Stadium... (something that 99% of posters don't realize)

So the school that won't fork over $5m for Golden's buyout are going to start greasing every politician in the county just so they can invest in a massive financial undertaking like building a stadium?

Advertisement
UM should be buying up property in an around the campus periodically esp. during economic down times. This land can always be used for future development by the university. I know TCU does this regularly and expands their campus with dorms, parking lots, ect.

We do buy property around campus when it comes up for sale.

future....the issue is logistics.

57th avenue is one lane. It could never in a million years handle the traffic that gameday would bring. US1 is already a parking lot on a random Tuesday at 2PM...can you imagine if you inject 40-50K people on a gameday?

I don't want to say never, but for as much as I would LOVE to see it happen in Coral Gables...it's a longshot.

Tropical Park is the answer. You could make an on/off ramp directly from the Palmetto to the stadium. Bird Road is also right in front of TP and at least provides 4 lanes in each direction.

It's certainly the best option.

Option B: hope Beckham's plan goes through and UM can play on the waterfront.

Option C: hope that the Marloons get carted off to some other state and UM inherits the gaudy monstrosity they built on the Old Lady's grave.

Advertisement
I know we are in the middle of the Al Golden firing/non-firing saga, but as a second gen Cane fan, something drives me crazy.

Every single thread about the stadium always mentions something about "Coral Gables will never let it pass, blah blah" ad nauseum.

NEWSFLASH: The UM campus is at the VERY EDGE of Coral Gables. See, there's this road called 57th Ave, and on the other side of it is NOT Coral Gables.

That area may be South Miami, Glenvar Heights, Unincorporated Miami-Dade, or whatever, depending on where you are. There is even subsidized housing in the area, as well as machine shops and car repair places.

It's not completely outside the bounds of possibility that a stadium could be situated there, with some creative design and the introduction of access to the metro and some affordable housing thrown in.

Will it happen? Probably not. But it's not in motherfriggin Coral Gables, and you can still consider it on campus stadium!

u gonna knock down all those houses and red road commons across from sunset to build it? the nearest possible site for a stadium w the infrastructure is Tropical Park. also when u go to 57th and miller it becomes wealthy with a HS along that road towards 826). the school had a ton of issues just trying to get the BUC approved and still cant put the total amount of seats in that building bc of Gables. we had a homecoming concert shut down bc it went past 12. i know the area ur talking bout isn't gables but it isn't realistic either unless u wanna deal w all those displaced residents. again its tropical park or bust

Advertisement
Soccer stadium announcement soon. Only realistic chance for a stadium is to be attached to that project.

this is the only salvation to get out of no life stadium. however, there is a catch 22. the soccer people want it in downtown miami in order to attract the residents of the urban core on brickell/downtown and to be centric to those come from the north and south. the UM people, however, would want it near the campus which is not where the soccer people want it. hard to reconcile imho.

Soccer stadium announcement soon. Only realistic chance for a stadium is to be attached to that project.

this is the only salvation to get out of no life stadium. however, there is a catch 22. the soccer people want it in downtown miami in order to attract the residents of the urban core on brickell/downtown and to be centric to those come from the north and south. the UM people, however, would want it near the campus which is not where the soccer people want it. hard to reconcile imho.

i think the larger concern is the stadium size. beckham doesn't want over 20-25k seats in there and miami wants a min of 40-45k

Advertisement
11264468474_6b0b837ce3_o.png

Advertisement
future....the issue is logistics.

57th avenue is one lane. It could never in a million years handle the traffic that gameday would bring. US1 is already a parking lot on a random Tuesday at 2PM...can you imagine if you inject 40-50K people on a gameday?

I don't want to say never, but for as much as I would LOVE to see it happen in Coral Gables...it's a longshot.

Tropical Park is the answer. You could make an on/off ramp directly from the Palmetto to the stadium. Bird Road is also right in front of TP and at least provides 4 lanes in each direction.

Don't always agree with Jedi but he's 100% spot on here

I live a block away from UM. There is literally no land to build a stadium. Closest option is Tropical Park, which is a short drive from UM and smack in the middle of Dade County.

There is land, the problem is there is currently housing/shops etc on that land.

Money can fix that issue.

Those areas are zoned residential and light commercial. It would require major rezoning of a significant portion of a small town (such as South Miami or wherever else you propose) and loss of a significant portion of that town's residential area. Then after that enormous hurdle, you'd have to pay to take all of that land. Then, you'd have to completely redo the entire infrastructure in the area, including the highway and feeder roads into the area. That is pretty much undoable. As others mentioned, Tropical Park is at least a possibility, but it requires Miami-Dade to give up public land and play nice with UM, which is something it has never done.

Sun Life is going through renovations. Seats are being brought in closer, a roof is being put. We are not leaving Sun Life unless the Beckham deal goes through.

Don't know why people are complaining about Sun Life, the FSU game atmosphere was GREAT, it's the fans job to come to the game.

However I agree a smaller stadium would be nicer but with the improvement Sun Life is making, don't see us leaving

Tropical Park is the ideal choice. Plenty of land - 2 major highways next to it and 2 major roads bordering it (40th and 24th).

Another possible location is Murray Park near UM. Would have to stretch it to Red Road, probably (IIRC, that student is housing there)/.

Advertisement
Back