State of Florida

Advertisement
It all comes down to the QB, the one thing each of the major Florida programs have been missing recently. It's no coincidence that the one Florida program that has been on the ascent recently -- UCF -- also had the best signal caller in Mckenzie.

UF is gearing up to make a run (hiring Brewster is a big giveaway), but I don't see them getting out of the SEC and the boosters will lose patience with Mullen in a few years.

It all comes down to the QB, the one thing each of the major Florida programs have been missing recently. It's no coincidence that the one Florida program that has been on the ascent recently -- UCF -- also had the best signal caller in Mckenzie.

UF is gearing up to make a run (hiring Brewster is a big giveaway), but I don't see them getting out of the SEC and the boosters will lose patience with Mullen in a few years.
I hope King can make this year for Miami...(providing we even get this year in). If King can do that and TVD can be a good QB maybe we can get some control back over the state. I got suckered in after watching the Louisville game last year and thought we had turned the corner...Boy Howdy, got that one wrong.

The one factor ignored is not just the recruits leaving the state, it is the programs like UCF, FIU, FAU and South Florida siphoning off what would be quality backups for us that had a chance to develop. Recruits want to play right away and these lesser programs offer that. The glaring missing element for us has been depth, something where in previous years our reserves often came in and played better than those they replaced. Throw in early entries and it is difficult to have the quality depth we were used to. The what if's are what if Kaaya played another year? What if Homer had played another year? What if Dee Jay played this year? None great enough to be quality for the NFL whereas one more year would've benefited us and them plus other players that left early only to be disappointed. Now the portal and a player like Irvin is reliable enough to back up the starters and potentially improve but floundering out there with no future, sad!

Advertisement

My man, I normally agree w u, but in CFB, QB is important yes, but it’s all about coaching & recruiting.

We should’ve hired Mullen, period. My man nailed it right on the head; in college, all you have to do is sell yourself to boosters, ADs, etc. We’ve had salesman here for 2 of the 3 regimes, and practically begged a guy to come out of retirement by sweetening the pot by giving him his biggest pay check and allowing his now unemployable son as the QB coach.

FSU hired a salesman in Taggart, and as predicted, FSU was ran like a Mickey Mouse Club.

UF went out & hired a proven head coach from the SEC ranks. Dude is goofy, but there’s no denying that he took a chitty MSU program and made them competitive in the SEC. He won as an OC from UF, and was familiar recruiting there.

If Manny fails again this yr, Miami needs to pull a FSU & get rid of him, no bull chit. We can’t afford another Golden tenure here. But not only should Diaz be shown the door, but Blake & Strawley as well.

We’ve had highly ranked QBs come through our doors since 05, and we have chit to show for it. We need a real coach, not a baby sitter, not an unproven guy, not a guy who barely hacked it in the AAC, not a guy who was way past his prime and wanted to retire, and not a journey DC w/ no experience.

We did waste a golden opportunity last season.

I’d say it comes down to the trenches..you can win 9/10 games annually with mediocre/solid smart QB play given the skill position talent we or they can get..but finding a line that can compete nationally is the problem with the Florida 3 imo..yea a superstar QB can put u over the top..but to be a solid program u need development in the trenches

My man, I normally agree w u, but in CFB, QB is important yes, but it’s all about coaching & recruiting.

We should’ve hired Mullen, period. My man nailed it right on the head; in college, all you have to do is sell yourself to boosters, ADs, etc. We’ve had salesman here for 2 of the 3 regimes, and practically begged a guy to come out of retirement by sweetening the pot by giving him his biggest pay check and allowing his now unemployable son as the QB coach.

FSU hired a salesman in Taggart, and as predicted, FSU was ran like a Mickey Mouse Club.

UF went out & hired a proven head coach from the SEC ranks. Dude is goofy, but there’s no denying that he took a chitty MSU program and made them competitive in the SEC. He won as an OC from UF, and was familiar recruiting there.

If Manny fails again this yr, Miami needs to pull a FSU & get rid of him, no bull chit. We can’t afford another Golden tenure here. But not only should Diaz be shown the door, but Blake & Strawley as well.

We’ve had highly ranked QBs come through our doors since 05, and we have chit to show for it. We need a real coach, not a baby sitter, not an unproven guy, not a guy who barely hacked it in the AAC, not a guy who was way past his prime and wanted to retire, and not a journey DC w/ no experience.

We did waste a golden opportunity last season.
With you all the way on Mullen. You'll find no bigger fan than I (even if he is goofy af). If he can find anything close to Dak at UF, them boys may have an outside shot.

Excellent podcast. Couldn't agree more with the saleman bit and the state of Florida recruiting leaves me with a pit in my stomach that out of state schools can "out recruit" us in our own back yard. This has to end. The only way it ends is by winning. You win by having the right coaches and infrastructure in place.

Last year was set up on a tee to turn around the program and recruiting with such a soft schedule. The play on the field was a disaster at times. You can blame QB play, Offensive Line, and kicking, but the problems were much deeper with the team lacking dicipline on and off the field, looking uninterested and unprepared after bye weeks.

I'm concerned that having King at QB is only going to mask the other problems and save Manny another year. To his credit he changed the staff quickly. Now he has to learn from his mistakes and install a winning culture not just talk about it.

Hopefully, we'll have a season this year. It sucks that the Spring was shortened with players learning a new offense, but this is Manny's opportunity to get the program right. There's a gold mine of top recruits in the 2021. How many of the top recruits, if any, depends on what type of season we have. It has to be an 11+ win season including a bowl win. Otherwise, we're stuck in mediocrity or worse.

Last edited:
Advertisement
With you all the way on Mullen. You'll find no bigger fan than I (even if he is goofy af). If he can find anything close to Dak at UF, them boys may have an outside shot.
I still don’t understand what has ppl “sold” on Mullen..I think he’s solid. Personally I don’t think he’d be good here abd I don’t think he’s gonna get UF beyond where they are currently at..at miss state he was up n down but very solid when he struck with Dak..and imo underachieved with that roster he partially built...at UF imo If he doesn’t strike gold/superstar at QB I don’t see him getting that program over the top. He’s a offensive minded coach..but ppl forget he had Tebow and Urbans system and weapons..then got deemed a offensive guru

FSU is a mess. Norvell will need one or two years just to make them competent again. But he will turn them around, which is why we need a new head coach ASAP. We can't afford to get behind UF and FSU.

UF is a major concern. Mullen has over-recruited at OL the last two years, grabbing as many guys as he could in the hope that a few might pan out. From what I saw late last year, their line was getting better, and going forward, it will likely start being pretty decent. And the way they are loading up on defensive linemen is a problem too. The last thing we need is the Gators winning with regularity again, and coming down here cherry picking top players out of South Florida every year. On the positive side, my gut tells me that Mullen isn't a championship level coach that will have them reliving their Urban Meyer years. He's more of a slow and steady rebuild type, so we have time to get back on track before Florida can build a fence around their part of the state.

UM has to get rid of Manny Diaz. I'm sorry, but he's not the guy. Somewhere out in the other 49 states is a young, energetic guy who has proven he can win 10, 11, or 12 games per year at Nowhere St. An actual football mind with a fire lit under his ***, not some slimy politician who tolerates dancing on the sideline while losing to a directional school. We basically need to find another Jimmy Johnson. Even if we can only have him for five years, I'll take it. We just need a fixer who will come in, rebuild the culture, get guys to buy in, and recruit the **** out of Dade and Broward counties. Get the train rolling and this program will dominate again. There's too much talent in our backyard for us not to be good every year.

Interesting. Hope we get this season in. King/Lash combo should be lethal. Still not sure about Manny. As much as I don't like UF, Mullen > Manny at this point. Fortunately for us, Half *** U has more issues than we do. 🙏 COVID19 is eradicated. Let's go Canes

All signs point to us pulling the plug on manny soon.

They didn’t even mention his staff in that short clip. It’s bc our staff is a complete joke. Manny has had enough time to realize how subpar his staff is and has yet to make a change defensively.

I said last year we would be lucky to win 7 games.

We will be lucky to win 6 games this year.... if we have a season.

Obstacles:

No spring.
New offense.
New offensive coaches
New QB.
Replacing DJ13
No WRs
Same OL issues.

Replacing Shaq, Finley
Weak secondary.

We have the same issues as last season add in more. Manny needs to be let go at seasons end. Enough salesman. Get a guy who can coach.

Advertisement
Miami has had two major hurdles to overcome that UF and FSU haven’t had to deal with. The first one being a cheap *** athletic department. That one seems to be in the past as they’ve loosened up the purse strings a little in recent years. They’ll never spend what the big boys do but at least they’re attempting to be competitive with their money now. The other problem was hiring super conservative coaches. The brass at UM is so worried about another Pell Grant or Shapiro situation, they’ve hired a bunch of stiffs who were too scared to try anything new or outside their comfort zone. We end up getting stuck with a bunch of mediocre guys playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Not sure if Diaz falls into that category yet. His jury is still out. Seems like a good x and o guy but leadership seems to be lacking. It really all comes down to how well the offense plays this season. Diaz has hitched his wagon to Lashlee with the assumption that an improvement on offense will translate to big win totals. If Lashlee flops, he’ll be canned no matter how well the defense plays.

Miami has had two major hurdles to overcome that UF and FSU haven’t had to deal with. The first one being a cheap *** athletic department. That one seems to be in the past as they’ve loosened up the purse strings a little in recent years. They’ll never spend what the big boys do but at least they’re attempting to be competitive with their money now. The other problem was hiring super conservative coaches. The brass at UM is so worried about another Pell Grant or Shapiro situation, they’ve hired a bunch of stiffs who were too scared to try anything new or outside their comfort zone. We end up getting stuck with a bunch of mediocre guys playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Not sure if Diaz falls into that category yet. His jury is still out. Seems like a good x and o guy but leadership seems to be lacking. It really all comes down to how well the offense plays this season. Diaz has hitched his wagon to Lashlee with the assumption that an improvement on offense will translate to big win totals. If Lashlee flops, he’ll be canned no matter how well the defense plays.

I think Diaz is ****ed either way. The defensive roster is filled with all of “his” guys. And outside of a few names we are very average and devowed of talent and depth.

Eventually the defense is gonna come crashing down.

If Mullen as head coach of Miami had:

A. Started Taco Hotdog over Trask, who is clearly the better QB.

B. Called those two passing plays that resulted in interceptions which should have cost them the game against a team that lost to FIU, Duke and LaTech in consecutive weeks.

Y'all would have already flown 16 banners.

GTFOH with this Mullen bull****.

Advertisement
FSU is a mess. Norvell will need one or two years just to make them competent again. But he will turn them around, which is why we need a new head coach ASAP. We can't afford to get behind UF and FSU.

UF is a major concern. Mullen has over-recruited at OL the last two years, grabbing as many guys as he could in the hope that a few might pan out. From what I saw late last year, their line was getting better, and going forward, it will likely start being pretty decent. And the way they are loading up on defensive linemen is a problem too. The last thing we need is the Gators winning with regularity again, and coming down here cherry picking top players out of South Florida every year. On the positive side, my gut tells me that Mullen isn't a championship level coach that will have them reliving their Urban Meyer years. He's more of a slow and steady rebuild type, so we have time to get back on track before Florida can build a fence around their part of the state.

UM has to get rid of Manny Diaz. I'm sorry, but he's not the guy. Somewhere out in the other 49 states is a young, energetic guy who has proven he can win 10, 11, or 12 games per year at Nowhere St. An actual football mind with a fire lit under his ***, not some slimy politician who tolerates dancing on the sideline while losing to a directional school. We basically need to find another Jimmy Johnson. Even if we can only have him for five years, I'll take it. We just need a fixer who will come in, rebuild the culture, get guys to buy in, and recruit the **** out of Dade and Broward counties. Get the train rolling and this program will dominate again. There's too much talent in our backyard for us not to be good every year.
Ill disagree about Manny until this season (hopefully we have one). Although I am one of the guys that feels we wont be as different on offense as everyone else thinks, because our OL is as bad as it gets.

I, too, noted that Mullen has been doing on the OL as far as recruiting. It is certainly not a bad thing to do this. I understand that you have to focus on skill guys, etc., etc, but if you dont have OL you dont have ****.

Im willing to hold out on Manny for now...I just think all the effort that was put into fixing the offense will come up a little short, due to the Line being so bad. Justice is the one guy that didnt really fit what I thought Manny was try to do. I think the guy is a pretty good hire, I just dont see the fit. Everything said spread the ball and score lots of points but Justice. His history shows he can produce some good lineman, but he's thrived with teams that run the ball very well. I am not so sure he is going to take our soft *** line and turn them into Maulers!!

Last edited:
I still don’t understand what has ppl “sold” on Mullen..I think he’s solid. Personally I don’t think he’d be good here abd I don’t think he’s gonna get UF beyond where they are currently at..at miss state he was up n down but very solid when he struck with Dak..and imo underachieved with that roster he partially built...at UF imo If he doesn’t strike gold/superstar at QB I don’t see him getting that program over the top. He’s a offensive minded coach..but ppl forget he had Tebow and Urbans system and weapons..then got deemed a offensive guru
Mullen is a mediocre recruiter, but he has won big games with inferior talent and he schemes around his talent and personnel. He wins 10 games minimum last 3 seasons w Miami's exact roster.

He was Jankovichs choice to take over and that man knew lil something about hiring coaches.

Honestly, we should've won against UF last season. Mullen was the difference.

We've been here before with first year coaches and one year is too soon to ascertain competence. Diaz made a mistake with Enos and took too long to take control of the defense. The areas we suck at Diaz is making every attempt to correct. Perhaps many forget how loyal Golden was to his crappy staff. JJ had to replace the staff he inherited before he got us great. This coaching carousel has to succeed at some point and I have a gut feeling Diaz is aware and capable of fixing what is broke. This is a hunch only but I think Diaz needs to be stronger and more disciplinarian. I wonder how he deals with discipline since Tatum and Williams seemed to be problems that never got any wraith from Diaz. I wonder if the players have any measure of (not the best word) fear of getting called into his office.

Advertisement
Back