Springs Weighing Options

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Springs Weighing Options

2014 Roosevelt (Tex.) Defensive Back Arrion Springs is ranked as one of the top players in the state of Texas for his class. Springs is heading into this summer preparing to get better, first with this upcoming spring season.

“The spring has been going well, a lot of coaches have been coming by as well as the fact that the team is looking good this year, everybody is coming together.”

Springs is a top rated defensive back and is looking to not only work on some of his skills but improve on others.

“My best skill is I’m very smart and I’m very instinctive when I play. I want to improve on being more patient while I’m in press coverage, when I jam, I want to work on my footwork and just being patient.

Springs is also a top recruit, as he is hearing from schools all around the country while enjoying the recruiting process.

“It’s going real well, I haven’t picked up many offers as of late. I’ve been talking to Oregon, Texas, Miami, Arizona, Ohio State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Texas Tech, TCU and Oklahoma.”

Springs originally had a top two of Miami and Oregon,but hadn’t received an offer from either. Miami offered the Texas native recently and spoke about what it was like.

“They offered me about two weeks ago, me and Coach (Paul) Williams have a good relationship, we talk on a weekly basis. They want to use me at corner which sounds pretty good. I like it a lot, they (Miami) have a lot of tradition there. “

While playing time is something that interest the Roosevelt product, he is aware that Miami’s defensive back depth is large and has no issues with having a limited role in Coral Gables.

“They’re pretty stacked right now at corner, so I probably wouldn’t be able to play as a freshmen but I could still learn from coach Williams and then probably get in as a sophomore.”

Spring also offered his thoughts on the job coach Golden has done and what he thinks of him.

“Coach Golden, he has done a great job with the program, he has turned it around and made it a lot better then it used to be.”.

While the speedy corner was originally sure he was planning to leave the state for college, he has had second thoughts about going away.

“I’m really don’t even know anymore, I think I want to, but I’m just not sure.”

Texas is a school he recently visited to see the campus.

When asked what will be some main factors in his decision, Springs stressed the some key points.

“Good relationship with the DB coaches, a strong fan base is and a school that can help get me to the league and reach my goals.”

Springs is planning a visit to Miami during the summer for one of Al Golden’s football camps.

Advertisement
Good work. I like Springs potential at corner, hes physical & can cover. Also dont have to really worry about competition with him, unlike other OOS prospects when evaluating.

Tito, Slim played at 160-170 pounds the whole time he was at the U. Is Springs that light? Don't get me wrong. I'll take another KJ in a heartbeat.

Advertisement
Tito, Slim played at 160-170 pounds the whole time he was at the U. Is Springs that light? Don't get me wrong. I'll take another KJ in a heartbeat.

Look at their highlights, maybe not in terms of weight but the way they play is very similar.

Have to be able to stop the pass. This kid is the goods that can get it done. Hope we make a great impression on his visit, and on gameday this year.

Not sure if I want to get my hopes up, I mean at first it seemed like we were in great position we were in his top two before we offered with Oregon, who hasn't even offered yet, it seemed like this guy was deadest on leaving Texas but then when we actually offer, it's like woah, not so sure...hoping for the best

Advertisement
I hope this beast doesn't think he'll be buried in our depth chart at CB, since we know that is certainly not the case. That isn't to say we don't have talent there though, and I would go as far as to say our cornerback position the next few years is the strongest its been in a long time. (Better than Brandon Harris and that crew, by far imo).

Adding Springs to the bunch with Tracy Artie leading the way and Deon, Rayshawn, and Jamal Carter holding down the safety spots and we have some SERIOUS NFL talent right there boys. Definitely missed a baller corner but I'm literally falling asleep but CIS > Sleep

i think he might be getting some local pressure to stay in texas, i still feel good about us getting him, lets see how he is with us when he comes on campus

Advertisement
I'm hearing Texas has made a huge push in the last week or two and he is being more receptive than folks initially thought he would be. I would temper enthusiasm, between them & Oregon. I apologize if I got folks too excited about this one..... a month ago, at the Nike camp where he blew up, Miami was all that was coming out of the kid's mouth to someone I know who spent a lot of time talking to him. Duane Akina from UT is an ace with lots to sell regarding UT's DBs in the last 10 years, and Oregon must be doing a really good job with him also.

I'm hearing Texas has made a huge push in the last week or two and he is being more receptive than folks initially thought he would be. I would temper enthusiasm, between them & Oregon. I apologize if I got folks too excited about this one..... a month ago, at the Nike camp where he blew up, Miami was all that was coming out of the kid's mouth to someone I know who spent a lot of time talking to him. Duane Akina from UT is an ace with lots to sell regarding UT's DBs in the last 10 years, and Oregon must be doing a really good job with him also.

Do you know if ever visited Oregon? If he has then if or when he visits us it's our chance

Advertisement
Ballers from TX that Mack Brown wants rarely leave TX. If he camps and takes an OV anything is possible.

Advertisement
Back