MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
Why wouldn't fans from north of Dade be willing to travel an extra 30 minutes to see Miami play in their own stadium?
Miami traffic. Unless there are significant improvements, you can expect it to take longer than 30 minutes.

Why wouldn't fans from north of Dade be willing to travel an extra 30 minutes to see Miami play in their own stadium?

Is it the university's team or the community's team?

All things considered, what is the better location for the fan base: Miami Gardens or Olympia Park?

When compared with HRS, Tropical Park might as well be located on the roof of the Richter Library. It takes under 1 hour to walk from campus to TP. If fans from Broward and Palm Beach County are so concerned about the team moving to its own stadium near campus, then maybe you all should actually show up to games at HRS.
fans are going to walk for 1 hour?

you are beyond delusional. students take a car to walk across US1 to go CVS or Starbucks.

Miami traffic. Unless there are significant improvements, you can expect it to take longer than 30 minutes.
I invite anyone with this concern to make the drive from HRS to Tropical on a Saturday via the Turnpike or the 826. Unless there's some kind of pile-up, traffic on these roadways isn't an issue on the weekends. Now, the area surrounding a stadium at Tropical would be a clusterf-ck, but traffic near stadiums on gameday isn't unusual.
fans are going to walk for 1 hour?

you are beyond delusional. students take a car to walk across US1 to go CVS or Starbucks.
Plenty of students live close enough to walk to the Trop if they wanted to. They could just as easily uber or drive 5 minutes and show up to noon games hungover instead of skipping them altogether like they do now.

Advertisement
I invite anyone with this concern to make the drive from HRS to Tropical on a Saturday via the Turnpike or the 826. Unless there's some kind of pile-up, traffic on these roadways isn't an issue on the weekends. Now, the area surrounding a stadium at Tropical would be a clusterf-ck, but traffic near stadiums on gameday isn't unusual.
I just did that for a basketball game a while back. Other than the crowd of motorcycles and ATVs blocking traffic around Hialeah, it wasn't terrible. Of course, when you add a few thousand more cars all getting off at the same exit, it will be different. Especially since the 826 is going to be the primary road to the game.

Plenty of students live close enough to walk to the Trop if they wanted to. They could just as easily uber or drive 5 minutes and show up to noon games hungover instead of skipping them altogether like they do now.
because of your second paragraph, i know you dont live in miami and know nothing about miami AND that you must live in a video game world because the entire statement is not based in reality

When compared with HRS, Tropical Park might as well be located on the roof of the Richter Library. It takes under 1 hour to walk from campus to TP. If fans from Broward and Palm Beach County are so concerned about the team moving to its own stadium near campus, then maybe you all should actually show up to games at HRS.
Yeah I could see students walking from Campus to TP for a noon game. Hahhahaah

you are back to arguing that the goal is to put more STUDENT azzes in the stadium. building a stadium at tropical is not going to materially increase attendance. and a significant portion of the STUDENT population does care about the team.

Advertisement
because of your second paragraph, i know you dont live in miami and know nothing about miami AND that you must live in a video game world because the entire statement is not based in reality
I get around fine here on the weekends for the most part. Sure there's people out and it's not perfect but I get to and from HRS with no issue on Saturdays, so I'm not sure why it would be so much different for those coming from up north if the team played at TP. It would probably entail construction of a new exit ramp or something for those entering from the 826 on Bird or Miller.

you are back to arguing that the goal is to put more STUDENT azzes in the stadium. building a stadium at tropical is not going to materially increase attendance. and a significant portion of the STUDENT population does care about the team.
No, I am not. That's the argument Ruiz has tried to make. To me the goal is to have our own stadium that wouldn't feel so antiseptic on most Saturdays. Easier access for students is a plus.

It’s like talking to a brick wall.

People come on here acting like we’re ucf with like 60k students.
We can make the stadium on campus and maybe get 50% of 17k students.
The attendance for this team has always been based on the fans not the student body.

Yeah I could see students walking from Campus to TP for a noon game. Hahhahaah
I see students all the time making the walk of shame up and down Miller on Saturday and Sunday mornings. They're conditioned to it. Also, the walk would be a pleasant one in November, especially for students who live between campus and TP. Or they can take a $5 Uber and not have to board a bus for a 40 minute drive to watch their team play inside an empty stadium while getting pounded by the sun.

Advertisement
Is it the university's team or the community's team?

All things considered, what is the better location for the fan base: Miami Gardens or Olympia Park?
All things considered, HRS doesn't work very well for us. This notion that Miami (not Kendall) traffic is so bad on a Saturday that it would preclude people from Broward and PBC from attending home games is heinous imo. Just say you don't want to have to drive an extra 30 minutes and that you love HRS because it's convenient for you.

On Campus??....Not this stupid sh*t again. Where tf are you putting even a 45,000- 50,000 seat Stadium on 210 "Occupied" acres??....even if we had the room (which we absolutely don't) the City of Coral Gables would NEVER let that happen. I can't believe some people can't get this through their thick skulls.
Again, closer to campus should have been how I explained it.

The point is, we need to get out of Hard Rock. It’s a really nice venue, and it’s cool when we sell it out once every 4 years for a big game, but otherwise, I don’t understand the draw. A new stadium could….

1) Help with recruiting.

2) Potentially lure more students to the game.

3) Be a smaller facility — with a state-of-the-art design — that we could sell out a handful of times each year.

4) Provide monetary benefit.

Everyone who pushes back so intensely is part of the problem. “Ya, that will never happen….wah wah wah.”

If people always gave up when things were supposedly “impossible,” humanity wouldn’t exist as we know if it today.

It’s like talking to a brick wall.

People come on here acting like we’re ucf with like 60k students.
We can make the stadium on campus and maybe get 50% of 17k students.
The attendance for this team has always been based on the fans not the student body.

Sometimes it feels like a portion of our fan base is in denial and/or on the defensive because we're not a UF or FSU clone.

It's like, on cue, they get shook when one of their Nole or Gator acquaintances regurgitates, "Miami rents a stadium and doesn't have any fans." :rolleyes:

I come from a family full of Gators and Noles ... done heard that **** a thousand times.

Best just to laugh it off and not worry about it

Advertisement
Another question worth asking is what college venues have you all visited, and how do you compare the atmosphere at those places with HRS on most gamedays? I urge you to visit these other collegiate venues and soak up that experience. Also, one of Miami's most vocal outside supporters (Kirk Herbstreit) was at the 2017 ND game and still believes strongly that for Miami's program to hit its ceiling, it needs its own place. But what does he know?

All things considered, HRS doesn't work very well for us. This notion that Miami (not Kendall) traffic is so bad on a Saturday that it would preclude people from Broward and PBC from attending home games is heinous imo. Just say you don't want to have to drive an extra 30 minutes and that you love HRS because it's convenient for you.

Not at all familiar enough with the area's traffic patterns to say.

Bu take a complete nobody like me out of the equation.

Is it better for the football program (not talking about the university itself) to play in an NFL stadium in Miami Gardens or to have boosters spend many millions of dollars — that could be used to help the football program in other ways — to build a new stadium closer to campus?

That would seem to be an important question

Again.. has anyone seen Ruiz Family say Miami would receive all the revenue from this new stadium if were to happen?

Donate over $475 million to Miami like Ryan Family did to Northwestern for their new stadium.

Again, closer to campus should have been how I explained it.

The point is, we need to get out of Hard Rock. It’s a really nice venue, and it’s cool when we sell it out once every 4 years for a big game, but otherwise, I don’t understand the draw. A new stadium could….

1) Help with recruiting.

2) Potentially lure more students to the game.

3) Be a smaller facility — with a state-of-the-art design — that we could sell out a handful of times each year.

4) Provide monetary benefit.

Everyone who pushes back so intensely is part of the problem. “Ya, that will never happen….wah wah wah.”

If people always gave up when things were supposedly “impossible,” humanity wouldn’t exist as we know if it today.
All I'm saying...you can forget a New Stadium near Coral Gables...not happening...and it's never gonna happen on campus.

Advertisement
Back