SteMo (SIAP)

cameron97

Freshman
Tweeted by Tim Reynolds

@ByTimReynolds:
Stephen Morris is now the only quarterback in America with 50-yard passes against nine different teams this season. Nine.

Thought it was an interesting stat

Advertisement
Would have been nice to see him without the injury and a healthy Dorsett. He missed a lot of throws and got a lot of help from 3 yard bubble screen type plays being housed, but he is good when not having to make decisions.

He had a good, not great season. 186-317 (58.7%) for 2868 yards 21 TD and 12 INT. Take out the UNC game and his stats look a lot better (I know you can't do that).

Advertisement
It still makes me laugh when people blame Stemo for our defensive issues. Kid had a pretty good season still. I'd be willing to bet, 80% of the college football world would have loved to have him for their QB. He had probably 2 pretty bad games, and a couple average games. What people who are just looking at his stats don't seem to realize is how many TD and catches are dropped. In that Pitt game, there were like 3 (15+ yard wide open) TD passes dropped in the first qtr. Also, at least 4-5 of his ints came off a receiver not catching the ball or it bouncing off someone into the defenders.

Lets not forget at least half of the season (7 games maybe?) he had an injured ankle/leg/whatever and that about the time his worst games came.

He might not have been a 1st rounder, AA, or a heisman player, but I was satisfied to have him as our QB, especially when I thought he was going to be a scrub when he first started. Kid is always going to be a cane to me, even with the snickers.

An injury like that starts in the ankle and eventually impacts your hip. I don't know if that was the case with him, but I've assumed that it was. When he started underthrowing deep passes--where he usually is great on them--that made me think he was really struggling to plant and throw and was just arming passes out there.

I think he can have a descent NFL career, we have got to admit that he has been WAYYYYYY better than J. Harris.

Advertisement
I know at least one UM coach who thought Scott had a chance to be the 3rd best player on offense this year. He was starting to explode at the end of 2012. His getting derailed really hurt this team. He has great size and was a great red zone weapon. Add in Dorsett's injury, Lewis still not 100%, Waters getting knicked up here and there, Duke out the 2nd half, and Morris' own battles with his Achilles, and there has certainly been a lot of adversity to overcome. And that doesn't eve include the fact that we STARTED the year with 75 instead of 85. It hasn't been perfect, but Morris has been solid, sometimes even explosive. Hope he has a great bowl game.

He had a decent senior season. He just isn't a very accurate qb especially when he has to go to his 2nd and 3rd options. With that said he has nothing to do with how bad we played on defense.

Despite his inconsistencies, Stephen Morris will most certainly be missed. Granted, he isn't the greatest at making reads, but considering the fact that he was recruited by Mark Whipple as a project QB and wasn't expected to due much at UM, he's certainly surpassed my expectations. And considering the injuries to Dorsett, Scott, and Duke, Morris has been able to do just fine. He isn't the problem on this team, thats for sure; and he will most certainly be missed.

If only Radio wasn't forced to burn his redshirt due to ****-poor QB depth and SteMo could get a year of development, how better could he have been.

It still makes me laugh when people blame Stemo for our defensive issues. Kid had a pretty good season still. I'd be willing to bet, 80% of the college football world would have loved to have him for their QB. He had probably 2 pretty bad games, and a couple average games. What people who are just looking at his stats don't seem to realize is how many TD and catches are dropped. In that Pitt game, there were like 3 (15+ yard wide open) TD passes dropped in the first qtr. Also, at least 4-5 of his ints came off a receiver not catching the ball or it bouncing off someone into the defenders.

Lets not forget at least half of the season (7 games maybe?) he had an injured ankle/leg/whatever and that about the time his worst games came.

He might not have been a 1st rounder, AA, or a heisman player, but I was satisfied to have him as our QB, especially when I thought he was going to be a scrub when he first started. Kid is always going to be a cane to me, even with the snickers.

Let's also not forget the many, many, many WRs or TEs streaking down the field wide open that Morris either didn't see or decided to ignore in favor of his first read, even if it was double or triple covered. Or the many wide open receivers to whom Morris short-hopped passes that could have been huge gains--if not scores--if Morris had put them anywhere near the receiver.

I'm sure that some of that was miscommunication...but fer Christ's sake, not the bulk of it.

Kid had a decent season, but his decision-making, field vision, and touch on short- or mid-range passes left a lot to be desired.

I'm glad he was here in our down time, and I wish him the best and hope some pro scout takes a chance on him as a late-rounder or UDFA based on his arm strength. But let's not lavish praises on the guy.

Advertisement
Thanks for being the bridge QB between the previous disaster and the winning that's to come in the future, Stephen.

Looking forward to seeing a QB who can complete passes between the hashes and execute simple screens. SM's limitations caused a lot of problems in the types of plays we could call, IMO.

Let's also not forget the many, many, many WRs or TEs streaking down the field wide open that Morris either didn't see or decided to ignore in favor of his first read, even if it was double or triple covered. Or the many wide open receivers to whom Morris short-hopped passes that could have been huge gains--if not scores--if Morris had put them anywhere near the receiver.

I'm sure that some of that was miscommunication...but fer Christ's sake, not the bulk of it.

Kid had a decent season, but his decision-making, field vision, and touch on short- or mid-range passes left a lot to be desired.

I'm glad he was here in our down time, and I wish him the best and hope some pro scout takes a chance on him as a late-rounder or UDFA based on his arm strength. But let's not lavish praises on the guy.

Lets also not forget as mentioned that he was hurt and it was obviously ******** with his mechanics most of the season which likely is the reason for a lot of those short hop throws. How do you know he did not hit those wide open WR/TE streaking down field because he simply could not make the throw accurately with the injury and it was a big risk. As far as most of those guys being open, it's laughable, because Coley runs those streaks constantly so most defenses are already set to stop them leaving no option but to throw to the closer guy who might have been covered.

I'm not saying Morris was great at reading plays, but the kid was not a scrub by any means. Maybe you should go back and watch Kirby Freeman, or JH and see how bad our offense was with those guys. Too many people here blame Morris for our issues when the kid had a pretty good year, one in which I will gladly take.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back