) passes.

I thought he was efficient, played with poise and showed great leadership righting the ship after getting down 14-0. He's still staring WR's down a little too much, but he's a major upgrade over JH IMO and his ability to scramble is huge.

I was going to start a thread. I stated before the game yesterday in Joe green thread that I had a man crush in sm. I expected team to let him down. He played extremely well. It wasn't until late third that he made his first bad decsion when he got sacked. Then the next series he had a few throws that were ill advised. But and this is a big but, he didn't cave in.

I do agree he has to get better. I think we see a kid at qb who has some pro potential. Not Andrew luck esque or rgiii esque. Maybe Russell Wilson esque.

Also, you have to be able to recognize that their cb's were **** near ten yards off the ball taking away most all of the deep stuff. Now, when teams watch our film they will try to press and that will open up the deep passes and the play action. SM did miss a couple of throws but hey that is to be expected, but SM looked substantially improved.

Advertisement
Morris showed great command of the offense IMO. He seemed really confident/comfortable out there. My only complaint w/the offense was we didn't take more shots down field. Happy with #17's decision making though

I noticed the low throws as well - he needs to fix that. I read many time that we should expect a lot of YAC, but the llow throws will keep that from happening. It's a little tough to give him an overall grade when most throws were horizontal, but he needs to be more consistent and more accurate.

Important to remember this was Morris' first start as the leader of the team. Some mistakes were to be expected. He performed reasonably well considering the situation. Looked a helluva lot better than he did against Maryland last year.

Morris did a lot of things right against BC. He took what the defense gave and made some good choices, some of which were blatantly dropped. He didn't get flustered and kept bring this offense back down the field. He showed off a big arm and ran when he had to, which can help this offense tremendously moving forward. But for this offense to take it to the next level he needs to work on 3 things.....

1 - Accuracy. As mentioned, many slants and screens were low, not allowing the receiver to catch and run with the ball. I think this is a footwork issue which tends to make the ball come up short or sail (his issue last season).

2 - Touch. Morris has a big arm and showed it off quite a bit against BC. However, i think sometimes he needs to dial it back a bit and put more touch on the pass to make it more catchable. Instead of waiting for a guy to clear or show and then muscling it in, he needs to anticipate and take just a bit off the heater. That gives the WR more time to track the ball and a higher completion percentage.

3 - Quick release. Morris needs to work on a quicker released on the WR screens. He has a big arm but takes too long getting it out on those plays, allowing the DBs a chance to make tackles. You see many guys say they throw those passes without the laces....Morris doesn't. He takes the extra time. We need to get guys like Duke and Dorsett in space.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back