Stacy Searles

Advertisement
Kinda skeptical. He should have benched Linder. It took his injury to see the light. I wonder if he's bypassing any gamers that have been sitting on the bench.

I was NOT expecting Corey Gaynor to role with the big boys at this point in his career. Like, seriously. I saw the guy in person in the UC lobby this past summer. I didn't even think he was a lineman! Dude is hanging with the studs on the field! didn't he recover a fumble too yesterday? That's an amazing 3 star, I tell you!

Some credit goes to S&C and nutrition staff for the OL success as well. They're all in much better shape, flexibility is better, and they look better. This staff just meshes so well together and it has paid dividends. Everyone is on the same page and wants the same thing. A lot of Richt's issues at UGA was not being on the same page as his staff or those above him for whatever reason

When he was hired he probably got the most criticism from the fan base behind Jon Richt and Manny Diaz.

No, there were plenty of people who liked the Searles hire and pointed to his past accomplishments.

MUCH more criticism of Rumph. Much more.

Advertisement
He's doing a solid job with coaching them up so they can contribute and not hinder the offense. Gaynor is a prime example. No dumb penalties like false starts has been a breath of fresh air. The only real area to improve on is the short-yardage run blocking. All in all though, he's a great hire.

Does anyone who paid attention have a rundown of what offensive lineman have rotated in and gotten significant playing time outside of the starters? Curious to see how that's developing, but I haven't paid attention to it

When he was hired he probably got the most criticism from the fan base behind Jon Richt and Manny Diaz. He probably had the most cleaning up to do with his unit than any other coach on the staff. He's been without a doubt our best recruiter (right there with Dugans) and he's got the OL playing mean and giving our QB plenty of time to throw and RBs plenty of holes to run through and most importantly.. I'm not cussing every play because of a false start or a holding.

Just for reference on what he inherited... Look at Erick Flowers and how bad he's doing in the NFL. That is the most talented/gifted OT we've had at Miami in over a decade. Most of the NFL analysts seem to agree that Flowers struggles are due to bad habits and bad technique that he can't break that was taught and pounded in his head by Kehoe.

For fvcks sake Searles has Hayden Mahoney out here being a road grader. A kid that we all had on our top 5 attrition candidates when the new staff came in. Not only that but he has saved the careers of Trevor Darling and KC McDermott. Darling was the worst LT in the ACC and McDermott was getting pushed in the backfield doing a split and ending up on the ground every play. Now they're both probably going to be drafted and they currently make up one of the best left sides of an OL in the ACC. All he did was flip their positions and actually coach them.

Can't wait to see Donaldson, Herbert, Gaynor, Hillery, Dykstra, and the current commits down the road. He and Kul will be the reason we compete for championships.

Excellent post, and agree with everything you have stated. The OL has improved leaps and bounds since the start of last season, and Searles is doing so as you've noted with some guys of lesser talent. Get the rest of the '17 linemen ready for next year (Donaldson and Gaynor already have me excited), close on a nice crop for '18 (looks **** good so far), and then focus on '19 and we'll have a **** good trench pipeline for the next few years.

They still need to work on short yardage situations, but it is undeniable the strides the group has made.

Advertisement
You guys ever hear Searles? Dude is a mean SOB. Our OL is taking after him. Kids like Gaynor, Herbert and the incoming class are mean. That Cleveland reed kid is nasty MF

**** yeah our interior 3 are going to be mean as **** in the future. Herbert, Scaife, Gaynor, Reed, Donaldson

Speaking of blocking, how about those WRs? Everyone of them gives maximum effort in trying to block, sign of good coaching.

The offensive line should be good. I wish we could have run the ball against FSU because they did a good job in that game too but have nothing to show for it. I think they are only going to get better as well. Im hoping we maul Syracuse and UNC like we should and get even more guys in to keep getting more guys developed.

Advertisement
Back