Star UTEP WR Jacob Cowing enters the portal

Briles is who I was referring to when I said we’re going to a more run friendly offense.

Briles is a run first OC with a good passing game, but his staple is the run game.
I thought Briles offense was run focused but using the vertical passing game to push back the secondary so the running game would gash the defense?

That 2015 Baylor offense was fun (not sure we would see that year 1). His Arky offense was as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I thought Briles offense was run focused but using the vertical passing game to push back the secondary so the running game would gash the defense?

That 2015 Baylor offense was fun (not sure we would see that year 1). His Arky offense was as well.
Baylor ran over UNC the same way UNC did against us

Advertisement
Baylor ran over UNC the same way UNC did against us
They had no choice. They were using RBs and WRs at QB. They didn’t have any of their top 3 QBs available for that bowl game. Was amazing to see them do what they did on offense that game honestly.

All are unproven and you saw what happened when Rambo stepped into the room last year. I remember posting we’d be taking a portal wr and people were like “ we don’t need a wr, we have a loaded wr room” lol.

We lost our alpha number one and the number two. You absolutely take 1-2 wr’s. It’s Mario’s job to improve every group.
Same people who thought Harley was a #1

I'm not averse to adding a transfer, but we do have some talented young guns. It's a fine line to walk.....you want to breed competition, but you don't want to send the wrong message to guys like X and K Smith who (supposedly) have GREAT work ethics and have made a good # of plays in games. More portal help can subliminally tell them they aren't good enough. These guys aren't true freshman anymore.
If they have great work
ethics and attitudes they won't worry about more competition or lose their spots in the rotation.

We should be selective with this receiver portal addition.

Likens did a good job with this room. Key Smith is primed & ready for a bigger role. He was phased out of the game plan late in the year while we were record chasing with Rambo & Harley. A jump in production for him is reasonable & forseeable given his talent & production already posted.

Restrepo has shown enough to carry the slot mantle from Harley. Brinson, George & B. Smith all showed flashes that suggest they’re ready for more. This room has been transformed from where it was a couple years ago. Good group with good traits & intangibles.

A single grad transfer should be sufficient. No need to log jam the depth chart taking a multi year transfer or multiple guys. Coleman & Horton coming in as well. Further, we also got Mallory & Arroyo that can schemed out wide. Rooster too. The 23’ class is stacked locally at receiver. Sell early PT to those guys & get them on campus. Receivers can contribute immediately in college.

Use the scholarship on the trenches & other needs. This receiver room just needs a cherry on top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We should be selective with this receiver portal addition.

Likens did a good job with this room. Key Smith is primed & ready for a bigger role. He was phased out of the game plan late in the year while we were record chasing with Rambo & Harley. A jump in production for him is reasonable & forseeable given his talent & production already posted.

Restrepo has shown enough to carry the slot mantle from Harley. Brinson, George & B. Smith all showed flashes that suggest they’re ready for more. This room has been transformed from where it was a couple years ago. Good group with good traits & intangibles.

A single grad transfer should be sufficient. No need to log jam the depth chart taking a multi year transfer or multiple guys. Coleman & Horton coming in as well. Further, we also got Mallory & Arroyo that can schemed out wide. Rooster too. The 23’ class is stacked locally at receiver. Sell early PT to those guys & get them on campus. Receivers can contribute immediately in college.

Use the scholarship on the trenches & other needs. This receiver room just needs a cherry on top.
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

At WR, my top 2 in the Portal are Jacob Cowing & Trey Palmer.

Any one of them two would be great to me, both have been productive & have shown in the right offense they can be legit assets, explosive speed & playmaking ability, great hands & proficient route runners. With a great QB either one is a big time impact player.

Last edited:
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

At WR, my top 2 in the Portal are Jacob Cowan & Trey Palmer.

Any one of them two would be great to me, both have been productive & have shown in the right offense they can be legit assets, explosive speed & playmaking ability, great hands & proficient route runners. With a great QB either one is a big time impact player.

Right now, Cowing would be my WR1 from the Portal for this team.

Some people have said we need two WRs from the portal, and I am not sure I agree...Miami has a good quarterback...you have to expect him to make others better and you have to expect some of the talent to step up/emerge. After Cowing...if you really want someone and youve got a scholly to burn...go get a guy with size, I guess.

Some people have said we need two WRs from the portal, and I am not sure I agree...Miami has a good quarterback...you have to expect him to make others better and you have to expect some of the talent to step up/emerge. After Cowing...if you really want someone and youve got a scholly to burn...go get a guy with size, I guess.
The fact that Leach wants him at Miss St & Cowing didn’t come from an Air Raid system lets me know all I need to know.

His market shares in a high volume pass offense would have him top 10 in receptions & yards & he was already 7th in yards this season with an inaccurate QB lol.

We lose I think 5 wr this off season? and have only signed one (so far) in the 2022 class. Unless you think we had way too many on the roster, I think we absolutely need two from the portal even with Coleman. I don’t think it’s a talent issue but a numbers issue, I’m pretty high on our young guys but am concerned about injury, and this scenario (assuming we get Coleman) still drops our scholarship wideouts by 1.

Advertisement
We lose I think 5 wr this off season? and have only signed one (so far) in the 2022 class. Unless you think we had way too many on the roster, I think we absolutely need two from the portal even with Coleman. I don’t think it’s a talent issue but a numbers issue, I’m pretty high on our young guys but am concerned about injury, and this scenario (assuming we get Coleman) still drops our scholarship wideouts by 1.

We lose 5 technically but in reality 3 of them (Pope, Wig, Payton) were lost wellllllllll before the season ended. Now, we probably will lose more to the portal this season so I see where you are coming from but

K Smith
Brinson
George
B Smith
*Redding - portal candidate
*Worsham - portal candidate
Horton
Coleman
Portal 1

I could see the use for another one IF it’s a premium guy, but I don’t think it’s a must.

If you're digging into the Portal, you're looking for contributors. I don't think we need two contributors. One would be nice, especially one like Cowing that is an NFL draft pick right now. Two seems unnecessary when you want our young players to step up. However, I do agree, we need some depth...so if you do grab portal WR2, then I'd like a guy that adds something a little different, which is why I said someone with size. We do not have a WR over 6'2", so give me a guy that is 6'3" or more if we get a WR2.

It is one of the reasons why I pounded the table for Samouri Toure last year from Montana. Was a legit X WR with size. Would have taken Toure, too, even with Rambo.

If you're digging into the Portal, you're looking for contributors. I don't think we need two contributors. One would be nice, especially one like Cowing that is an NFL draft pick right now. Two seems unnecessary when you want our young players to step up. However, I do agree, we need some depth...so if you do grab portal WR2, then I'd like a guy that adds something a little different, which is why I said someone with size. We do not have a WR over 6'2", so give me a guy that is 6'3" or more if we get a WR2.

It is one of the reasons why I pounded the table for Samouri Toure last year from Montana. Was a legit X WR with size. Would have taken Toure, too, even with Rambo.
This is why i would still take Ladson as portal WR2, we have zero size at WR and he's worth the risk/reward imo

But that changes nothing with making Crowing portal WR1 our top target and priority

Advertisement
Nothing wrong with using the portal to enhance an area of perceived strength whether that’s a depth move or WR1 type move. It’s not like we’re tight with numbers.

Another point is this could be TVD’s last year, we better not run into depth issues and waste him should the injury/portal bug hit.

Nothing wrong with using the portal to enhance an area of perceived strength whether that’s a depth move or WR1 type move. It’s not like we’re tight with numbers.

Another point is this could be TVD’s last year, we better not run into depth issues and waste him should the injury/portal bug hit.
Also, I think the less depth and talent we have at receiver the more Mario may be tempted to revert to the more ground and pound mindset vs airing it out with TVD.

Advertisement
Back