Staff

The concerns over the staff are legit. There are some question marks. No doubt.

But, it's helpful if we separate the coaching skills vs. recruiting skills.

Some position coaches or, better said, positions - are better suited as recruiters than teachers. For example, the RB coach position. Historically, this position is more recruiting than coaching (Soldinger was an exception). You need this position coach to be a heckuva recruiter.

Under those parameters, Brown gets a failing grade from me because he doesn't do either particularly well.

Rumph - "C" recruiter so far but "A" for coaching.
Dugans - "B+" recruiter and "A-" for coaching.

You can do this for each coach. Some coaches do both well. Some are hired predominantly for coaching, while others mainly produce on the recruiting front. Diaz and Kool can be plus average recruiters because they can coach the chit out of the players. Brown doesn't have that luxury.

Just a quick question.....wtf does it take for you to earn an "F" in recruiting? Because by EVERY definition, that's Rumps reality grade.

Brown signed just one RB in the '17 class and one RB in the '18 class. Burns is a walking medical unit. Choc is unproven and coming off an ACL injury. Gus might transfer yet Brown went all in on McFarland and got played. That's a straight "F".

Rumph wasn't nearly as bad. Dean and Bandy at corners with Dallas eventually ending up there (IMHO). He also played a role in flipping Herbert. That's average work. That's a "C" in my book.

Advertisement
Rumph did a GREAT job with Corn and Colbert in just one offseason. His recruiting has been lackluster but his coaching thus far deservedly keeps him on the staff.

The NCAA going up to 10 coaches on a staff might be a boon for us...just don't expect the position to be used on the offensive side of the ball.

Right now, counting Richt senior (the true OC), we have 6 guys heading the offensive side of the ball, and 4 defensively.

If this past recruiting cycle showed anything, it's that the defensive staff needs the contributions of another ace recruiter. They should find one, put him in charge of the LBs (overseen, of course, by Diaz).

The coaching staff issues are legit.

Look i don't mind that Richt wants to call plays. He's the head coach. He'll live or die by it. And Richt is by all accounts working his *** off to earn that big paycheck. What ****es me off are his hires.

We have this cat Tom Brown that is basically stealing money from us. What the **** does he do? He don't call plays. He don't recruit. So what does he do? Why are we paying this guy 750k to coach RBs?

The same can be said for Jon Richt, who is basically another waste of a valuable coaching spot but at least he got us Nkosi Perry. Of course we all know about Rumph's incompetence.

We basically have a staff handcuffed with THREE nepotistic hires. The coach's son, the 29 year old OC in name only, and a HS coach running our CBs. I'm fine with the coach's son. That's just one spot. But then to go on and waste some of our most valuable "recruiting" positions and a boatload of $$ on Rumph and Brown?? jesus man.

Cat has a good case no doubt. Now while I won't go as far as he because they only been here 1 year, I will say that we need at minimum an offensive consultant to:

1. Add diversity (more play variety)
2. Increase Pace of play calling and the offense in general
3. Expand pass route options
4. Integrate more Pro Spread Spread Set plays.

I know his son not truly qualified, but ain't going nowhere. Brown and Rumph's fate should be decided based on 2018 RB & DB classes. If they can't close with all the available talent at those positions then you have to cut weight. It will be important that Rumph be replaced with a real pro at recruiting and coaching SOFL kids. Who? That I don't know. Maybe Robinson from USCe or Ed Reed?

Advertisement
The NCAA going up to 10 coaches on a staff might be a boon for us...just don't expect the position to be used on the offensive side of the ball.

Right now, counting Richt senior (the true OC), we have 6 guys heading the offensive side of the ball, and 4 defensively.

If this past recruiting cycle showed anything, it's that the defensive staff needs the contributions of another ace recruiter. They should find one, put him in charge of the LBs (overseen, of course, by Diaz).

Is barrow available?

Is barrow available?

I'd take Hurlie back, simply for being the one guy in the room with a lick of sense in the infamous war room video.

Plus, our LB recruiting did set up Richt and company pretty well.

Rumph did a GREAT job with Corn and Colbert in just one offseason. His recruiting has been lackluster but his coaching thus far deservedly keeps him on the staff.

Agreed. My grade was purely based on his recruiting results. I gave him an "A" for his coaching. Rumph receives far too much criticism given the on field performance of his CBs. Brown, OTOH, was given a pass by most fans - until now.

The coaching staff issues are legit.

Look i don't mind that Richt wants to call plays. He's the head coach. He'll live or die by it. And Richt is by all accounts working his *** off to earn that big paycheck. What ****es me off are his hires.

We have this cat Tom Brown that is basically stealing money from us. What the **** does he do? He don't call plays. He don't recruit. So what does he do? Why are we paying this guy 750k to coach RBs?

The same can be said for Jon Richt, who is basically another waste of a valuable coaching spot but at least he got us Nkosi Perry. Of course we all know about Rumph's incompetence.

We basically have a staff handcuffed with THREE nepotistic hires. The coach's son, the 29 year old OC in name only, and a HS coach running our CBs. I'm fine with the coach's son. That's just one spot. But then to go on and waste some of our most valuable "recruiting" positions and a boatload of $$ on Rumph and Brown?? jesus man.

Blah blah blah

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back