Off-Topic Steamship Gauges

ThomasM

Retired from college football
Picked these up today and thought I'd share. I don't find a lot of steamship items in Manitoba, and I honestly don't think anyone else had a clue what they were. Just finished the first round of cleaning. Hoping to have it bolted to the wall tomorrow.

The gauges are a full 8" each. The backing board is 42"+. It even has all the tubes and handles.

Attachments

• IMG_6699.JPG
    IMG_6699.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6698.JPG
    IMG_6698.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 13
Advertisement
I think these are fascinating inventions. What makes you interested in them, TM?

I think these are fascinating inventions. What makes you interested in them, TM?
Any antique that gives a snapshot of how people lived, worked, or played is interesting to me. When I think of steamships I think of a bygone era in transportation. A simpler time, yet, at the time, technologically advanced. I try to put myself in the shoes of the person watching these, making sure something terrible wasn't about to happen. :) It's just fascinating, to me.

I buy and sell a lot of antiques. Yes, part of it is to make a profit. However, the best part is finding a treasure and getting it into the hands of someone who appreciates it, and will take far better care of it than whoever owned it before me. Some people like finding homes for pets. I like finding homes for cool antiques. Knowing they will be preserved for years to come makes me happy.

Dew yu collect steam whistles?
Not at the moment. I have bid on some recently, but those always go a bit higher than I'd prefer buying them at. I tend to lean more to the items that slip under the radar. Lots of people collect the whistles, so it makes it a bit harder to snag them.

Advertisement
Picked these up today and thought I'd share. I don't find a lot of steamship items in Manitoba, and I honestly don't think anyone else had a clue what they were. Just finished the first round of cleaning. Hoping to have it bolted to the wall tomorrow.

The gauges are a full 8" each. The backing board is 42"+. It even has all the tubes and handles.
Very cool stuff 😎

Advertisement
Back