Stacy Coley Uh-Oh

If he stays, he's most likely the #1 WR in Mark Richt's offense with arguably one of the best QBs in the country throwing him the football. He'd also (hopefully) get a full year in under a real S&C program.

2016 at Miami for Coley would be him adding dollars to his rookie contract by improving his stock. More game film, more highlights, better combine performance. Or he can roll the dice, be a late-round selection or UDFA, and hope he can make a roster, stick around long enough to get playing time, and somehow get to a second contract worth big money.

Advertisement
He has had the same status on Facebook since he was a Frosh.

Why is everyone ignoring this?

bc they are having too much fun venting their true feelings. they were loving trashing him early this season. then they pretended to be happy when he started balling. now its back to pretending that never happened and calling him soft again. why would a fan do this? bc they would rather be right and see people fail, than be wrong and see people do well

Advertisement
It would be a monumentally bad decision to not even wait for the NFL advisory board's opinion.

This dude has always been about making $ in the L. I think he'd at least hear them out.

Yeah, but saying this is apparently trashing the guy according to many on here. So keep it to yourself.

Yea he should wait for the NFL advisory board to weigh in before making a decision. I would love to have him back.

For me, in evaluating if it is a good decision or not, I think one has to consider the financial situation of his family. Which I do not know for Coley. If his family are struggling, then the prospect of making at the minimum $435,000 a year is pretty enticing.

Even if he would get paid millions more if he stayed and had a great season, the constant fear of a big injury has to haunt the entire family every time he goes out there if they know their future well-being depended on his health. From that perspective, you would not want to give up the guaranteed 435k. Which in of itself would totally transform the lives of almost every American family.

Yea he should wait for the NFL advisory board to weigh in before making a decision. I would love to have him back.

For me, in evaluating if it is a good decision or not, I think one has to consider the financial situation of his family. Which I do not know for Coley. If his family are struggling, then the prospect of making at the minimum $435,000 a year is pretty enticing.

Even if he would get paid millions more if he stayed and had a great season, the constant fear of a big injury has to haunt the entire family every time he goes out there if they know their future well-being depended on his health. From that perspective, you would not want to give up the guaranteed 435k. Which in of itself would totally transform the lives of almost every American family.

It's a fair and real concern for some of the guys, but there's now insurance to lessen the risk. Also, even in a situation where you have a serious injury (God forbid), you can now come back from a knee in less than a year.

I think it's a risk for him to come back, but one that may be worth it. Here are the numbers:

If he leaves, I think he may be looking at a 5th round selection. That's Rashad Greene money. Total amount of contract is somewhere around 2.5M. Total amount guaranteed is like 250k. Signing bonus is also around 250k. His first four years in the league, he gets 435k, 525k, 615k, 705k.

If he comes back, I think he's looking at, worst case scenario (without a serious injury), Chris Conley (former UGA WR, ironically) money. Total amount of contract is somewhere around 3.1M. Total amount guaranteed is like 700k. Signing bonus is also around 700k. Same type of escalation, but obviously an average salary HIGHER than any single year in the scenario of Greene money.

The real key here is whether he believes he could gain some size and ball out under Richt. If so, his best case scenario becomes something closer to Devin Smith. That's still not even a 1st round pick, but looks like this: 5.9M total value. Something around a 2.5M bonus. Base salaries of 435k, 701k, 968k, 1.23k. That's an entirely separate level.

Hope he thinks it through and wish him well regardless.

Advertisement
I cannot fault Stacey for leaving, even if he goes at the *** end of the draft. But, he really needs to think about whether or not he's even going to make a roster. We know he's fast and all that, but he's made out of glass and is slight for his height. Bad combination. It's one thing to be skinny and tallish, kinda like Chad Johnson, but he was a fairly tough dude and could take a lick. Stacey gets whacked and you don't see him for the rest of the game. That will get a low round pick cut with the quickness.

Hopefully his family isn't pinning their future and their lives on a young guy buying them things and taking care of them for the rest of their lives. They should take care of themselves and look out for Stacy's best interests.

Advertisement
I cannot fault Stacey for leaving, even if he goes at the *** end of the draft. But, he really needs to think about whether or not he's even going to make a roster. We know he's fast and all that, but he's made out of glass and is slight for his height. Bad combination. It's one thing to be skinny and tallish, kinda like Chad Johnson, but he was a fairly tough dude and could take a lick. Stacey gets whacked and you don't see him for the rest of the game. That will get a low round pick cut with the quickness.
On top of all that, he doesn't want the NFL guys scouring his game film seeing him loaf and give bad body language and take goofy penalties. Come back and work on those maturity issues and present a better face to the NFL.

It's a fair and real concern for some of the guys, but there's now insurance to lessen the risk. Also, even in a situation where you have a serious injury (God forbid), you can now come back from a knee in less than a year.

I think it's a risk for him to come back, but one that may be worth it. Here are the numbers:

If he leaves, I think he may be looking at a 5th round selection. That's Rashad Greene money. Total amount of contract is somewhere around 2.5M. Total amount guaranteed is like 250k. Signing bonus is also around 250k. His first four years in the league, he gets 435k, 525k, 615k, 705k.

If he comes back, I think he's looking at, worst case scenario (without a serious injury), Chris Conley (former UGA WR, ironically) money. Total amount of contract is somewhere around 3.1M. Total amount guaranteed is like 700k. Signing bonus is also around 700k. Same type of escalation, but obviously an average salary HIGHER than any single year in the scenario of Greene money.

The real key here is whether he believes he could gain some size and ball out under Richt. If so, his best case scenario becomes something closer to Devin Smith. That's still not even a 1st round pick, but looks like this: 5.9M total value. Something around a 2.5M bonus. Base salaries of 435k, 701k, 968k, 1.23k. That's an entirely separate level.

Hope he thinks it through and wish him well regardless.

great analysis. my concern is whether he has a disinterested, objective person around him that can explain his choices, risks and rewards on concrete and rational terms. and if he chooses to leave early afterwards, then i'm fine with his decision. leaving under a cloud of ignorance is unforgiveable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back