Spring Preview: The Defensive Line

View as article
Nesta Silvera is such a beast he can dominate at both DT positions. But he playing the 1 tech bc the coaches not stupid.
However if the choice is Nesta or Bethel to start next to Willis (meaning Ford ain't ready yet) than Nesta is the obvious choice.

Matter fact now that I think about it, no way in **** Ford starting over Nesta.

Nesta /Ford / Miller
Willis / Bethel / Tito
Richt and staff already said nesta is a 3 tech.

Advertisement
You might think it makes sense (it doesn’t) but it doesn’t matter b/c the coaches aren’t moving him.

you keep saying "Bethel to d end" as if that's what the staff is doing and thinking. you keep saying "it makes sense and that's where he'll be." there are no plans on moving him, barring injury.

Bethel moving back to DE may not be the plan right now, but acting like the situation along the DL will remain completely static between now and August makes you look like a psycho.

A lot of people were clamring for Chad and Djax to play DT on passing downs and meat-heads like you were probably trying to shout them down because "Chad and Djax don't play DT."

Advertisement
Jackson should be fine and patchan was fine all of last year.

you don't "need" 5 in the rotation. Diaz likes to rotate but they don't "need" that much rest. 3-4 healthy ones all year should be fine for rest purposes. all of a sudden guys need really long breaks we need a rotation of 6 d ends. I don't get it.

Well we played 5 DEs last year -- Thomas, Trent, J Jackson, D Jackson, and Garvin. We like to rotate DL to keep them fresh so they can attack.
So I don't know that you "need" 5 in the rotation, but 4 seems like an absolute minimum.

I’m not hedging. If we sustain 2-3 injuries at d end for extended periods of time, something will happen. Maybe bethel goes back, maybe a lb moves down.

I don’t think I ever had a problem or said anything about Thomas or djax playing dt on passing downs.

Remain static? Not sure but bethel moving to d end is not a likely scenario. He’s projecting to be a starter at dt this spring and heading into fall.

Nesta can play nose. EASY. He's a quick curtis porter. A bully. Ford never impressed me with his burst or his leverage.

One of the Clemson guys posted his letter showing where he can transfer to. So I guess that’s who.
Like I said, that would be the only way they could transfer. Many people think there is some NCAA Grad Transfer Policy that allows grads to go anywhere. That policy doesn't exist. Allowing players to transfer within their conference has definitely been the exception and NOT a/the rule.

Advertisement
when was ford supposed to "impress" you? when was this? how many snaps or practices did you see him play? your going by his freshman year?

That's all there is? Why couldn't there be more DL recruited in the 2018 class? This seems to have been an ongoing weakness in our recruiting for years. Isn't there a DL transfer or Junior college transfer in the class?

If that's all there is, we're in big trouble come next season. There must be more than what was highlighted. There must be.

Miami has a grad transfer Tito Onegbo(spelling) coming from Illinois and are high on the list for Clemson DT Grad transfer Sterling Johnson ( has 2yrs of eligibility). There also a few unsigned 2018 players.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back