Stats for this year's team

Advertisement
Fire Blake James if DiMare is allowed to take over.

Advertisement
156th in OBP
211th in Slugging
236th in Runs Per Game
Ick.

^^^That's not the bats. That's not facing elite pitching. Some may be youth, but not a large part of it. That's just plain sorriness at the plate and how we're coached. Our hitting and the way the approach to hitting is coached is tantamount to No'Dfrio's vaunted 3-4 gap control D...and we all know how great that worked out.

Ick.

^^^That's not the bats. That's not facing elite pitching. Some may be youth, but not a large part of it. That's just plain sorriness at the plate and how we're coached. Our hitting and the way the approach to hitting is coached is tantamount to No'Dfrio's vaunted 3-4 gap control D...and we all know how great that worked out.

You mean like how Eddie Emerson from Maine has a 9.53 ERA with 3 K's against Texas Tech and Ohio, but managed to plow through us with 11 K's like Clayton Kershaw against Columbus High School?

Sadly, some people think a new crop of players will solve the problem. Then we remember that junior Romy Gonzalez struck out three more times last night after being a pretty elite hitter in high school.

You mean like how Eddie Emerson from Maine has a 9.53 ERA with 3 K's against Texas Tech and Ohio, but managed to plow through us with 11 K's like Clayton Kershaw against Columbus High School?
:zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: lol...Laughing to keep from crying at this point.

Sadly, some people think a new crop of players will solve the problem. Then we remember that junior Romy Gonzalez struck out three more times last night after being a pretty elite hitter in high school.
And since I'm drawing parallels between the FB team's defensive woes and our current baseball struggles...I guess this means that Romy = Chickillo?

I've posted this on this site before...but I hate players who think striking out "pretty" is a productive AB. It's like "hey, look how pretty I swing over and/or behind the ball right over the plate, don't I look like a great pro, MLB scouts? I mean...just think about how far that would have gone had I actually made contact..." >>>Not actually what's happening, but it sure feels like it. I'm sick of guys playing pretty. Get the bat on the ball, be aggressive on the basepaths when you do reach...get dirty, get the job done by any means necessary. I said it in another thread - but if you're already out-manned talent-wise or whatever, take chances - make mistakes of aggression if you're gonna make mistakes. Don't strike out in 50+% of your ABs in a midweek game against FIU. Shorten up your swing and put the ball in play...amazing things tend to happen when you simply put the ball in play and put the pressure on the defense to make a play.

Remember how teams like UCSB and Coastal Carolina had success a couple of years ago, just being pesky and aggressive all over the field? ****, it won Coastal the CWS. There is NOTHING in the rulebooks to say that Miami can't play that brand of baseball. Teams like that play that brand of baseball because they have less talent than their opponents overall. We have less talent overall than most teams we'll face this season (at least, we're playing like it currently)...so, why not switch it up? What's the worst that could happen? We lose a game apiece to Rutgers, Maine, FAU, and FIU? Well...we've already done that this season, so it can't get much worse. Plus...that kind of baseball is FUN to watch and to play. It's frustrating to the opponent, and keeps them off balance. I'd love nothing more than this team to say "fvck it", and just play that dirtbag brand of baseball. I'd almost guarantee you we'd play better, have more fun, and likely win more games.

That's admittedly a pipe dream, however.

Advertisement
This is neither here nor there, but there used to be a stigma associated with striking out. Now the goal is to hit a HR, and if you strikeout instead, it's no big deal.

We may have the least productive coaching staff in the NCAA .... we do less with more than anyone. We have poor evaluation, marginal recruiting, and dismal development. Add that up and what you get is what you have. .... The past 3years, this coaching staff has DESTROYED so much of the UM brand it took 45 years to build. Frack them.

Advertisement
From what I've heard through the grapevine is that Miami has its head in the sand in terms of analytics and using technology. It also doesn't help that we've got two white guys in charge who don't relate to the local kids who barely speak English.

We're basically stuck in the late 90s while everyone else is lapping us, most notably FIU (they are killing it in recruiting under their new coach).

Anyone who has excelled as a hitter for us lately has only done so because they've hired some local guy who offers all the technology that everyone else is using. So after practice they (Collins, Abreu) would go see this guy who would actually teach them how to be a hitter.

M orris should have been fired in 2008. What a train wreck of a program. If our baseball team is going to suck this bad, drop the program.

Advertisement
Anyone who has excelled as a hitter for us lately has only done so because they've hired some local guy who offers all the technology that everyone else is using. So after practice they (Collins, Abreu) would go see this guy who would actually teach them how to be a hitter.
Did not know this. It's worse than I thought. How in the fvck can we sell players on being the next Collins/Abreu/etc if "we" aren't even the ones teaching those dudes how to get better as players and get paid?

Just unconscionable.

Not sure that hitting coach was doing great work either in that case. Abreu didn't improve during his time here either. He hit .277 as a freshman with a .371 OBP and 61 strikeouts versus .285 with a .359 OBP and 59 strikeouts as a junior. Seems like Collins was just an outlier.

Advertisement
Back