Staff thoughts going forward

It shows you how much of a joke of an "achievement" 8 wins is in today's landscape. Those 8 wins included losses to FSU, WSU and Cinn. Any coach with a pulse could have won those games. Mark Richt definitely has a pulse. Those kids essentially coached themselves this year and won 8 games.

You will know pretty quickly if Mark Richt is the guy for Miami.

Low Bar

1. 10 wins BEFORE the ACCCG, and
2. Win the Coastal

If we can't do that next year, Mark isn't the guy.

Yeah, given the offensive line, and overall talent level, that's not happening year one

Pathetic porst. The talent and OL is fine. The coastal is **** and we don't play Clemson. We won 8 games with no ***ing coaching.

Advertisement
It shows you how much of a joke of an "achievement" 8 wins is in today's landscape. Those 8 wins included losses to FSU, WSU and Cinn. Any coach with a pulse could have won those games. Mark Richt definitely has a pulse. Those kids essentially coached themselves this year and won 8 games.

Low Bar

2. Win the Coastal

If we lose to Notre Dame and FSU (which is a really good possibility) that puts us in line to finish with 9 wins but also get an ACC Championship birth. I would be happy with that. That should be the first step to showing these young recruits that we're back. Gotta win the bowl game too.

Low expectations and zero logic.

We don't play Clemson this year. We lost to a bad OOC team last year (Cinn). The coastal is still ****. We won 8 games with ZERO coaching. If we had someone with a pulse, we win 2-3 of those games (we lost).

Mark needs to hit that Low Bar, he won 10 games in a harder conference on average. Why can't he do that at Miami right away?

Low Bar

2. Win the Coastal

Yep. It was proven once Larry Scott took over too. No offense to him as I think he's a good positions coach but this team could have won 8 games with Katie Meier as head coach. That's how useless and irrelevant Golden ended up being. The success of last year's team was completely disconnected from what anyone on that staff was doing. So to think that a REAL head coach can't come in here and actually contribute enough to increase our win total by two is setting the bar too low.

Exactly. No coaching = 8 wins and our schedule is a joke (no Clemson).

The O Line was young last year. They should improve just by having another year under their belt, not to mention the upgraded position coach.

Everyone should improve. Everyone. We have much better coaching. The ACC schedule is an utter joke (Clemson for NC State).

As I said in another thread next years goals should be in this order:
1. Win 10 games
2. Beat FSU

3. Win the Coastal
4. Win the bowl game

Bonus goals
5. Win ACC
6. Playoffs

FIFY

Totally disagree with this. Winning the coastal is the most important thing next year period. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Good call, I didn't mean it in that order literally. What I meant was, we should accomplish all 4 of these things: win 10 games, beat FSU, win coastal, win bowl game. I would agree that coastal is the most important thing but 10 wins = coastal champs.

Advertisement
As I said in another thread next years goals should be in this order:
1. Win 10 games
2. Beat FSU

3. Win the Coastal
4. Win the bowl game

Bonus goals
5. Win ACC
6. Playoffs

FIFY

Totally disagree with this. Winning the coastal is the most important thing next year period. Everything else will fall into place after that.

We should win 10 games easy!!! What if we lose to UNC and they go undefeated and win the coastal. We have a squad and a much better staff I'm encouraged big time...looking forward to spring camp

You had my interest until you said "the SEC is where it's at". You've been impressed by their coach hires? For chrissakes, Kirby Dumb just hired Mel Tucker as his DC.

I don't think it matters who Kirby hired as his DC as that will be his show.
Sort of similar to our HC and his co-OCs or even Saban and his DC or DBs coach.

there are a few factors we need to acknowledge before we make predictions:

1. recruits we bring in this year, and how passionate and hungry they are to win
2. the current team players say enough is enough and work their tails of with the new coaching staff (new coaches bring enthusiasm)

if we can do all that than i think we should do the following this upcoming year:

1. win coastal
2. beat fsu
3. be competitive in ACCCG
4. win bowl game

Year 2 is when we should be ready to role as a championship contender

Advertisement

Low Bar

2. Win the Coastal

Yep. It was proven once Larry Scott took over too. No offense to him as I think he's a good positions coach but this team could have won 8 games with Katie Meier as head coach. That's how useless and irrelevant Golden ended up being. The success of last year's team was completely disconnected from what anyone on that staff was doing. So to think that a REAL head coach can't come in here and actually contribute enough to increase our win total by two is setting the bar too low.

Before you discount 8 wins, I would refer you to the 2014 season.

I think we're fooling ourselves by putting expectations together too quick. Watch a spring game THEN assume. We ain't at signing day.

I mean, yes, but no. The spring game last year was atrocious and that lead to 8-4. I think OP is saying that with upgrading coaches at every spot and the same talent coming back minus Artie and Deon (the only two players we will miss) this team should win 10.

I've looked at the schedule. Go game by game and you will have a hard time finding more than 2 losses. It's very favorable.

Favorable schedule + IMPROVED coaching + experienced starters/talent returning = 10-11 wins.

11-1

Low Bar

2. Win the Coastal

Before you discount 8 wins, I would refer you to the 2014 season.

My dude [MENTION=2646]Consigliere[/MENTION] nailed it. Same sentiments. I LOVE Richt- but I need them results. Winning isn't hard here. 10 wins min next year. If my dude can't win 10 next year it's not a good sign. Nothing definitive either, but sill not gonna be happy.

We'll beat the teams we're supposed to.

If we do that this year - we beat Cincinnati & WSU, and lose to FSU, Clemson, and UNC. That puts us at 10-3. If you think we're more talented than UNC and would have won that game, then we would have played a better opponent in the bowl game than WSU, lost, and finished 10-3 anyways.

This is what everyone should expect. This is the reality of what Mark Right does. He beats the teams he should, and loses the big games.

Advertisement
OP said that Richt's staff is better at every single position. It's definitely better overall, by subtraction of some of the worst coaches, but did we upgrade at TE, WR and wherever Rict Junior is coaching?

If we do that this year - we beat Cincinnati & WSU, and lose to FSU, Clemson, and UNC. That puts us at 10-3. If you think we're more talented than UNC and would have won that game, then we would have played a better opponent in the bowl game than WSU, lost, and finished 10-3 anyways.

This is what everyone should expect. This is the reality of what Mark Right does. He beats the teams he should, and loses the big games.

With Richt we might have beaten FSU this year.

OP said that Richt's staff is better at every single position. It's definitely better overall, by subtraction of some of the worst coaches, but did we upgrade at TE, WR and wherever Rict Junior is coaching?

I'd say TE isn't better, WR is better, and QB is better, Coley coached QB's and I would say QB coach is a combo of both Richts (but is officially Jon)

Advertisement
I don't think the fact we have been down has anything to do keeping quality coaches away. I think though in some cases coaches with families will think twice about relocating to a major metro area like Miami. I grew up in Miami but relocated once I settled down and began raising kids. I thought Miami was great growing up but with a family you start thinking about other things and your priorities change. It's just the way it is.

Anyone with a pulse would have beaten FSU this year.

I'd say TE isn't better, WR is better, and QB is better, Coley coached QB's and I would say QB coach is a combo of both Richts (but is officially Jon)

Makes sense. Richt Senior will be involved on the QB side so that would be an upgrade over Coley. TE is the area we regressed on the coaching side but I guess we'll see.

Anyone with a pulse would have beaten FSU this year.

I can't argue with that. The post I was responding to said we would have lost to FSU this year, with Richt. I think with Richt we would have been a 2 loss team this year, and possibly 3 if we played a better team in the bowl..

Advertisement
Back