Starting DBs

canadianhurricane

Sophomore
From all accounts, there have been 5 DBs that's have stood out in spring ball (Howard, Burns, Bush, Crawford, and Carter). Plus Gunter has been hurt all spring.. Who do you think starts this fall?

I got

CB - Howard
CB - Burns
FS - Carter
SS - Crawford

Advertisement
I think Gunter ultimately gets his spot back, but Burns and Crawford will see a bunch of time.

Safety is up in the air, but they seem to rotate the safeties quite a bit.

Gunter is solid. If Artie has a good enough camp to take and keep that job, our secondary will be in great shape.

Advertisement
All will play. Staff refused to sit Highsmith and Rodgers despite being less talented. What makes you think they sit kids with more talent. I expect to see Bush, Jenkins, Carter and Crawford a ton at safety. Howard, Gunter, and Burns will be the top 3 CBs but we will see others like Crawford and Hope in there as well.

Can I see a lot of Dallas Crawford in a nickel/dime package please?
This.

If Bush & Carter start @safety, would be interesting to see when they choose to rotate Dallas in (i.e. later in the game, passing situations, etc.)... He seems like such a "renewed" playmaker back there.

So far, I prefer Howard & Gunter @CB... But Lord knows Artie is an athlete and will earn solid if not starting PT.

Advertisement
From all accounts, there have been 5 DBs that's have stood out in spring ball (Howard, Burns, Bush, Crawford, and Carter). Plus Gunter has been hurt all spring.. Who do you think starts this fall?

I got

CB - Howard
CB - Burns
FS - Carter
SS - Crawford

These are good problems to have. I am so happy we are not talking about Kacy Rodgers & Highsmith anymore. Carter, Crawford, and Bush look like grown MEN! I cant wait to see Kiy Hester, and Jenkins playing.

Artie still needs work. I feel more comfortable with Gunter, Howard, and Crawford.

I got

CB - Howard
CB - Burns
FS - Carter
SS - Crawford

These are good problems to have. I am so happy we are not talking about Kacy Rodgers & Highsmith anymore. Carter, Crawford, and Bush look like grown MEN! I cant wait to see Kiy Hester, and Jenkins playing.

Artie still needs work. I feel more comfortable with Gunter, Howard, and Crawford.

Couldn't agree more. The first sign of us being 'back' is having legit competition at every position. Players should fear the idea of being hurt and letting their backup get a chance to shine.

I love Gunter, but Artie's athleticism is elite. He's long, fast, and physical. I pray he puts it together soon....

All will play. Staff refused to sit Highsmith and Rodgers despite being less talented. What makes you think they sit kids with more talent. I expect to see Bush, Jenkins, Carter and Crawford a ton at safety. Howard, Gunter, and Burns will be the top 3 CBs but we will see others like Crawford and Hope in there as well.

We will need them all, but a nice rotation from the looks of things, still early but their respective attitudes are changing. Can't wait to see how to do under the lights.

Advertisement

I got

CB - Howard
CB - Burns
FS - Carter
SS - Crawford

Couldn't agree more. The first sign of us being 'back' is having legit competition at every position. Players should fear the idea of being hurt and letting their backup get a chance to shine.

I love Gunter, but Artie's athleticism is elite. He's long, fast, and physical. I pray he puts it together soon....

I hear you,, i just question his lateral movement and quickness to play corner..

I got

CB - Howard
CB - Burns
FS - Carter
SS - Crawford

I don't know about you guys...

But Hope has been impressive as well. He may not be a flat out cover corner, but the kid competes, and I love his mentality against the run game, which he backs up with a good thump. Right now, I have Hope behind Gunter, as a physical corner...

I still think Burns would make a better Safety. IMO, Burns' speed isn't enough to make up for his lack of pure instincts and ball skills. He's really better off facing the play, and using his speed to be a ball hawk. That said, here's my starting list:

CB - Howard, A. Crawford, Dortch, Elder
CB - Gunter, Hope, Mayes
FS - Bush, Burns, Fentress
SS - Carter/D. Crawford, Jenkins

The above might not match the average fan's opinion. But it's my opinion based on what i've seen so far. I understand Jenkins is hurt, but I still think Carter and D. Crawford are more impact payers. The difference with Gunter (also hurt), is that he's a physical corner, in which his blend for size and skills, is be considered the best on the team at what he brings to the table 'as a physical corner'.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1. Howard, Gunter, Bush, Carter...2. A.Crawford, Burns, D.Crawford, Jenkins... 3. Elder, Hope, Fentress, Hester..... 4. Dortch, Mayes, RL3, Gayot

It's going to be crazy competition because Howard is a already a stud and had a great spring , burns has the most upside and potential , Gunter started all last year and the safeties are all good at playing their game but none of them are a complete player

Finally some Miami-level depth at a position that should never NOT have Miami-level depth.

Advertisement
Back