Spring Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Not going to lie, it’s been a lot slower than I anticipated (both from Miami’s side and in general). Still five days left though.
I've also heard of a few kids at Miami who aren't in the portal, and technically won't be for a bit, but they've been told they no longer have a spot. I know 1 of these kids plans on graduating first and will have the credits to graduate at the end of the summer. Grad transfers can enter at any time not just in the portal windows.

Could see a few of those. Also may never be announced for guys like Matocha who just get their degree and retire from football.

I did expect to see a few more young guys that just can't hang or are unhappy to dip. I think a lot of the fringe players are scared. Only like 30-40% make it out of the portal to a new school.

I would say Isaac Sopoaga, Maa Tanuvasa, Penei Sewell, Domata Peko, and Al Noga (Oakie Salave'a is at the 6th spot lol, too many OG's that have paved the way before him). You got a ton of guys that transferred out during hs like the Mauigoa and Sewell bros, and Mose Tatupu.
Isaac was a freakshow, strongest guy I ever seen and at that time back in Hawaii he barely even trained yet. Natural strength like a bear, could throw a football 80 yards, would get the ball in post and dunk on dudes during pick up ball. The Athletic even had an article awhile back;

Advertisement
I've also heard of a few kids at Miami who aren't in the portal, and technically won't be for a bit, but they've been told they no longer have a spot. I know 1 of these kids plans on graduating first and will have the credits to graduate at the end of the summer. Grad transfers can enter at any time not just in the portal windows.

Could see a few of those. Also may never be announced for guys like Matocha who just get their degree and retire from football.

I did expect to see a few more young guys that just can't hang or are unhappy to dip. I think a lot of the fringe players are scared. Only like 30-40% make it out of the portal to a new school.
I can see the last part being the impetus to the NCAA or somebody stepping in to fix the portal. Can’t give card Blanche to players and not give flexibility to the schools but at some point a bunch kids who aren’t talented will fall in the gutter with nowhere to go.

Yep, I think a fair amount are scared to see what level they truly belong at. Good point on the degree part.

Eh too black and white. The problem with CU is too many are leaving. Deion has one year to fill the roster to 85 (I believe this year is the last unlimited counters exception). If he doesn’t, he’s essentially given CU the death penalty.

Also, some decent players are leaving (relative to their team), the players he should want to keep for now. We’d be ****ed losing say, Ahmmon Richards after his freshman year here and they’ve lost their version of that already (fr leading receiver form last year). Also a lot of chatter about ****ed up NIL. Deion will be hard pressed to fill a roster with better players if they have **** NIL and go winless.

Good. **** Deion. I understand the black and white and need for context. My point is we love to throw these stones when we have our own roster problems to solve and capable players have moved on in the hope of replacing them with better here.

Lots of time until September

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Thanks. I can’t figure out what we do or have done or are trying to do in the portal.

Well, speaking for the DT from Mississippi, I believe we are being patient because he is playing baseball games right now.

Some of the others are done deals. From what was said on Friday, it seems that we are definitely being more secretive due to the carrion-bird nature of the Portal right now.

I know that's not a great feeling for fans, as fans, but I think that more is happening than the public knows. I'm not as worried about Mario's "indecisiveness", though I would love to have more public commits right now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back