ST ranking

edge

Junior
Ranked 18th in the nation. Been lots of complaints about the ST. However that is a really solid ranking.

BTW, ST mishaps happen even to the best teams. See the Bama punt mishap against Tenn. Probably the dumbest play I have seen all year. Likely lost them the game.

Advertisement
I can only recall 2 gaffes in 6 games, really.

The muff by Rique, and the blocked FG against A&M. Both gigantic plays, mind you, especially the muff.

But all in all, ST's have been solid.

Lou actually doesn't even have enough punts to qualify officially for national numbers, but if he were qualified, his average would rank 11th in the country.
Borregales is 10/13 on the season kicking FGs, with the 1 block, and I believe both the other misses were from 49 and 53 yards. He's also 15th in the country in touchback percentage, almost 75%.

Coverage units have been pretty good. Haven't given up a single punt return of 20+ yards, and no kickoff returns of 30+ yards.

Punt return has been terrible, but kickoff return, we are the only team in the country with 3 or more kickoff returns of 60+ yards. And as a matter of fact, we lead the country in return average as well.

So I would say:

Punting/Punt coverage: A
FG Kicking: B+
Kickoffs/Kickoff coverage: A
Punt return: F
Kickoff return: A

I can only recall 2 gaffes in 6 games, really.

The muff by Rique, and the blocked FG against A&M. Both gigantic plays, mind you, especially the muff.

But all in all, ST's have been solid.

Lou actually doesn't even have enough punts to qualify officially for national numbers, but if he were qualified, his average would rank 11th in the country.
Borregales is 10/13 on the season kicking FGs, with the 1 block, and I believe both the other misses were from 49 and 53 yards. He's also 15th in the country in touchback percentage, almost 75%.

Coverage units have been pretty good. Haven't given up a single punt return of 20+ yards, and no kickoff returns of 30+ yards.

Punt return has been terrible, but kickoff return, we are the only team in the country with 3 or more kickoff returns of 60+ yards. And as a matter of fact, we lead the country in return average as well.

So I would say:

Punting/Punt coverage: A
FG Kicking: B+
Kickoffs/Kickoff coverage: A
Punt return: F
Kickoff return: A
F may be too high of a grade for punt returns. I literally cringe every time we have to catch a punt.

Ranked 18th in the nation. Been lots of complaints about the ST. However that is a really solid ranking.

BTW, ST mishaps happen even to the best teams. See the Bama punt mishap against Tenn. Probably the dumbest play I have seen all year. Likely lost them the game.
Special teams have been decent, but the bad rared it’s head in our 2 most important statement games! I’m just saying.😤

Advertisement
Back