Spring Transfer Portal

Mad? Nah.

Just think the mental gymnastics people do to avoid giving out coach credit is astounding. You should have seen his spin in the other thread. Dead or Alive would have been jealous. As I said above, you can say "Mario has landed a top 5 portal class" and "we still haven't plugged all our holes" and both can be true. Bobby just can't seem to find the will on the first part lol.

I also agree with every other part of your post!
That is the crux of our back and forth. 1) I don’t believe that you should rate Portal classes against other team’s classes as everyone has different needs and 2) if you had to, I can’t rate a class #5 if they didn’t address 2 of the 3 biggest needs it had going into the fall. Those being CB, DT and WR.

Advertisement
That is the crux of our back and forth. 1) I don’t believe that you should rate Portal classes against other team’s classes as everyone has different needs and 2) if you had to, I can’t rate a class #5 if they didn’t address 2 of the 3 biggest needs it had going into the fall. Those being CB, DT and WR.
I think this is a reasonable take for all on number of commits and total points if that’s a thing. The teams that have a lot of needs can be compared given the volume. Also, we could compare position by position in the portal vs other schools.

Are you okay? Are you on the spectrum? You are a total spaz. First thing let’s address this question you say I didn’t answer but I actually did. I told you I didn’t think Miami had a top ten Portal class. I also told you multiple times I don’t believe or care about comparing to other teams in the portal anyway why I didn’t bother to address it the first time. Once again, you would have noticed that if you werent such a spaz.

The portal is supplementary and should be graded based on that team’s needs. It’s not like the HS cycle where all needs are being addressed and it’s easy to rank comparatively but I’ve already explained this to you. Example is Michigan and UGA, they have quality commits but because they are very good they didn’t much in the portal but got what they needed. Nobody is saying Michigan or particularly UGA have a top portal class but they took care of business.

You go on these hysterical rants trying to put words in people’s mouths. Someone makes a reasonable criticism and here you go again turning everything it into hyperbole. Now it’s people saying Mario is falling on his face or they don’t want Mario to succeed.

LOL. Spectrum jokes. Classy.

And you still don't get it, and you never will because of your low ceiling.

If you don't think Miami has a top 10 (lol) portal class then that makes you a special sort of snowflake.

Funny, and this is gonna smart... the 247 Sports Recruiting Podcast literally did a pod today, in the middle of our back and forth calling Miami "one of the four biggest winners of the portal season." Cooper Petanga and Andrew Ivins. Whoops. That has to hurt, huh?

You can go listen yourself, but that would be useless, because you know everything, are smarter than the whole CFB world, and are never wrong. Must be nice.

Like I said earlier, you've become boring. You can have last word, moving on.

I think this is a reasonable take for all on number of commits and total points if that’s a thing. The teams that have a lot of needs can be compared given the volume. Also, we could compare position by position in the portal vs other schools.
It’s why I used UGA and Michigan as examples. Think UGA has 3 guys and Michigan has 8, they have as high or higher average than us right now. Why can’t we argue that they have better classes based on attrition and what they brought in? Of course I’m saying I don’t care because that’s not how we should judge a portal class.

LOL. Spectrum jokes. Classy.

And you still don't get it, and you never will because of your low ceiling.

If you don't think Miami has a top 10 (lol) portal class then that makes you a special sort of snowflake.

Funny, and this is gonna smart... the 247 Sports Recruiting Podcast literally did a pod today, in the middle of our back and forth calling Miami "one of the four biggest winners of the portal season." Cooper Petanga and Andrew Ivins. Whoops. That has to hurt, huh?

You can go listen yourself, but that would be useless, because you know everything, are smarter than the whole CFB world, and are never wrong. Must be nice.

Like I said earlier, you've become boring. You can have last word, moving on.
That second to last paragraph is heavy projection.

Advertisement
Mad? Nah.

Just think the mental gymnastics people do to avoid giving out coach credit is astounding. You should have seen his spin in the other thread. Dead or Alive would have been jealous. As I said above, you can say "Mario has landed a top 5 portal class" and "we still haven't plugged all our holes" and both can be true. Bobby just can't seem to find the will on the first part lol.

I also agree with every other part of your post!
I think your outlook on how we’ve done overall is good. People can use the stats how they want I guess. It’s a very good haul. We have a couple of big areas of need to fill still. I’m not sure that the two viewpoints can’t live side by side for the most part.

Its all relevant, but you have to consider the quality of the recruit you are bringing in, because that's how you build your roster, that's how you build your program, by adding talent. It's not Playstation. And we've added some young guys too, who are going to slip nicely into the 2022 recruiting class to buttress it. You can scheme around some deficiencies, but you can't get around a lack of talent. Adding a top 5 quality portal class coming off a #7 recruiting class off a 5-7 season is a major accomplishment. We're building.

It’s why I used UGA and Michigan as examples. Think UGA has 3 guys and Michigan has 8, they have as high or higher average than us right now. Why can’t we argue that they have better classes based on attrition and what they brought in? Of course I’m saying I don’t care because that’s not how we should judge a portal class.
It’s most accurate to go position by position I would think and then compare by position or sub position group. It’s still not perfect.

I think Jaden Davis & Terry Roberts were Jag takes, but most of every other Portal add we’ve landed were good picks that should contribute to a better team with a better Coaching staff on both sides of the ball.

IF we can get Kirk on Saturday, or get Harrell some Deer antler spray for that Foot & we figure out a way to land Big Ant Campbell, plus adding a fckin Wolverine at STAR in Andre Sam, that’s a good haul & good group to add on to what we already have.

We still need a WR & a DT critically, we could use another EDGE or a LB, but we also do still have players already on the roster that have to eventually figure out how to walk & chew bubble gum at the same time; I mean I know we allegedly had the most untalented roster in the history of CFB, but maybe 1 or 2 of HS recruited kids can be coached up a little bit to possibly play a modicum bit better than last year, if that’s not too much to expect.

But either way, we got a good haul this go round from the Portal, it’s just a matter of getting a few more pieces.

IIRC Robert’s was highly thought of at the time but looks like a miss. Davis just provides needed depth at that point. I’d rather rely on him as a 3rd/4th CB than the younger guys.

Advertisement
Most talk as if DT is one position. In fact, it has to be treated as two positions. This convo was discussed in a thread earlier this year where @Lance Roffers added the following:

Our problem is the whole roster at DT seems best suited for the 3T role with the hope that Moten can fill the 1T role. That may work for much of the schedule but against a team that wants to run (and is capable of running effectively), I have visions of UNC running for 600 yards.

If things remain the same going into the season, I'm curious what Guidry can do to disguise this weakness. For instance, how did he address Notre Dame last year?
Only team on the schedule that’s really a running team is fsu. Clemson will run as well with shipley

I think your outlook on how we’ve done overall is good. People can use the stats how they want I guess. It’s a very good haul. We have a couple of big areas of need to fill still. I’m not sure that the two viewpoints can’t live side by side for the most part.
If we get the guys we’re in play for still it’s a very good class. Right now it’s a very solid B / B- class but a DT and a wr makes it’s about as good as we could’ve expected. When it’s all said and done half this class will start and most of it will have key roles.

I’ve ripped Mario and put as much blame on him last year as anybody here minus you know who lol. But you must give props to what he’s done since the season ended.

Its all relevant, but you have to consider the quality of the recruit you are bringing in, because that's how you build your roster, that's how you build your program, by adding talent. It's not Playstation. And we've added some young guys too, who are going to slip nicely into the 2022 recruiting class to buttress it. You can scheme around some deficiencies, but you can't get around a lack of talent. Adding a top 5 quality portal class coming off a #7 recruiting class off a 5-7 season is a major accomplishment. We're building.
How would you compare our portal class to that of UGA, for instance? The overall rank probably gets skewed bc we have a lot more issues and need more volume. I can see why someone would drill down to that level and/or go position vs position with other teams though in either event, we did really well.

I’m not sure why we all can’t agree that overall we had a really good haul though we still haven’t achieved what we’d hope for at outside WR and DT???

If we get the guys we’re in play for still it’s a very good class. Right now it’s a very solid B / B- class but a DT and a wr makes it’s about as good as we could’ve expected. When it’s all said and done half this class will start and most of it will have key roles.

I’ve ripped Mario and put as much blame on him last year as anybody here minus you know who lol. But you must give props to what he’s done since the season ended.
Thank you for stating that it is a solid B class because that is exactly what it is right now. A very good class but not top tier and saying so isn’t some attack on Mario, it’s just reality.

Advertisement
We definitely agree that we are building and coming off a 5-7 season it is a major accomplishment.

I know they earned these transfers they’ve gotten. It was hard work. I have no complaints right now. I don’t expect QB or outside WR to be fixed without Dawson showing it on the field anyhow and I’m waiting on the results of the efforts at DT on the high school level. They’ve landed some CB’s so that’s something.

Ideally the recruiting class and the portal class are complementary. WR - 2 slot types in the recruiting class (love Ray-Ray). Portal - JUCO (likely), TBD. For the 2nd consecutive cycle no 'take the top off' outside threat. Below standard.

DT - 1 as I recall in the recruiting class, 1 in the portal class + Gore (undersized, shaky). And the Jackson loss. ****, even Jordan Miller sounds good about now. Below standard.

Yes, we're not done yet and there has been some good work done. But WR and DT are clearly concerning. And in fairness, even highly touted recruiting classes lose luster when key positions like QB, DT, WR are conspicuous in terms of lacking headliner types.

In sum, I give Mario credit for upgrading overall talent after a nightmarish '22 season. However, there have also been misses. Now what if one of the COMPLETE OL OVERHAUL were substituted for a big-time DT? So as originally stated, complementary classes on signing day and in the portal create a more balanced and likely effective roster.

Advertisement
Thank you for stating that it is a solid B class because that is exactly what it is right now. A very good class but not top tier and saying so isn’t some attack on Mario, it’s just reality.
Theres not many teams better. People are just looking at Miami as fans that are biased or greedy. If we land the guys left I’ come away surprised at how well both portal windows was. **** I’m pretty satisfied now minus wr / dt

Last edited:
Going off spring I’d say there’s more questions than answers with him but I don’t want to write him off just because of a month of practice. He was struggling though. Maybe he needs to get used to the step up in competition or maybe he’s just not able to hang at this level.
But PFF said he was a top 10 DT last year?

DT probly needs to turn into an all-hands-on-deck venture. Mesidor and even Bain could bolster in the committee approach. And yes, I'm aware of Mesidor's preference.

Advertisement
Back