Status
Not open for further replies.

Verobob

Redshirt Freshman
I have little faith in the "star" system. Moreover, correct me if I'm
wrong about the player, but didn't JJ recruit Russell Maryland
out of a Chicago HS with zero stars ?

Advertisement
Pretty sure it's been solidly proven that while being a 5 star doesn't guarantee success, they do preform well at a higher percentage than diamonds in the rough

So very sorry am I. Just didn't know that THIS THREAD had been on before BECAUSE
this is my FIRST visit to this board. !!!!

I have little faith in the "star" system. Moreover, correct me if I'm
wrong about the player, but didn't JJ recruit Russell Maryland
out of a Chicago HS with zero stars ?

Yup, Jim Brown was zero stars too..

Advertisement
Don't be dumb.

There are roughly 4,500 scholarships signed each National Signing Day with about 30 prospects receiving the heralded five-star ranking. An additional 400 will get four stars while the other 4,000 check in as three- or two-star prospects. So when a stat says only 16 five-stars were drafted against 71 two-stars (like in 2014), it’s utterly lazy reporting.

Every team that has won a national title since 1998, with the exception of Oklahoma in 2000, has had at least two top ten classes in the four years before winning a title.

Stars are not everything and they shouldn't be blindly trusted, but they absolutely matter.

In nearly 1,500 matchups between 2010-13, the “higher-ranked team according to the recruiting rankings won roughly two-thirds of the time” and the larger the talent differential, the easier it was to predict wins and losses. To quote the author, "it's a landslide."

Essentially, in a world where it’s nearly impossible to predict outcomes, picking games based purely on star rankings is actually your best bet.

Landing the top class has led directly to competing for a national title over the last 10 years. Higher ranked recruiting classes regularly defeat lower ranked classes at nearly a 70 percent clip. And higher ranked prospects are significantly more likely to get drafted by the NFL than lower ranked ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back