Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement

Traore wants to play receiver. Guess this could cut either way for us:

Cristobal has no track record of developing receivers so if he is looking for development that’s a red flag

OR

**** have an easier time getting playing time for Day 1 here then at Oregon or Arkansas and his potential OC developed Tank Dell

I would LOVE this take. Also helps us keep an international pipeline going at Clearwater.

Traore wants to play receiver. Guess this could cut either way for us:

Cristobal has no track record of developing receivers so if he is looking for development that’s a red flag

OR

**** have an easier time getting playing time for Day 1 here then at Oregon or Arkansas and his potential OC developed Tank Dell

I would LOVE this take. Also helps us keep an international pipeline going at Clearwater.
Cristobal isn't a WR coach so why would he have a track record of developing WRs?

Advertisement
Cristobal isn't a WR coach so why would he have a track record of developing WRs?
I mean his offenses didn't put any receivers of note in the league at Oregon and last season we all know what happened. Even Cribby has said there is a narrative with recruits about him, and that has been borne out in the portal and with high schoolers so far. He might not coach receivers but you can bet that he is a big part of any receiver's calculus, until proven otherwise.

We're fine at DT

Fv2rDiFXsAAEBlv

And you guys said MTSU had no talent

We're fine at DT

Fv2rDiFXsAAEBlv
Lol maybe Gore is a gamer, idk. But don’t expect any substantial impact and be pleasantly surprised if he does emerge as an ok pass rusher.

Not sure what PFF is smoking to have Taylor that high, but for the Dline to be successful, he’s got to consistently play at a high level. Not for one series, then disappear for the next.

Advertisement
I mean his offenses didn't put any receivers of note in the league at Oregon and last season we all know what happened. Even Cribby has said there is a narrative with recruits about him, and that has been borne out in the portal and with high schoolers so far. He might not coach receivers but you can bet that he is a big part of any receiver's calculus, until proven otherwise.
Well if you are going off that Ty Hilton played his entire college career with him. Dillon Mitchell also had his best season with Mario as HC with 1200 yards 10TDs. WRs can succeed on a Mario Cristobal team. I think going forward Mario offenses will be more pass heavy and allow WRs to have more production now that he's brought in Shannon Dawson. In the past Mario would have a 55/45 run to pass ratio, I'm hoping we flip that with Dawson coming in.

We're fine at DT

Fv2rDiFXsAAEBlv
Most talk as if DT is one position. In fact, it has to be treated as two positions. This convo was discussed in a thread earlier this year where @Lance Roffers added the following:

You can remove the beginning to believe. It is 100% a different position. It’s an entirely different role.

What you really want is the unicorn like you mentioned. A 1T who can also rush the passer. Having a 1T that can do that changes your defense. Not only does it allow your defense to be base-heavy, you aren’t exposed as much by tempo because your 1T can play both run and pass. If an offense gets your slug 1T out there and gets that first 1st down, you tend to see tempo without subbing so that player can’t get off the field and you have little rush. Or vice versa if you get stuck with a DE inside, they’ll pound it.

Our problem is the whole roster at DT seems best suited for the 3T role with the hope that Moten can fill the 1T role. That may work for much of the schedule but against a team that wants to run (and is capable of running effectively), I have visions of UNC running for 600 yards.

If things remain the same going into the season, I'm curious what Guidry can do to disguise this weakness. For instance, how did he address Notre Dame last year?

Well if you are going off that Ty Hilton played his entire college career with him. Dillon Mitchell also had his best season with Mario as HC with 1200 yards 10TDs. WRs can succeed on a Mario Cristobal team. I think going forward Mario offenses will be more pass heavy and allow WRs to have more production now that he's brought in Shannon Dawson. In the past Mario would have a 55/45 run to pass ratio, I'm hoping we flip that with Dawson coming in.
Yeah I mean I guess I’m thinking while these kids were recruiting can actually remember. Ty Hilton might as well be Steve Largent to a kid we’re currently recruiting.

Advertisement
Yeah I mean I guess I’m thinking while these kids were recruiting can actually remember. Ty Hilton might as well be Steve Largent to a kid we’re currently recruiting.

Jesus Christ, enough of the constantly-moving goalposts.

Mario Cristobal is not, and never has been, a WR coach. And you are confusing "narrative", which is a dirty-recruiting technique, with actual facts and stats and reality.

You asked for examples, you were given a fantastic example, and now you're comparing a guy who was on an NFL roster a few months ago (Hilton) to a guy who played football in the 1970s and 1980s (Largent).

You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to exaggerate in a disingenuous attempt to "be critical" of a coach, just because you figure that everyone else will get tired of rebutting your claims.

This:

"Cristobal has no track record of developing receivers so if he is looking for development that’s a red flag"

Is not a true or accurate statement, no matter how many times you try to revise the parameters once someone calls you out for saying that.

Advertisement
The problem is we’re rolling the dice on health in a number of key positions, given ongoing failures at recruiting positions like QB, WR, and DT in particular. IF everything breaks right and IF we stay healthy maybe we’ll be ok, but how likely is it that we’re going to avoid injuries at all of these positions? Seems highly unlikely and it didn’t need to be this way.
You’re moving the goal posts. I was discussing how I felt at each position. You disagreed with QB.

I’d take a room with TVD in it and no solid back up over three average guys that no one is sure about (Bama for instance). I’d prefer having a good back up but AND TVD but the portal isn’t going to give you the luxury. Guys want to start. The best case would have been holding onto Garcia.

It’s not ideal but it’s college football and finding a good QB is the key to winning. Keeping him healthy is going to much easier with this OLine and this system.

I mean, ok. Whatever. 🤷🏾‍♂️

We’re not even done but yeah, people are on crack or have an alternative agenda if they think we haven’t done well in the portal.

For our standards, yes we have way more holes to fill (WR and DT are glaringly obvious). But just from a big picture perspective…

- Added two starting-caliber corners
- A starting-caliber RB
- The best center in the country
- Another top OL on a top five program
- An impact-ready DT that’s earned all-conference honors in a conference that’s much better and more physical than the ACC
- A tight end that while not nearly as skilled in the offensive department, a guy that will undoubtedly help in the run game and short yardage situations (underrated addition as we’ve sucked donkey balls on 3rd and short situations).
- A LB1
- An elite special teams player in Roberts
- Slot DB depth in Davis

Secondary and OL are completely transformed. Sam in the back end would be a phenomenal addition. Add Kirk + Harrell and now WR looks…decent? Campbell as another body on the DL, maybe Nixon at LB depth…we’re certainly trying to hit that 8-win goal.

Advertisement
Back