Spring sports waiver approved!

Advertisement
Great news for these athletes.

I hope they are waiving maximum roster allowances to be sure kids who return are not stopping schools from bringing in new talent.

I also think coaches are going to have some tough conversations with players who they may not want back. At the end of the day, revenues in college sports have plummeted and keeping a kid on scholarship does cost a ton of money.

Last edited:
Great news, especially for the juniors that will likely go undrafted. I’d take the 20K if offered if I were a senior like Van Belle though.

Great news, especially for the juniors that will likely go undrafted. I’d take the 20K if offered if I were a senior like Van Belle though.

If this is true, might make him think twice. I mean, Van Belle isn't much of a MLB prospect. And with the minors likely being downsized next year he might not ever pitch in a MiLB game (there won't be any short-season leagues this year and he'd be 24.5 years old next Spring Training). If he can get a full scholarship for 2021 (like he absolutely deserves), might be worth it to come back.

Hard to know if he would get offered $20k either. Teams seem to be indicating they are going to be cutting corners every way possible to save $. When you're laying off up to 30% of your front office staff (like several teams are warning they'll going to do), you are unlikely to hand out any money unless there's a tangible potential return.

I agree this is huge for Rivera, Jenkins, and Federman especially. Now they'll be true juniors again next year, when the draft will be at least 20 rounds and there won't be a $20k cap.

Gives Cecconi a definite decision to make as well. He'll still have 2 years of leverage if he decides to return. At the very least he has significantly more leverage to get 1st round $ from anyone wanting to draft him

Advertisement
If this is true, might make him think twice. I mean, Van Belle isn't much of a MLB prospect. And with the minors likely being downsized next year he might not ever pitch in a MiLB game (there won't be any short-season leagues this year and he'd be 24.5 years old next Spring Training). If he can get a full scholarship for 2021 (like he absolutely deserves), might be worth it to come back.

Hard to know if he would get offered $20k either. Teams seem to be indicating they are going to be cutting corners every way possible to save $. When you're laying off up to 30% of your front office staff (like several teams are warning they'll going to do), you are unlikely to hand out any money unless there's a tangible potential return.

Van Belle can only get a full scholly if he was already on one. They said schools can only give as much as they got now or less. But they can't get more

Van Belle can only get a full scholly if he was already on one. They said schools can only give as much as they got now or less. But they can't get more

Yeah just noticed that after seeing another article on it. That sucks.

I agree this is huge for Rivera, Jenkins, and Federman especially. Now they'll be true juniors again next year, when the draft will be at least 20 rounds and there won't be a $20k cap.

Gives Cecconi a definite decision to make as well. He'll still have 2 years of leverage if he decides to return. At the very least he has significantly more leverage to get 1st round $ from anyone wanting to draft him
Obviously less room to deal in a short draft and not much opportunity to save, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Slade treat this like a HS Senior and tell teams “Here’s my number, meet it or I’m going back.”

Not absolutely crazy to think if Toral slips past the 5th as BA and PG indicate, we could essentially return the entire lineup (or as much of it as Gino wants to use money/roster spots on) that we left Orlando with a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Obviously less room to deal in a short draft and not much opportunity to save, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Slade treat this like a HS Senior and tell teams “Here’s my number, meet it or I’m going back.”

Not absolutely crazy to think if Toral slips past the 5th as BA and PG indicate, we could essentially return the entire lineup (or as much of it as Gino wants to use money/roster spots on) that we left Orlando with a couple weeks ago.

Really it comes down to how much of our rotation comes back. And whether Zamora's injury drops him out of the 5 rounds.

Advertisement

With this many potential roster spots, and chance some HS kids go the JC route for a year and then sign w us as sophomores (such that they get freshman PT)? Can they leave JC after one year and go to a D1?

Advertisement
Back