Spring Scrimmage #2

Advertisement
View attachment 145493View attachment 145494View attachment 145495

Restrepo blocking for Rambo in the first pic.

I think Rambo will be better than KJ Osborn was for us when transferred here, I think his big play ability will separate him from the rest of the WR group.

Harley will still be the safety blanket for King, but Rambo will be the big play game breaker that stretches the field.

And Steed looks like he was getting around the corner on Herbert.
I know we forget about the older guys and are always looking for the next star from the young cats , but Steed is quietly having a really nice spring.

His defenses have blown up many truck plays if we're being honest. I know own the much preferred routine for many here is to trash all things Miami but some of us aint with that.
Word, disagree and keep it movin

Advertisement
I know we forget about the older guys and are always looking for the next star from the young cats , but Steed is quietly having a really nice spring.

TBH, Steed looked like he had lost a step out there last season, and I thought he might end up like Ownens and Kirby after their injuries. But maybe he was rushed back before being ready given how bad the other options were.

Prior to his injury, I was on the Steed bus. Loved when @waynejr31 would post on here. I felt he was way underrated coming out of high school and expected Steed to be a slightly faster version of Pinckney. So if he's showing up in practice, that's amazing news.

A reinvigorated Steed, along with a better developed Huff, Keontra and Brooks. That's a group that is at least respectable. Still too much uncertainty there, unfortunately.

Outside of X we haven’t seen any stats that would lead us to think the younger WRs are ready for a larger role up to this point. We don’t have any 5 star day one starters coming in the fall either. I would hedge my money on the older guys the first half of season. Several games of good tape from Pope and Wiggins. As a whole, we don’t perform to our potential in big games.

I don’t know what fans expect but outside of LT, JW and Chase I don’t see any freshman being day one contributors on defense. I do doubt Amari plays a lot this year and Mccloud plays in situational moments.

The game of the year is UNC in October. That’s game that will decide Manny’s tenure here. Play whoever but win that game.
You don’t know what fans expect? We expect better results.

Advertisement
20 pounds?

He drops 20 pounds on his morning shlt.

He looks massive, he looks like he’s pushing 380 or more, to me. Just from that one picture. You could line up three Garcias next to each other and still wouldn’t cover him.

He’s massive. Now how much weight does he need to lose? I have no idea. maybe not much, I sure don’t know. But I’m pretty sure that 20 pounds wouldn’t make a **** of a lot of difference.

Look at the size of this guy:

View attachment 145475
It’s weird to write this about a guy that big, but his legs don’t look big compared to his upper body. And while it’s just a snap-shot, he’s on one toe, other foot not planted. Definitely not a power or leverage position. It might be unfair to judge a random photo like this, but it’s not like our OL have generally performed the last many years.

I’m not assuming they’re better because of potential, I’m saying we’ll never know if they’re better if they never get a chance to play in a game.

I have no idea if they’re ready for Bama or UNC because they’re never allowed to play, but i do know who isn’t ready for Bama & UNC... Dee Wiggz & Mark Pope, how do I know? Because I seen them play UNC & they were both terrible, now obviously neither has played against Bama but it’s not a stretch of the imagination to say they wouldn't play much better vs them either.

And how Elite does a WR have to be in order to be productive in college? Jonathan Adams Jr caught 79rec for 1,111yds & 12TD’s at Ark St, Jaelon Darden caught 74rec for 1,190yds & 19TD’s at North Texas, Jaivon Heiligh caught 65rec for 998yds & 10TD’s at Coast Carolina, Xavier Hutchinson caught 64rec for 771yds & 4TD’s at Iowa St, Romeo Doubs caught 58rec for 1,002yds & 9TD’s at Nevada, how “Elite” are they?
Now the automatic response would be, “but they were all upperclassmen”, well Jordan Addison caught 60rec for 666yds & 4TD’s as a TF at Pitt last year, more than our entire WR group, Jaylon Robinson caught 55rec 979yds & 6TD’s as a True Sophomore at UCF, Zay Flowers caught 56rec for 892yds & 9TD’s as a True Sophomore at Boston College, Jo’Quavious Marks caught 70rec for 312yds & 3TD’s as a True Freshman at Miss St, David Bell at Purdue caught 53rec for 625yds & 8TD’s as a True Sophomore & in 2019 his TF season caught 86rec for 1,035yds & 7TD’s, Marvin Mims caught 37red for 610yds & 9TD’s, Kayshon Boutte caught 45rec for 735yds & 5TD’s as a TF, I could go on.

Point being, instead of always just sticking with the same guys, why not see if other guys can produce? How long do we have to wait to see if Pope or Wiggz aren’t the solution to our problems at WR even though it’s pretty obvious they’re not lol.
Why is this so hard for the coach balls tonguers to understand?

If you never try a new guy because he’s never done anything, then how will you ever know what he can do? At some point, his first reps will be his first reps. No one will ever be a great experienced player before they actually get the chance to play.

When you’ve got rep after rep of proof that guys don’t rise to the occasion and get bullied by 17 year olds, what on earth would lead you to not at least try a guy who could be way better? He might not be, but it’s not like we’re looking to sit an AA because he made one bad play. These dudes’ nearly entire resumé is mediocrity or worse.

I think Rambo will be better than KJ Osborn was for us when transferred here, I think his big play ability will separate him from the rest of the WR group.

Harley will still be the safety blanket for King, but Rambo will be the big play game breaker that stretches the field.

In fairness, who doesn’t?

At WR, imo Harley, Rambo will be top 2, Wiggins will get a lot of snaps, just on size/speed. Restreppo will also, on overall contributions, get open, catch dependably, block. If Pope doesn’t step up, could see him transferring. Curious to see what the frosh can do. Payton prolly transfers. Don’t know that, no offense to him, just a guess.

Advertisement
I thought steed looked solid at times last season. He’s had some tough luck with injuries, so always been rooting for him. But would be surprised if he starts. Have heard @Cribby mention Flagg and Huff as guys standing out so far. What’s your best guess at the 2-deep at this point?

They've got to find a way to get Restrepo on the field. He's just too dynamic, and we need more gamebreakers to harass defenses. Same goes for Keyshawn Smith. He's got to play. Harley and Rambo are a given, so that's 4. Lashlee's offense utilizes lots of WRs so he'll probably rotate 6 guys routinely. Add in Redding, Worsham, Peyton, Pope, Wiggins, Brashard and Romello, and that's a log jam.

Safe to say that two of the above will be making a business decision this Spring/Summer.

Advertisement
Fellas...

It's all gonna come down to who "wills themselves" into becoming the guys.

LOL, Macho, I know you hate Manuela's coach speech. But what else can he say at this time? I don't think it would help anyone if he said say "Pope, hit the portal because Harley's moving outside and I found my slot"?

Not apologizing for the guy. He's as slick as grease. Sometime I like it, sometimes I don't. But Manny's the face of the program, so he has to say something to the media.

Thank goodness Manny is the play caller now....top ten defense easy
source (3).gif

I agree on Rambo. He’s a big play guy who can actually beat man coverage. We have the “security blanket” guy in Harley who can move the chains and make the tough catch on third down but having a guy on the outside that just won’t get bodied by anyone playing press coverage could really open things up.

Advertisement
Back