Spring Transfer Portal

QB is in good shape?!? Did you watch Jacurri play last year and in the spring game, and have you seen our depth chart? We’re one hit to TVD—who missed multiple games last season due to injury—from an absolute disaster at the qb position.
Idk y ppl r so high on Jacurri period. The kid is a **** of an athlete but he makes Anthony Brown look like Drew Brees. I won't be surprised, in fact I bet Emory beats him out.

Advertisement
Idk y ppl r so high on Jacurri period. The kid is a **** of an athlete but he makes Anthony Brown look like Drew Brees. I won't be surprised, in fact I bet Emory beats him out.
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

QB is in good shape?!? Did you watch Jacurri play last year and in the spring game, and have you seen our depth chart? We’re one hit to TVD—who missed multiple games last season due to injury—from an absolute disaster at the qb position.
TVD is a top 10 QB this year. I’d roll the dice with that over having an average starting QB with another average QB backing him up.

It’s not ideal by any means but none of these portal qb’s that have taken a backup role are going to move the needle

He was always considered a multi-year project. he should never have played last year but our coaches were incompetent. They burned his redshirt using him for quarterback sneaks twice a game. He needs to redshirt this year. There's no reason he should play in more than the 4 game max.

Advertisement
He was always considered a multi-year project. he should never have played last year but our coaches were incompetent. They burned his redshirt using him for quarterback sneaks twice a game. He needs to redshirt this year. There's no reason he should play in more than the 4 game max.
He did more then QB sneaks twice a game last year. I think the coach's were just desperate to find any kind of hope at that position towards the end of the year. We were borderline in the position of the 49ers in the playoffs last year with no hope. Have to hope for the best for TVD health this year or there will be reason for him to play again.

💯 about the coaches. I just don't see him playing QB here, I hope I'm wrong. Also is it smart to take on "multi-year projects" in this era of the transfer portal?

💯 about the coaches. I just don't see him playing QB here, I hope I'm wrong. Also is it smart to take on "multi-year projects" in this era of the transfer portal?
If you manage it right, there’s no issue bringing in developmental guys. They have to be bought in though. For instance, if it’s true that Jacurri is asking for a redshirt, that’s a really good sign that he’s bought in.

TVD is a top 10 QB this year. I’d roll the dice with that over having an average starting QB with another average QB backing him up.

It’s not ideal by any means but none of these portal qb’s that have taken a backup role are going to move the needle
The problem is we’re rolling the dice on health in a number of key positions, given ongoing failures at recruiting positions like QB, WR, and DT in particular. IF everything breaks right and IF we stay healthy maybe we’ll be ok, but how likely is it that we’re going to avoid injuries at all of these positions? Seems highly unlikely and it didn’t need to be this way.

Advertisement
If you manage it right, there’s no issue bringing in developmental guys. They have to be bought in though. For instance, if it’s true that Jacurri is asking for a redshirt, that’s a really good sign that he’s bought in.
I guess in very specific circumstances it's smart but I don't think it should be the rule for Miami.

Absolutely. As long as you're upfront with the player while you're recruiting him. Jacurri knows he's a work in progress. Rhett Lashlee told him that right from the jump. He WANTS to redshirt this year. He didn't come here under the assumption that he was going to get playing time early. He wasn't supposed to see the field until 2024.

He did more then QB sneaks twice a game last year. I think the coach's were just desperate to find any kind of hope at that position towards the end of the year. We were borderline in the position of the 49ers in the playoffs last year with no hope. Have to hope for the best for TVD health this year or there will be reason for him to play again.
He started two games late in the season after they had already burned his redshirt using him as a short yardage fullback.

Actually woke up thinking about our QB room this morning. 💯 with your post. I'm not down on Jacurri, but I think even he knows a redshirt year is a good plan for him. Only 3 scholies at this position concern me. The 2&3 need time

Advertisement
Yeah I'm really impressed with the way it's come together. QB, OL, RB, TE, DE, and the entire Secondary are in good shape (if we get Sam)

WR should be fine I think the system is going to help elevate those guys. Kirk coming in from JUCO means he should be physically mature enough to get into the rotation.

The only two spots I see as a problem are LB and DT. Both still need a starter type talent and I don't think either is going to get it. But just like 90% of college football programs we'll have holes and need to scheme accordingly. I like Guidry's chances better than I did Steeles.
Harrell should be someone we bring in hopefully he’s healthy that kid can change the scoreboard

Emory is already a better passer but Jaccuri has more upside. Jaccuri just needs to sit for another 2 years. We go portal QB for 2024, and 2025 will be Jaccuri Vs Emory for QB1.

Advertisement
I guess in very specific circumstances it's smart but I don't think it should be the rule for Miami.
I mean, no, ideally we're running the Georgia playbook and filling our classes with 90% blue chippers. But even the big boys take "developmental" dudes...in fact, if we are worth a **** at player development, taking traits guys with high ceilings actually should be the expectation. D$ always does a good job of breaking it down in his NFL Draft post-mortems...you take fliers on guys that stand out in multiple sports, fit certain physical parameters, etc. Our issue has been WAY too many fliers on dudes that don't have the right body types, characterisitics, etc.

Advertisement
Back