Starting Db's

this is bold, but Im hoping that with T-Rob there is a clean slate, that every player in that room is starting off in the same place. The hope is that all four jobs in the secondary are opened up..
Indeed. Im not saying as starting lineup (due to blades), but it will be nice to have them on field together. This would be a nice little experiment going into the 2022 season.

Advertisement
Right, he's the reason we too much soft zone. Watch the UNC tape (1st series), we tried to press them and failed miserably. In zone coverage, he bails out too quickly and gets beat on outside routes.
This but I'd say we he played press man but not bump n run which could benefit him to do so with his size. What's the point of press man without getting your hands on a guy

I'm suprised there wasn't a thread on it already, lol. With T-Rob on staff, I'm good with M. Curtis at CB.

As of now, here's my projection:

CB: Blades
CB: Couch
Reserves: M. Clarke and/or G. Frierson (3rd CB) and M. Curtis/I. Dunson

I think D. Ivey may transfer.

FS: Bolden
SS: Hall
Reserves: J. Williams, A. Williams, K. Kitchens, B. Balom

I think J. Harrell gets move to Striker and A. Carter transfers or move to LB (should've been there since 2019).
Like it but I think a transfer will be the starter at CB. Also Carter should’ve been a LB after his soph season

for all this talk of the two starting CB's, in todays game don't you basically need 3 guys who are good enough to start, if not four?
Definitely, just think about when we play Bama.

Advertisement
No he doesn’t.

He’s stiff hipped, slow & has no football IQ, he’s unfixable.

He’s just not good enough to be a P5 starter.

Blades has tools to work with & can be improved, but Ivey is a lost cause & an overall bad eval, he is not a good Corner & there’s just no two ways about it.
Boy when LCE shoot he dont miss. Ivey has no instincts what so ever he looks lost even when he is in perfect position. His season would have looked a lot worse had we played better competition. He made the least amount of plays of any DB in college.

Last edited:
With Blades coming back we can move Couch to his natural nickel position:

CB1: Portal Guy (👀)
CB2: Blades/Ivey
Nickel: Couch
Great post right up to the part on CB2 when you added /Ivey. Smh he sucks and even Trob ain’t gonna be able to fix him. As matter a fact right when Trob sees him on the field and one of the other coaches say he was our starter last year all Trob is gonna do is either 😂 or 🤮. One thing he won’t do is ever put 4.9 40 out there to ever start again. Ivey wants to stay it’s for depth only, if not, they’re plenty of group of five schools he “might” be able to start for. Kid was never a power 5 DB starter, ever!

the ceiling with Ivey is that he's solid. That's it. which is OK if he's like your 4th or 5th corner...
He’s a depth player and nothing more. That’s what he always was until the inevitable misses on Tyson and Surtan abd then he become the “true Hurricane” the “south Florida dog” our dumbass fans always over hype when we miss out on the real power 5 starters. Smh god willing now with Trob here we won’t be missing on those guys and intern settling for “south Florida dogs” 🤢🤮

Great post right up to the part on CB2 when you added /Ivey. Smh he sucks and even Trob ain’t gonna be able to fix him. As matter a fact right when Trob sees him on the field and one of the other coaches say he was our starter last year all Trob is gonna do is either 😂 or 🤮. One thing he won’t do is ever put 4.9 40 out there to ever start again. Ivey wants to stay it’s for depth only, if not, they’re plenty of group of five schools he “might” be able to start for. Kid was never a power 5 DB starter, ever!

I put the “/“ because I would expect it to be an open competition but my mortgage would be on Blades winning that battle.

Advertisement
He’s a LB sized Striker that just so happens to play CB, he’s not a Corner.

OC’s pick on him because they know all they have to do is make him run more than 8 yards & he’ll be beat, anything vertical down the field & he’s trailing with no idea where the ball is, he’s as slow as a Long Snapper trying to cover WR’s down the field without leveraging to the sideline while being a Boundary corner, which literally what you’re supposed to do, he simply has no idea how to cover or transition in phase properly while keeping up with his man.

Idk what people be watching, but for the 2nd season in a row he gave up the most yards & TD’s & was targeted the most amongst the CB’s, that’s because OC’s/QB’s & WR’s absolutely salivate when they watch him on film, they know they’re about to have career day targeting him.
Folks thought he turned the corner when he "shut down" that FSU receiver, when really, their QB sucked and was pressured all game 🤷🏾‍♀️

Advertisement
I think Marcus Clarke has the tools to be really good and he flashed the few times he was asked to cover. I feel like, right now January 10th, Marcus Clarke is our best prospect at CB

@Tee3000 @Liberty City El

what are your opinions on Marcus Clarke?

I think TRob leveraging for the entire secondary room is huge. Reason being he knows his CB numbers are low you see guys like Tae/Gil and you can use them as CBs, be it at Nickel or the boundary but it'll be his job to deploy these guys in the way that puts them in the best situation to succeed. What'll be interesting is seeing will we let that wildcat/striker role be part of the secondary or part of the LB room? Makes a big difference. In a 4-2-5 you'd see the STR role part of the secondary thus meaning TRob gets guys like Chase Smith maybe even Huff added to his room.....ton of STR/Safeties but with good coaching you can see a guy transform from an okay player to a STUD....

Bolden
Hall
Carter
Balom
Tae
KWashington
KSmith
Gil
Chase
Ivey
Blades
Couch
Dunson
Clarke
JWill
Kinchens
MCurtis

Hopefully we can add a 2021 CB recruit and a portal CB.....we'd be in business boys

Indeed. Im not saying as starting lineup (due to blades), but it will be nice to have them on field together. This would be a nice little experiment going into the 2022 season.

Whoever we line up next season, I really think there has to be an emphasis on speed( really on the back 7, overall) And I want to emphasis not just stop watch speed, but guy who play fast. But there needs to be an upgrade in athleticism in the secondary, overall

Advertisement
I'm suprised there wasn't a thread on it already, lol. With T-Rob on staff, I'm good with M. Curtis at CB.

As of now, here's my projection:

CB: Blades
CB: Couch
Reserves: M. Clarke and/or G. Frierson (3rd CB) and M. Curtis/I. Dunson

I think D. Ivey may transfer.

FS: Bolden
SS: Hall
Reserves: J. Williams, A. Williams, K. Kitchens, B. Balom

I think J. Harrell gets move to Striker and A. Carter transfers or move to LB (should've been there since 2019).
Why would Ivey transfer ? He is a guaranteed starter next year because most of our corners sucks , I don’t know if it’s coaching or do they actually suck , probably it’s a lil of both.

Solid as in ''well, he's not garbage''. LOL. I know what Ivey is, I have no delusions of grandeur.

Right now, I'd give my left pinky for a Marcus Maxey-type of guy
Yep! Marcus Maxey AKA "The Pad" doesn't get enough credit for the excellent senior year he had in 2005. Maxey and Jennings AKA "The Club" were one of the top CB tandems in the nation in 2005. Jennings is "The Club" because of that huge arm cast he wore on the field back in 02. That thing was so damned big that it looked like he was chasing guys with a giant club in his hand lol. I remember Jennings chasing down Cedric Houston from the other side of the field to prevent a touchdown on the 1st play from scrimmage. It looked as though Jennings was running after him with a club so he could beat him with it lol.

maxey was also a great example of why bashing kids too early in their career is stupid. he put it together as a fifth year senior, and had a great year. but prior to that year he hadn’t been particularly good. maybe if he’d come along in the modern era where no kids redshirt because our depth is for ****. we’d never even know what he had in him.

Advertisement
Back