Star ratings in NFL

Sooch

Redshirt Freshman
Gents, there has been so much talk about how important it is to get 4 and 5 star guys. Here is a stat for you. Listed below is the % of total players drafted in the NFL in past 5 years by number of stars:

5 Stars - 1.3% (only 208 over that time)
4 stars - 11.4 %
3 Stars - 30.7 % (you don't think they are good huh?)
2 stars - 56.6% (***** the star system...it's a bunch of computer needs that have never played the game, out there rating kids at camps with no equipment on)

Just go get players!

Advertisement
Misleading statistics. There are way more 2 and 3 star ratings given out than 4 and 5 star ratings, therefore more 2 and 3 star players are out there, and therefore more will make the NFL.

Gents, there has been so much talk about how important it is to get 4 and 5 star guys. Here is a stat for you. Listed below is the % of total players drafted in the NFL in past 5 years by number of stars:

4 stars - 11.4 %
2 stars - 56.6% (***** the star system...it's a bunch of computer needs that have never played the game, out there rating kids at camps with no equipment on)

Just go get players!

Are you sure this isn't because there are more 2 star players than 5 star players? :p Quantity not quality isn't saying much.

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

Per NFL.com:

FBS schools sign about 2,700 football players each season. There generally are about 35 five-star prospects annually, meaning less than 1.5 percent of the players signed are five-star guys. Generally, there are about 275 to 300 four-star prospects annually, which means the majority of players who sign with colleges each season -- about 85 percent -- are two- or three-star guys.

Stars matter. They're certainly not everything, but they do matter. Anyone trying to make a case that they don't matter at all in 2015 is a flat-earther.

I get it... The point I was trying to make is that too much is made of 4 and 5 stars. 3 stars are critical to every team.

Advertisement
It comes down to identifying talent (this was what Butch was a master at). Those stats show that most of the talent in the NFL is comprised of 2 and 3 star players coming out of HS. All it means is that the talent is there if you have an eye for it.

The flip side of those stats is that players in HS identified as 4 and 5 stars have a much higher NFL draft rate. So, what I take from all this is that the people who assign stars to HS kids underrated a huge number of kids. It's up to college coaches to find the numerous quality kids that have been missed by the "experts".

Again, that's exactly what Butch was great at doing.

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

Go back to whereever it is you got those numbers from and tell us what percentage of 5 stars get drafted.
What % of 4 stars get drafted ?
What % of 3 stars get drafted ?
What % of 2 stars get drafted ?

Depending on what service your looking at-there will be about 25 five stars in a typical class every year but I will assume your service has 50 every year. That's 250 in 5 years and 208 were drafted so 84% were drafted.

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

Go back to whereever it is you got those numbers from and tell us what percentage of 5 stars get drafted.

Depending on what service your looking at-there will be about 25 five stars in a typical class every year but I will assume your service has 50 every year. That's 250 in 5 years and 208 were drafted so 84% were drafted.

This^^^^
Exactly what I was thinking but you put it way better than I could've. If a higher % of those getting 4 and 5 stars is getting drafted, that shows where we need to focus. I get that OP is talking about diamonds in the rough but I would imagine that those are few and far between to focus on that extensively.

Advertisement
I get it... The point I was trying to make is that too much is made of 4 and 5 stars. 3 stars are critical to every team.

If Clemson wins it this year, they would be like the 2nd team in 10 years to win a Championship without a majority of 4-5 stars on their roster ( yet they are close with 47% of the team as 4-5 stars)

The teams signing the most 4-5 stars are winning Rings, it's indisputable.

the miami hurricanes don't play in the nfl so what's your point op?

Colleges who have a higher percentage of 4 and 5 star athletes do better. period.

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

These stats are wrong. 208 over that time representing 1.7% would mean 12,176 total players drafted over that period. That's just flat wrong. There are 7 rounds and 31 players per round, which means 217 per year and 1085 draft picks over 5 years.

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

This^^^^
Exactly what I was thinking but you put it way better than I could've. If a higher % of those getting 4 and 5 stars is getting drafted, that shows where we need to focus. I get that OP is talking about diamonds in the rough but I would imagine that those are few and far between to focus on that extensively.

His numbers are wrong. If 207 represents 1.7% then we are looking at over 12,000 draft picks over 5 years, which is clearly not right.

Advertisement

4 stars - 11.4 %

Just go get players!

This^^^^

His numbers are wrong. If 207 represents 1.7% then we are looking at over 12,000 draft picks over 5 years, which is clearly not right.

Yep the OP definitely isn't Asian...208 equals roughly 41 5* players drafted a year.

Advertisement
Back