Steele isnt IT

Fly1

Covert Bag Man
I don't understand the love affair with Kevin Steele. He's had some big gigs, but he was basically replaced everywhere.

1980 Tennessee (SA)
1980–1981 Tennessee (GA)
1982 Tennessee (OLB)
1983 New Mexico State (LB)
1984–1986 Oklahoma State (LB/TE)
1987–1988 Tennessee (DB)
1989–1994 Nebraska (LB)
1995–1998 Carolina Panthers (LB)
1999–2002 Baylor
2003–2006 Florida State (LB)
2007 Alabama (DC)
2008 Alabama (DHC/ILB)
2009–2011 Clemson (DC/LB)
2013 Alabama (director player personnel)
2014 Alabama (LB)
2015 LSU (DC/LB)
2016–2020 Auburn (DC)
2020 Auburn (interim HC/DC)

I'm not defending what Baker has done. There must be a change, but Steele isn't it either.

One more thing...who else is sick and tired of seeing our stadium having a big game played in it....and we ain't playing in the game

Advertisement
I've been saying it for a while, but I would throw Strong in the same boat

hasn't done anything relevant on defensive side of the ball in more than a decade and that was with the most stacked team in the nation. All three teams he was the head coach at had **** poor defenses

hasn't done anything relevant on defensive side of the ball in more than a decade and that was with the most stacked team in the nation. All three teams he was the head coach at had **** poor defenses
I agree 100%

I agree to an extent. At some you have to ask if you just want to replace baker or actually upgrade. I don’t believe in lateral mobility. So if If I’m manny, unless it’s a experienced slam dunk upgrade with the requisite energy or fit, are u sure u just want to bring in Someone just to make change. I don’t believe in that. I know Kevin Steele is a familiar name to most and was once a hot up and coming coach but he’s coming off his worse year at AU with a D that was supposed to be elite

Advertisement
Everybody gets replaced. It’s the nature of the business. Head Coach gets fired, new coach comes in, cleans house, and brings in “his guys”. Wash, rinse, repeat. Or Head Coach is in trouble because he’s losing games... BOT calls him in and says, “Coach you gotta make changes, or your *** is done. These boosters and fans want blood.” Head Coach finds a scapegoat (in this case Steele), and fires the man. It’s ALWAYS more than meets the eye when it comes to coaches getting hired and fired. Think about this. If he was that bad, he wouldn’t have kept getting those big jobs. How many big jobs have P. Nix, or D’Nofrio gotten since they got ****canned from here?

Beat Bama twice in last five years. Any other DCs that can say that?

That's the equivalent of us against FSU. No matter how one-sided the game may look for in team before kickoff, it doesn't always play out that way.

I would pass on Steele in the hopes of someone better. I would however gladly trade Baker and Manny's defense for probably a quarter of the DC's in the P5.

Advertisement
That's the equivalent of us against FSU. No matter how one-sided the game may look for in team before kickoff, it doesn't always play out that way.

I would pass on Steele in the hopes of someone better. I would however gladly trade Baker and Manny's defense for probably a quarter of the DC's in the P5.
Ehhh, Idt it’s the same as FSU at all.

Ehhh, Idt it’s the same as FSU at all.

It certainly is, every bit as much. That game is everything in that state and far more bitter than our rivalry with FSU. In particular to Auburn, that's their superbowl times three.

It certainly is, every bit as much. That game is everything in that state and far more bitter than our rivalry with FSU. In particular to Auburn, that's their superbowl times three.
I agree the rivary is the same. I just don’t agree with the fact that it’s an up in the air game like us & fsu. Bama has a MAJOR talent edge over Auburn.

Advertisement

Did Skrong also call plays as the HC? Maybe he's just another example of a guy who is a better coordinator than HC. Basically same boat as Diaz, Skrong guy built his rep as a DC, then as a HC he made bad choices for DC and had leaky defenses.

A big difference between Skrong and Steele is that Skrong is still highly respected by his peers, players, and HS coaches. He's tied into S Fl and Texas high schools. Steele's reputation is that he's a decent coordinator, but also a snake. Diaz needs a grown up to run the defense. I can't say whether Skrong has lost his touch or not as a DC until I see him in action again. I think he would clean up on the recruiting trail with T-Rob and address a lot of our concerns at LB.

I know everyone loved Marcus Freeman, but he was a dude born and raised in Ohio. In 2017, Cincy had 0 recruits from Florida. in 2018, just 2 (one from Pompano, one from J-Ville), in 2019, 1 (from Zephyr Hills), in 2020, 1 (from Lake City). Was a guy like Freeman without the Florida connections going to walk in Florida high schools and flash a smile, then have coaches lining up to send players to him? Recruiting is about building those relationships. There are going to be questions about almost every DC (****, you could even ask if Venables has "lost his touch" after that OSU beat down and giving up 40+ to a not that dynamic ND team). I'm more concerned about the recruiting (way too many misses at LB and CB), and having a coach who commands respect than I am about a guy being a defensive wizard.

Advertisement

sorry...Strong is a major improvement 🥺

I’m seeing posts bashing pretty much any potential DC that’s brought up on here. You don’t want Baker and you don’t want Manny calling plays either, not sure why on the latter.

What realistic option are y’all hoping for then? Seriously. Because I’m not seeing this option that is universally loved on here or even close to it.

So who does the CIS braintrust want Manny to hire? I can already sense that he’s going to be crucified on here no matter what he does.

Advertisement
Back