STA 4-star LB Huff on Miami: "I feel like the school is meant for me"

Advertisement
Hadn't heard the Turnbull name in years. He was good too. Brandon & Stevie were a year ahead of me. Brandon went to FAU & Stevie to Carson Newman if I'm not mistaken. Both are good peoples. I talk to Stevie every once in awhile around the way. Antoine went to Virginia Tech but ended up at Howard I think. You're right tho man. Was ALOT of talent in Hollywood around that time. Leon Pennington that went to Michigan State from Hallandale too. Kamar Aiken was a year behind me at Chaminade, he's still in the league. Lot of good talent and good times.
That's an unbelievable amount of talent at that time! I recall many of those guys following as best I could back then. In my day in the early 70's, quite frankly, there wasn't nearly as much talent in Hollywood. At MCA, the HC at the time (I can't recall his name) played very few underclassmen (a soph here and there and NO fresh) and had most of the starters playing both ways. That being the case, most of us stayed with our optimist clubs until we were juniors because we knew we wouldn't get a chance to play in high school no matter how good we were - couldn't transfer either.

I played @ Pembroke Pines Optimist from 1967 to 1972. Called us Sewer City because our field was right next to the sewer plant! Way different back then! That was the year PPO started their first team. We were in the North Dade league the first 2 years. Got our a**sses handed to us. I played Center and MLB. We moved to Hollywood Optimist in '69 and got a new HC - Dare Darnell. He was the best! Moved me to RB and Rover Safety. We ran the Kansas City Vee offense. Was a blast! Won the league championship my last 2 years.

Pembroke Pines optomist may have been the best optomist program in south florida for over a decade now. Other than Liberty City Warriors they have churned out alot of nfl players and div players

Advertisement
Hadn't heard the Turnbull name in years. He was good too. Brandon & Stevie were a year ahead of me. Brandon went to FAU & Stevie to Carson Newman if I'm not mistaken. Both are good peoples. I talk to Stevie every once in awhile around the way. Antoine went to Virginia Tech but ended up at Howard I think. You're right tho man. Was ALOT of talent in Hollywood around that time. Leon Pennington that went to Michigan State from Hallandale too. Kamar Aiken was a year behind me at Chaminade, he's still in the league. Lot of good talent and good times.

Yup my cuz was one of FAU's best lineman. Your forgetting Davin Joseph, Travis Daniels, Tavares Gooden im telling you the area was LOADED.

Pembroke Pines optomist may have been the best optomist program in south florida for over a decade now. Other than Liberty City Warriors they have churned out alot of nfl players and div players
No kidding! I have to admit, we were pretty good back then for a new program. Most of the kids on my teams were from MCA with a few from Miramar, Cooper City, and Davie. Back then Pembroke Pines and the others were just small suburbs of Hollywood. You either played for PPO or West Hollywood Optomist who by the way were our biggest rivals.

No kidding! I have to admit, we were pretty good back then for a new program. Most of the kids on my teams were from MCA with a few from Miramar, Cooper City, and Davie. Back then Pembroke Pines and the others were just small suburbs of Hollywood. You either played for PPO or West Hollywood Optomist who by the way were our biggest rivals.

The big rivalry now is PPO VS Miramar Optomist. I coach at Miramar. West Hollywood is still around..its the feeder for Hollywood Hills and S.Broward but their not as good.

Advertisement
The big rivalry now is PPO VS Miramar Optomist. I coach at Miramar. West Hollywood is still around..its the feeder for Hollywood Hills and S.Broward but their not as good.
I've seen in the recent past several kids from Miramar HS going D1. You've got to be proud of that! Does WHO still play @ Perry Airport? That area west of University Drive just exploded in population in the last 20-25 years. When I was a kid, there was nothing past there other than Hollywood Sportatoruim! I could ask a million questions @gogeta4! LOL

My gosh do all the high schools recruit down there. I thought it was only the private schools. Is it open enrollment in Dade and Boward?

Gwen Cherry Bulls and Overtown Rattlers may want to talk to you about that..

Advertisement
Gwen Cherry Bulls and Overtown Rattlers may want to talk to you about that..

Scroll down and check out the list of guys they have produced recently. And thats omitting some guys that played there that they didnt document...

Pat Surtain Jr played there as well recently.

http://www.ppobengals.org/

You have to respect them. They are my rivals since i was a kid. Also that Ft Lauderdale Hurricane team that was nationally ranked...was just all the kids taken from that PPO team because they left the League we played in. So that was essentially a PPO team as well.

BULLS, RICHMOND GIANTS, OVERTOWN are on that level though as well with PPO at times.

Scroll down and check out the list of guys they have produced recently. And thats omitting some guys that played there that they didnt document...

Pat Surtain Jr played there as well recently.

http://www.ppobengals.org/

You have to respect them. They are my rivals since i was a kid. Also that Ft Lauderdale Hurricane team that was nationally ranked...was just all the kids taken from that PPO team because they left the League we played in. So that was essentially a PPO team as well.

BULLS, RICHMOND GIANTS, OVERTOWN are on that level though as well with PPO at times.
Wow! A team at each age level? Unbelievable! We had 3 weight classes - 75, 95, and 125 pounds. The 125's could get to 135 after game 3 and add 5 pounds a game until we got to 150. The first 2 years, we all played at the 125 level because we didn't have the #'s to field all 3 teams.

Yup my cuz was one of FAU's best lineman. Your forgetting Davin Joseph, Travis Daniels, Tavares Gooden im telling you the area was LOADED.
I grew up with Travis, his mom worked at my elementary school and also with Tavares Gooden. We used to call him "Stump". lol His uncle coached at Northeast Optimist. Big Dav is good peoples too. Doing great work with his foundation nowadays.

Advertisement
I grew up with Travis, his mom worked at my elementary school and also with Tavares Gooden. We used to call him "Stump". lol His uncle coached at Northeast Optimist. Big Dav is good peoples too. Doing great work with his foundation nowadays.

Ms Rainey...Im cool with em..lol. I beat up on Stump when he was a soph and they had him at rush end....but i knew he was good. He was swole as **** then

Ms Rainey...Im cool with em..lol. I beat up on Stump when he was a soph and they had him at rush end....but i knew he was good. He was swole as **** then
Yupp. Ms Rainey. lol I always thought Trav coulda played bball in college. He had some barber shop franchises opening up last time I heard. He's a really good dude. I remember Ms Rainey had the LSU plates on her car when he went there. Saban been knee deep in Broward for years. Then got my cousin on my pop's side Dwayne Bowe to go there too. I even remember when he signed Broderick Nelson from South Broward to go to Michigan State. Sed Irvin too. Saban's had a pipeline down here for 25 years and I HATE IT. smh

Advertisement
Back