Stat Roll -- End of Regular Season

As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored into these numbers.

These numbers will jockey a bit after this week and then the bowls, but here is where Miami stands nationally at essentially the end of a bizarre season.

Offense:

Yards per play: 40th (5.97 YPP)
Yards per game: 33rd (432.6 YPG)
Points per game: 26th (34.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 32nd (269.4 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 43rd (62.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 33rd (8.1 YPA)
Passer rating: 27th (149.91)
Rushing yards per game: 66th (163.2 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 74th (4.16 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 102nd (2.9 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 57th (41.78%)
4th down conversion %: 17th (71.4% -- 10 for 14)
TFLs allowed per game: 120th (8.2 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 81st (58.97% TD rate, 23 TDs in 39 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 21st (35 scores in 39 chances)
Field goal %: 12th (18 out of 20)
PAT %: 1st (36 out of 36)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 20th (153)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 16th (53)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 11th (30)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 15th (14)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 14th (8)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 8th (5)
70+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 4th (4)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 63rd (5.66 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 44th (26.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 59th (226.8 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 75th (62.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 26th (6.7 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 46th (130.0)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 81st (180.6 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 89th (4.77 YPA)
Sacks per game: 28th (2.8 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 44th (38.1% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 54th (52.9% allowed)
TFLs per game: 4th (8.6 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 35th (56.1% allowed -- 23 TDs in 41 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 59th (82.93% allowed -- 34 scores in 41 chances)
Punting: 3rd (47.09 Yard average)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 117th (162) -- 4th worst of all teams to play 10 or less games
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 110th (53) -- 9th worst
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 101st (23)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 95th (11) UNC had *SIX* plays of 40 or more yards
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 114th (8) UNC had *FIVE* plays of 50 or more yards
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 104th (4) UNC had THREE plays of 60 or more yards

Team Stats:

Penalties: 109th (7.8 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 110th (69.9 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 26th (0.60 per game -- 16 takeaways, 10 giveaways)
Time of possession: 105th (27:47 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 25th (Avg 72.5 plays per game)

Takeaways:

Uhh….what was that? Seriously. What the fvck was that? I truly cannot process what I watched on Saturday, so it's going to take me until later in the week to truly be able to put it into words, but as we all know it was the worst defensive performance in the history of the school. And, considering the opponent, the offense wasn't an incredible amount better than the defense. Looking first at the offensive numbers, I think you have to say this year was a definite success on that side OVERALL for the entire season, considering where we've been. Yes, we know we upgraded at QB and OC, and we can all wish and pray as much as we want that we'd immediately turn into an offensive juggernaut overnight, but truthfully that's not very realistic. What we did do is make tremendous strides in just about every single category. 34.0 PPG is a fantastic number, YPP was WAY up, explosive plays were way up. A lot of things to build on, for sure. But we still are not a dominating run blocking team...that needs to continue to improve. Way too many TFLs and sacks, just like previous years. The play to play execution still needs to get a lot better. The explosive plays saved us a lot of times, but we need to be more consistent on that side as we move into (hopefully) Year 2 of Lashlee. Year 1 was very, very promising. Going from 90th-100th in just about every metric to Top 30 in many is a heck of a jump. Now next year, can Top 30 become Top 15? Or Top 10? We'll see, but I think everyone has to agree we're headed in the right direction overall on that side.

On defense, wow. It's genuinely not possible to be worse than what we just witnessed. I have always felt the board was too harsh on the defense overall since Manny first came here 5 years ago, but I don't think there's any possible way to avoid a change, or multiple changes, on that side of the ball. Manny's defenses his 3 years as DC finished 14th in the country in YPP allowed in 2016, 8th in 2017, and 3rd in 2018. Baker's defense was 14th in year 1, and after that violent prison rape last weekend, we now sit at 63rd in the country in YPP allowed. Even before this throttling, it was apparent the defense had taken a step back this year. So, while I normally don't advocate for someone losing their job based off 1 football game, I think when you've got 2 years of evidence of a slow erosion and it culminates in a truly historically dreadful performance, someone's head has to roll. So, IMO, Manny has a very tough decision. With Enos, there were VERY little positives at all, and he didn't have much of a personal relationship with him. So, he was smart, and wasn't going to tie his dream job to the Dan Enos train. This one is a lot touchier. He's a defensive guy. He's in every defensive meeting. Baker is a protégé of his. They've known each other personally for 10 years, Baker was a GA for him at Texas, coached under him at LA Tech. This is a MUCH harder decision for him to make. And while the defense has gotten worse and what we saw Saturday was a complete catastrophe the likes of which the program has never seen, there has been SOME success on defense the past 2 years. Whereas with Eons, it was an abomination for the vast majority of the season.

But 10.37 yards per play. 554 yards rushing. 0 punts. 62 points. Just all completely inexcusable.

Advertisement
As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored into these numbers.

These numbers will jockey a bit after this week and then the bowls, but here is where Miami stands nationally at essentially the end of a bizarre season.

Offense:

Yards per play: 40th (5.97 YPP)
Yards per game: 33rd (432.6 YPG)
Points per game: 26th (34.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 32nd (269.4 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 43rd (62.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 33rd (8.1 YPA)
Passer rating: 27th (149.91)
Rushing yards per game: 66th (163.2 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 74th (4.16 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 102nd (2.9 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 57th (41.78%)
4th down conversion %: 17th (71.4% -- 10 for 14)
TFLs allowed per game: 120th (8.2 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 81st (58.97% TD rate, 23 TDs in 39 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 21st (35 scores in 39 chances)
Field goal %: 12th (18 out of 20)
PAT %: 1st (36 out of 36)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 20th (153)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 16th (53)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 11th (30)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 15th (14)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 14th (8)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 8th (5)
70+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 4th (4)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 63rd (5.66 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 44th (26.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 59th (226.8 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 75th (62.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 26th (6.7 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 46th (130.0)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 81st (180.6 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 89th (4.77 YPA)
Sacks per game: 28th (2.8 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 44th (38.1% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 54th (52.9% allowed)
TFLs per game: 4th (8.6 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 35th (56.1% allowed -- 23 TDs in 41 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 59th (82.93% allowed -- 34 scores in 41 chances)
Punting: 3rd (47.09 Yard average)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 117th (162) -- 4th worst of all teams to play 10 or less games
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 110th (53) -- 9th worst
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 101st (23)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 95th (11) UNC had *SIX* plays of 40 or more yards
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 114th (8) UNC had *FIVE* plays of 50 or more yards
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 104th (4) UNC had THREE plays of 60 or more yards

Team Stats:

Penalties: 109th (7.8 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 110th (69.9 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 26th (0.60 per game -- 16 takeaways, 10 giveaways)
Time of possession: 105th (27:47 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 25th (Avg 72.5 plays per game)

Takeaways:

Uhh….what was that? Seriously. What the fvck was that? I truly cannot process what I watched on Saturday, so it's going to take me until later in the week to truly be able to put it into words, but as we all know it was the worst defensive performance in the history of the school. And, considering the opponent, the offense wasn't an incredible amount better than the defense. Looking first at the offensive numbers, I think you have to say this year was a definite success on that side OVERALL for the entire season, considering where we've been. Yes, we know we upgraded at QB and OC, and we can all wish and pray as much as we want that we'd immediately turn into an offensive juggernaut overnight, but truthfully that's not very realistic. What we did do is make tremendous strides in just about every single category. 34.0 PPG is a fantastic number, YPP was WAY up, explosive plays were way up. A lot of things to build on, for sure. But we still are not a dominating run blocking team...that needs to continue to improve. Way too many TFLs and sacks, just like previous years. The play to play execution still needs to get a lot better. The explosive plays saved us a lot of times, but we need to be more consistent on that side as we move into (hopefully) Year 2 of Lashlee. Year 1 was very, very promising. Going from 90th-100th in just about every metric to Top 30 in many is a heck of a jump. Now next year, can Top 30 become Top 15? Or Top 10? We'll see, but I think everyone has to agree we're headed in the right direction overall on that side.

On defense, wow. It's genuinely not possible to be worse than what we just witnessed. I have always felt the board was too harsh on the defense overall since Manny first came here 5 years ago, but I don't think there's any possible way to avoid a change, or multiple changes, on that side of the ball. Manny's defenses his 3 years as DC finished 14th in the country in YPP allowed in 2016, 8th in 2017, and 3rd in 2018. Baker's defense was 14th in year 1, and after that violent prison rape last weekend, we now sit at 63rd in the country in YPP allowed. Even before this throttling, it was apparent the defense had taken a step back this year. So, while I normally don't advocate for someone losing their job based off 1 football game, I think when you've got 2 years of evidence of a slow erosion and it culminates in a truly historically dreadful performance, someone's head has to roll. So, IMO, Manny has a very tough decision. With Enos, there were VERY little positives at all, and he didn't have much of a personal relationship with him. So, he was smart, and wasn't going to tie his dream job to the Dan Enos train. This one is a lot touchier. He's a defensive guy. He's in every defensive meeting. Baker is a protégé of his. They've known each other personally for 10 years, Baker was a GA for him at Texas, coached under him at LA Tech. This is a MUCH harder decision for him to make. And while the defense has gotten worse and what we saw Saturday was a complete catastrophe the likes of which the program has never seen, there has been SOME success on defense the past 2 years. Whereas with Eons, it was an abomination for the vast majority of the season.

But 10.37 yards per play. 554 yards rushing. 0 punts. 62 points. Just all completely inexcusable.

"Baker was a GA for him at Texas"

So..........Baker was there the last time Manny had a team run for over 500 yards?

So..........Baker was there the last time Manny had a team run for over 500 yards?
Of course. How else are you gonna learn to give up 500+ yards rushing in a game?

Whole lotta mediocre rankings in those stats, too.

No, Baker was with Manny his first 2 years in Austin. 2011 and 2012. In 2013, the year Manny was fired after 2 games, Baker had moved on to coach Safeties at Arkansas State.

In 2014, when Manny got the DC job at LA Tech, he hired Baker to coach Safeties, which he did for 1 year, and then when Manny went to Mississippi State in 2015, Baker got the DC job at LA Tech.

So he was a GA for him for 2 years at UT. Was a Safeties coach under him for 1 year at LA Tech. And has been the DC under him at Miami for 2 years, obviously.

Advertisement
Back