Staff Reaches Out To Nation's Top RB

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Over the past few weeks, there have been rumors circulating about the how strong of a commitment South Plantation RB Alex Collins has to Miami. While that whole saga hasn't been sorted out yet, it seems as though the Miami coaching staff is preparing for the worst and are in the process of contacting possible replacements if Collins decides Miami isn't the school for him. Derrick Green (Richmond, VA, Hermitage), who Rivals.com ranks as the #1 RB in the country, has recently put Miami back on his list of top schools.

"The running backs coach actually got in touch with me about 2 or 3 weeks ago and asked me if I still had any type of interest and I do. We've been speaking since then and talking about the running back position and where I would come in at and I definitely like that."

Running backs coach Terry Richardson is selling Green on a chance to play early next year.

"He told me they had a guy leaving this year so next year it would be the guy he has starting now and me."

Green is planning to take an official visit to Coral Gables to check out the program and school.

"I haven't set a date or anything yet, but I definitely want to get out there. I just like the position I would be coming in at, the coaching staff, and the offense they run."

While Green is still in the stage of learning more about Miami, a couple things stick out to him on the surface.

"I definitely know that they produce big-time players in the NFL and they have a great academic program."

Green says the list of schools that he is considering other than Miami includes Tennessee, Michigan, Ole Miss, Oregon, Auburn, and Virginia Tech.

He also added, "I don't know when I'll decide, but my interest in Miami is very high."

Advertisement
Advertisement
I rather have Collins but I love the fact that our back up plans are now other studs and not 2 star diamonds in the rough like under the 2 previous regimes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
watchin the tape...dont see how this guy is a replacement for Collins. doubt the coaches see it that way either. thinking that this offer has nothing to do with Collins

watchin the tape...dont see how this guy is a replacement for Collins. doubt the coaches see it that way either. thinking that this offer has nothing to do with Collins

Agreed. Green was offered a while back but the staff knows they need to be looking at more backs whether Collins sticks or not.

we need another back in this class most likely anyway. he would look nice as a second back with collins

Advertisement
Back