Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement

Miami has long been looking for wide receiver help via the transfer portal ahead of the 2023 season.

Many names have surfaced and flamed out but that’s not keeping Mario Cristobal and his staff from constantly exploring options as they look to add some competition to a room that underperformed last fall, while also giving Tyler Van Dyke more weapons in this new wide open offense.

One new name to monitor is Reedley (Cali.) College’s Shemar Kirk, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who caught 45 passes for 782 yards (17.4 yards per catch) and eight touchdowns last fall for a 5-5 team. The season before, Kirk averaged 21.4 yards per catch, bringing in 31 balls for 664 yards with seven scores.

In 2022, Kirk went for over 100-yards in four of the eight games he played with a career-high 170-yards coming in late October loss where Kirk scored the only touchdown of the game.

In back-to-back games as a freshman, Kirk went for over 150 yards with touchdowns of 79 and 90-yards. During that two game stretch, Kirk brought in nine passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UCF, Purdue, Washington State, Temple, UNLV, and Akron are some schools who have extended offers. Kirk spent time in College Station last month for an official visit with the Aggies.

Originally from Nashville, Kirk is a prospect who would be able to join the team this summer.

------

Not a portal WR but JUCO.

Miami has long been looking for wide receiver help via the transfer portal ahead of the 2023 season.

Many names have surfaced and flamed out but that’s not keeping Mario Cristobal and his staff from constantly exploring options as they look to add some competition to a room that underperformed last fall, while also giving Tyler Van Dyke more weapons in this new wide open offense.

One new name to monitor is Reedley (Cali.) College’s Shemar Kirk, a 6-foot-1, 180-pounder who caught 45 passes for 782 yards (17.4 yards per catch) and eight touchdowns last fall for a 5-5 team. The season before, Kirk averaged 21.4 yards per catch, bringing in 31 balls for 664 yards with seven scores.

In 2022, Kirk went for over 100-yards in four of the eight games he played with a career-high 170-yards coming in late October loss where Kirk scored the only touchdown of the game.

In back-to-back games as a freshman, Kirk went for over 150 yards with touchdowns of 79 and 90-yards. During that two game stretch, Kirk brought in nine passes for 312 yards and four touchdowns.

Texas A&M, Mississippi State, UCF, Purdue, Washington State, Temple, UNLV, and Akron are some schools who have extended offers. Kirk spent time in College Station last month for an official visit with the Aggies.

Originally from Nashville, Kirk is a prospect who would be able to join the team this summer.

------

Not a portal WR but JUCO.

247 is saying a chance he visits this weekend. Hopefully will know for sure later on today

LSU is a school that owns its state and recruits itself.

He know show to coach...they didnt run anyone out of town there from Miles to the drunk really.

As long as they lock up the Louisiana elites and he can use his midwest connects land some others and play the portal they will always be sufficient. I knew it would happen..LSU is a bag school thru n thru so it doesnt matter to much about the fit/etc

Of the kids ranked as 5-stars or 4-stars in Louisiana in the 2022 class (a transition class, granted, but Kelly had a lot of hype, was hired early, and had a top 12 class, and other first year coaches got him, like Mario snatching Citizen), LSU only landed 5 of 20 of them, including only 2 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10.

Some notable LA 3-stars they also offered and recruited but didn't sign were:

Trevor Etienne (signed with UF over LSU, CLEM, TAMU, PSU)
Danny Lewis (signed with BAMA over LSU, UF)
Shone Washington (signed with UGA over LSU, BAMA, UF)
Amorion Walker (signed with Michigan over LSU, ND, BAMA)

There are more, but I tried to keep it to kids that signed with elite programs on LSU's level.

In 2023, Kelly's bump class off a season where they won the SEC West, in a weak, top-heavy class in-state, of the kids ranked as 5-stars or 4-stars in Louisiana, LSU landed 7 of 17 of them, but only 2 of the top 8 and 4 of the top 10, and they lost both of the elite in-state QBs. So most of the truly elite kids got away (the 2 of 8 is a wild stat, see pic).

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 11.55.11 AM.png

There isn't a single school in American that "locks up its state" anymore, including BAMA, UGA, TEX, and USC, except maybe Ohio State, and they've been having their issues too here and there.

The state line thing is become less and less valid ever year. The world is shrinking. It's wild.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not here to weigh in on Kelly as a coach, but I think the point he is making is that LSU provides more admin support and it is easier to recruit kids there compared to ND.
Academically it’s definitely easier, but in terms of resources it’s the same.

If BKells lost every big game at Notre Dame he’s less likely to start winning them at LSU.

Kelly is a good coach, i said as much when he got hired. You can be a goofy and quirky, but when u turn that film on and break it down with kids, they can tell if you know what you talking about. You dont win as many games as he has and not be a good coach

Advertisement
Kelly is a good coach, i said as much when he got hired. You can be a goofy and quirky, but when u turn that film on and break it down with kids, they can tell if you know what you talking about. You dont win as many games as he has and not be a good coach
There are plenty of good coaches who don't have rings. I'd be willing to bet Kelly never will.

least talented group on the roster imo....

well was running close with cbs..

Rocky Shelton flashed in spring game and Francisco looked great.

I honestly thought Keontra transferred out until i saw him at the spring game...Flagg played better than him last year. Wesley is light in the *** and young....so yea...1 more guy likely is needed...Chase Smith we dont know what we have yet.

It may allow us to shirt the youngings coming in or atleast 2 of them the rest will play on special teams

Take away Francisco and the true freshmen, and the talent is nearly nonexistent.

Flagg, Keontra and Ragone appear to be great team players, can provide adequate supporting roles. But they shouldn't be on the field with the game on the line. Chase is still recovering from injury and has yet to have any impact.

If we don't bring in a portaler, we better hope James Williams comes down as the second LB or at the very least the strong nickel. I'm not a fan of starting true freshmen at LB, thought we were stupid in 2016, still think it's a stupid idea. But we'll have no other option without a portaler to lean very heavily on those kids. I do think they're very good. Just too inexperienced and young.

Advertisement
LSU is a **** good job

Corrupt politicians in your pockets
All in corrupt boosters
Recruiting location

Whatever the HC wants they will get
Are they still going to be able to participate at a high level when an elite quarterback costs the same as Kelly’s contract?

Academically it’s definitely easier, but in terms of resources it’s the same.

If BKells lost every big game at Notre Dame he’s less likely to start winning them at LSU.
LSU’s recruiting footprint makes it easier for him to amass the talent to win, than ND’s. Personally I don’t think he’ll ever beat Kirby. But the chance he can get them at right time is higher at LSU than ND.

I think the best way to categorize it is, LSU can make Kelly a title winning coach. Just like the program did for O and Miles.

Advertisement
Back