Spring Transfer Portal

We’re not even done but yeah, people are on crack or have an alternative agenda if they think we haven’t done well in the portal.

For our standards, yes we have way more holes to fill (WR and DT are glaringly obvious). But just from a big picture perspective…

- Added two starting-caliber corners
- A starting-caliber RB
- The best center in the country
- Another top OL on a top five program
- An impact-ready DT that’s earned all-conference honors in a conference that’s much better and more physical than the ACC
- A tight end that while not nearly as skilled in the offensive department, a guy that will undoubtedly help in the run game and short yardage situations (underrated addition as we’ve sucked donkey balls on 3rd and short situations).
- A LB1
- An elite special teams player in Roberts
- Slot DB depth in Davis

Secondary and OL are completely transformed. Sam in the back end would be a phenomenal addition. Add Kirk + Harrell and now WR looks…decent? Campbell as another body on the DL, maybe Nixon at LB depth…we’re certainly trying to hit that 8-win goal.
Yeah some people think the portal is like a restaurant where you just order whatever you want on the menu and fix your entire roster. Other teams are trying to win and recruit these guys too.

Thats actually a pretty **** good haul. Still could use a few more pieces but thats a function of an inherited roster that still has too many holes on it. Its not a result of bad portal recruiting.

Advertisement
I think Jaden Davis & Terry Roberts were Jag takes, but most of every other Portal add we’ve landed were good picks that should contribute to a better team with a better Coaching staff on both sides of the ball.

IF we can get Kirk on Saturday, or get Harrell some Deer antler spray for that Foot & we figure out a way to land Big Ant Campbell, plus adding a fckin Wolverine at STAR in Andre Sam, that’s a good haul & good group to add on to what we already have.

We still need a WR & a DT critically, we could use another EDGE or a LB, but we also do still have players already on the roster that have to eventually figure out how to walk & chew bubble gum at the same time; I mean I know we allegedly had the most untalented roster in the history of CFB, but maybe 1 or 2 of HS recruited kids can be coached up a little bit to possibly play a modicum bit better than last year, if that’s not too much to expect.

But either way, we got a good haul this go round from the Portal, it’s just a matter of getting a few more pieces.

Yeah some people think the portal is like a restaurant where you just order whatever you want on the menu and fix your entire roster. Other teams are trying to win and recruit these guys too.

Thats actually a pretty **** good haul. Still could use a few more pieces but thats a function of an inherited roster that still has too many holes on it. Its not a result of bad portal recruiting.

It is like a restaurant. In Mogadishu. Miami has the 3rd or 4th best portal class by quality right now and people are acting like Mario is falling on his face. It's wild. This is what success in the portal looks like. You are trying to plug holes and add depth, but its not always there, and you are not always going to hit when you need to because there isn't a lot on the menu and everyone is trying to order it.

I think Jaden Davis & Terry Roberts were Jag takes, but most of every other Portal add we’ve landed were good picks that should contribute to a better team with a better Coaching staff on both sides of the ball.

IF we can get Kirk on Saturday, or get Harrell some Deer antler spray for that Foot & we figure out a way to land Big Ant Campbell, plus adding a fckin Wolverine at STAR in Andre Sam, that’s a good haul & good group to add on to what we already have.

We still need a WR & a DT critically, we could use another EDGE or a LB, but we also do still have players already on the roster that have to eventually figure out how to walk & chew bubble gum at the same time; I mean I know we allegedly had the most untalented roster in the history of CFB, but maybe 1 or 2 of HS recruited kids can be coached up a little bit to possibly play a modicum bit better than last year, if that’s not too much to expect.

But either way, we got a good haul this go round from the Portal, it’s just a matter of getting a few more pieces.
Not a flashy haul but a lot of kids that’ll bring their lunch pale and get to work. Mario’s type of kids.

He was always considered a multi-year project. he should never have played last year but our coaches were incompetent. They burned his redshirt using him for quarterback sneaks twice a game. He needs to redshirt this year. There's no reason he should play in more than the 4 game max.
I agree! If we can get mop up duty for jacurri and Emory in 4 games apiece. hopefully, tvd can stay healthy against fsu, unc, atm, clemson...we don't need them anywhere close to the field in those games.

Advertisement
After a bad night of intercourse I roll over and tell my significant other “ I know you probably think tonight was awful but my PFF grade says I graded out excellent”. Now she has the same opinion of PFF as i do.
Sassy Oh No GIF by Nickelodeon

Out of all the OCs Mario has had as a HC, Shannon Dawson runs the best scheme to attract WR recruits.

Although I wanted some other guys, Lonnie Galloway, Kevin Beard is one of the better WR coaches under Mario as a HC.

The 2023 offense still needs to prove it on the field, but I like our chances to finally attract WRs considering our scheme and coaches.

It is like a restaurant. In Mogadishu. Miami has the 3rd or 4th best portal class by quality right now and people are acting like Mario is falling on his face. It's wild. This is what success in the portal looks like. You are trying to plug holes and add depth, but its not always there, and you are not always going to hit when you need to because there isn't a lot on the menu and everyone is trying to order it.
Very few are saying Mario is falling on his face here, and those that are can’t be taken seriously. The 4th or 5th quality average is a slight misnomer when considering how many holes we had to shore up. So yes we are doing well in the portal with what we have but we didn’t address some major issues. We can still address those with Grad transfers but it doesn’t change the fact that we missed on numerous guys at both DT and WR that would have made us a better team. I guess there is still a chance with Rose which would be huge for us.

We’re not even done but yeah, people are on crack or have an alternative agenda if they think we haven’t done well in the portal.

For our standards, yes we have way more holes to fill (WR and DT are glaringly obvious). But just from a big picture perspective…

- Added two starting-caliber corners
- A starting-caliber RB
- The best center in the country
- Another top OL on a top five program
- An impact-ready DT that’s earned all-conference honors in a conference that’s much better and more physical than the ACC
- A tight end that while not nearly as skilled in the offensive department, a guy that will undoubtedly help in the run game and short yardage situations (underrated addition as we’ve sucked donkey balls on 3rd and short situations).
- A LB1
- An elite special teams player in Roberts
- Slot DB depth in Davis

Secondary and OL are completely transformed. Sam in the back end would be a phenomenal addition. Add Kirk + Harrell and now WR looks…decent? Campbell as another body on the DL, maybe Nixon at LB depth…we’re certainly trying to hit that 8-win goal.

If Harrell's injury is fully healed + Kirk I'd say our WR room would be pretty good. Semantics between pretty good to decent but I would feel really comfortable going in with Young, Harrell, Kirk, RayRay, George, X as a 6 deep group. Adding in the TEs we have as receiving options as well - TVD should have enough weapons to do some damage in the ACC.

Advertisement

Where do you think we will play Campbell if we land him? Curious to get your thoughts 🙌🏼.

Very few are saying Mario is falling on his face here, and those that are can’t be taken seriously. The 4th or 5th quality average is a slight misnomer when considering how many holes we had to shore up. So yes we are doing well in the portal with what we have but we didn’t address some major issues. We can still address those with Grad transfers but it doesn’t change the fact that we missed on numerous guys at both DT and WR that would have made us a better team. I guess there is still a chance with Rose which would be huge for us.

Why is this so hard for you? Are you trolling? There is a ceiling with what you can do in the portal. If you have a ton of holes because, say, you are taking over a program that has been dysfunctionally mired in mediocrity for two decades, and you have to run half the team off because they don't belong, well, you are going to have a lot of holes to fill. Probably more than you can in one off-season. Get it?

There are only so many players in the portal that are talented enough to play here, are healthy, and aren't head cases that are culture problems. Over 70% of the kids in the portal have never started a game. Think about that. And transfer kids are much more likely to have "issues" than kids who don't leave, so the pool of guys that you are competing with the entire country for is even smaller than it seems. You need to get your share, you need to out-recruit your peers, but you aren't going to conquer Rome in a day, no matter how much the internet wants you to. Mario and Miami have brought in a more talented class than most other high P5 programs that have been aggressive in the portal. He's beating USC, LSU, AUB, OK, OREGON, UF, etc. Get it?

I think its adorable that you want 20 transfer 4-stars under your Christmas tree next to your shiny new Playstation that plug every issue we have in one portal season, and I get that you love to fixate (over and over) on what we haven't corrected (yet) rather than the massive talent acquisition accomplishment Mario has pulled off, but the only fair way to judge how Mario is recruiting against the rest of CFB is how Mario is recruiting against the rest of CFB. Get it?

And as of now, Mario objectively has one of the top 5 most talented portal classes that has met a ton of our many needs. Can you stomach that? :)

And we're not done yet. Got that?

I asked you about 5 times where you would rank Miami's portal class this year. You've done everything possible to make up excuses for why you won't answer me. You've ducked and dodged and run. Which is completely weird, to make such an effort to avoid giving a Miami coach a factual compliment. It's like it would hurt you in your soul. Or are you one of those people who can never be wrong? You know you can say both "Mario has landed a top 5 portal class" and "we still haven't plugged all our holes" and both can be true, right? Weird how you are doing every sort of mental gymnastic to avoid recognizing that Mario has pulled in one of the five most talented portal classes in CFB... so far.

This is so boring, dude. I get it, you want it all, and you want it now, and if you don't get it you're gonna let us know day in and day out. What Noisy Cats Are We.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 3.35.05 PM.png

Last edited:

This. We need Kelly to be up to speed by game 1. Skillset is there.

Why is this so hard for you? Are you trolling? There is a ceiling with what you can do in the portal. If you have a ton of holes because, say, you are taking over a program that has been dysfunctionally mired in mediocrity for two decades, and you have to run half the team off because they don't belong, well, you are going to have a lot of holes to fill. Probably more than you can in one off-season. Get it?

There are only so many players in the portal that are talented enough to play here, are healthy, and aren't head cases that are culture problems. And transfer kids are much more likely to have "issues" than kids who don't leave, so the pool of guys that you are competing with the entire country for is even smaller than it seems. You need to get your share, you need to out-recruit your peers, but you aren't going to conquer Rome in a day, no matter how much the internet wants you to. Mario and Miami have brought in a more talented class than most other high P5 programs that have been aggressive in the portal. He's beating USC, LSU, AUB, OK, OREGON, UF, etc. Get it?

I think its adorable that you want 20 transfer 4-stars under your Christmas tree next to your shiny new Playstation that plug every issue we have in one portal season, and I get that you love to fixate (over and over) on what we haven't corrected (yet) rather than the massive talent acquisition accomplishment Mario has pulled off, but the only fair way to judge how Mario is recruiting against the rest of CFB is how Mario is recruiting against the rest of CFB. Get it?

And as of now, Mario objectively has one of the top 5 most talented portal classes that has met a ton of our many needs. Can you stomach that? :)

I asked you about 5 times where you would rank Miami's portal class this year. You've done everything possible to make up excuses for why you won't answer me. You've ducked and dodged and run. Which is completely weird, to make such an effort to avoid giving a Miami coach a factual compliment. It's like it would hurt you in your soul. Or are you one of those people who can never be wrong? You know you can say both "Mario has landed a top 5 portal class" and "we still haven't plugged all our holes" and both can be true, right? Weird how you are doing every sort of mental gymnastic to avoid recognizing that Mario has pulled in one of the five most talented portal classes in CFB... so far.

This is so boring, dude. I get it, you want it all, and you want it now, and if you don't get it you're gonna let us know day in and day out. What Noisy Cats Are We.

View attachment 238080
Wow you’re mad. Lol. It’s a really good haul (as LCE would say: “don’t attack me.”). I think the DT & outside WR pieces are legit holes and I think that’s how he sees it though we filled a lot of needs overall and the average ranking is solid at 3 or so as you’ve mentioned and like you said, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

That said, I still think it’s going to take Dawson showing something on the field on O to fix the outside WR and improve the QB recruiting. Hopefully the focus on DT at the high school level pays off as I have no idea why we can’t get traction at that spot.

Advertisement
After a bad night of intercourse I roll over and tell my significant other “ I know you probably think tonight was awful but my PFF grade says I graded out excellent”. Now she has the same opinion of PFF as i do.
Cribby do you see Gore having any role this year in the DT rotation?

Cribby do you see Gore having any role this year in the DT rotation?
Going off spring I’d say there’s more questions than answers with him but I don’t want to write him off just because of a month of practice. He was struggling though. Maybe he needs to get used to the step up in competition or maybe he’s just not able to hang at this level.

Bruh if Malone and rose came we’d actually be pretty raw and pick up Sam plus the wr we’d be set imo. This would be a very good team throw in another linebacker and I think we’re actually able to beat multiple teams we lost to last year.

Advertisement
Jesus Christ, enough of the constantly-moving goalposts.

Mario Cristobal is not, and never has been, a WR coach. And you are confusing "narrative", which is a dirty-recruiting technique, with actual facts and stats and reality.

You asked for examples, you were given a fantastic example, and now you're comparing a guy who was on an NFL roster a few months ago (Hilton) to a guy who played football in the 1970s and 1980s (Largent).

You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to exaggerate in a disingenuous attempt to "be critical" of a coach, just because you figure that everyone else will get tired of rebutting your claims.

This:

"Cristobal has no track record of developing receivers so if he is looking for development that’s a red flag"

Is not a true or accurate statement, no matter how many times you try to revise the parameters once someone calls you out for saying that.
Ok cool you’re right, there’s no red flags at all and that’s why we’ve been so good at getting receivers to sign up to play here lol

There are only so many players in the portal that are talented enough to play here, are healthy, and aren't head cases that are culture problems. Over 70% of the kids in the portal have never started a game. Think about that. And transfer kids are much more likely to have "issues" than kids who don't leave, so the pool of guys that you are competing with the entire country for is even smaller than it seems. You need to get your share, you need to out-recruit your peers, but you aren't going to conquer Rome in a day, no matter how much the internet wants you to. Mario and Miami have brought in a more talented class than most other high P5 programs that have been aggressive in the portal. He's beating USC, LSU, AUB, OK, OREGON, UF, etc. Get it?

View attachment 238080
Are you okay? Are you on the spectrum? You are a total spaz. First thing let’s address this question you say I didn’t answer but I actually did. I told you I didn’t think Miami had a top ten Portal class. I also told you multiple times I don’t believe or care about comparing to other teams in the portal anyway why I didn’t bother to address it the first time. Once again, you would have noticed that if you werent such a spaz.

The portal is supplementary and should be graded based on that team’s needs. It’s not like the HS cycle where all needs are being addressed and it’s easy to rank comparatively but I’ve already explained this to you. Example is Michigan and UGA, they have quality commits but because they are very good they didn’t much in the portal but got what they needed. Nobody is saying Michigan or particularly UGA have a top portal class but they took care of business.

You go on these hysterical rants trying to put words in people’s mouths. Someone makes a reasonable criticism and here you go again turning everything it into hyperbole. Now it’s people saying Mario is falling on his face or they don’t want Mario to succeed.

Wow you’re mad. Lol. It’s a really good haul (as LCE would say: “don’t attack me.”). I think the DT & outside WR pieces are legit holes and I think that’s how he sees it though we filled a lot of needs overall and the average ranking is solid at 3 or so as you’ve mentioned and like you said, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

That said, I still think it’s going to take Dawson showing something on the field on O to fix the outside WR and improve the QB recruiting. Hopefully the focus on DT at the high school level pays off as I have no idea why we can’t get traction at that spot.

Mad? Nah.

Just think the mental gymnastics people do to avoid giving out coach credit is astounding. You should have seen his spin in the other thread. Dead or Alive would have been jealous. As I said above, you can say "Mario has landed a top 5 portal class" and "we still haven't plugged all our holes" and both can be true. Bobby just can't seem to find the will on the first part lol.

I also agree with every other part of your post!

Advertisement
Back