Spring Preview: The Defensive Line

Advertisement
the numbers don't have to be even. lol. we have 5 d ends. we don't have to have 6 and 6 at dt. we can get thru the season with 5 d ends. if 2 get hurt or something, then start moving guys. not moving just b/c we have 7 at dt and 5 at d end and need 6 and 6. that's idiotic. but, why expect less...

some of you guys throw out random crap with no backing. "we have 7 dt and 5 d ends so Martin is moving to d end."
kid hasn't really played d end but hey, we're moving him b/c some douche on CIS says so.

the numbers don't have to be even. lol. we have 5 d ends. we don't have to have 6 and 6 at dt. we can get thru the season with 5 d ends. if 2 get hurt or something, then start moving guys. not moving just b/c we have 7 at dt and 5 at d end and need 6 and 6. that's idiotic. but, why expect less...

If those 5 are healthy and read to play, that would be fine. A 5 man rotation at DE is good. The problem is you can't really count on Patchan being healthy. And who knows how D Jackson will come back from injury. Then your other guy is a FR that still needs to physically mature.

At DT, you in all likelihood have five guys that can contribute with Willis, Ford, Bethel, Silvera, and Tito. Then you've got another two who may or may not be able to contribute in Martin and Miller.

Admit it -- we're deeper at DT than DE.

Advertisement
Yeah gotta disagree on this one bud. I think Demetrius Jackson will essentially be the starter, but I think Jon Garvin can also be considered the starter when you look at how many snaps he will get at the end of the year. I think Demetrius is going to be kicking in a lot, and Garvin will be on the field a **** load.

Base Defense:
SDE: Demetrius Jackson > Joe Jackson > Scott Patchan.....meaning if Djackson gets hurt, Jjackson will play SDE, and Garvin will play WDE
3tDT: Gerald Willis > Pat Bethel/Nesta Silvera
1tDT: Jon Ford > Tito Odenigbo > Jordan Miller
WDE: Joe Jackson > Jon Garvin > Gregory Rousseau

Pass rush package:
SDE: Joe Jackson > Demetrius Jackson > Scott Patchan
3tDT: Demetrius Jackson > Pat Bethel > Gerald Willis
1tDT: Gerald Willis > Nesta Silvera > Jon Ford
WDE: Jon Garvin > Gregory Rousseau

Jackson should be fine and patchan was fine all of last year.

you don't "need" 5 in the rotation. Diaz likes to rotate but they don't "need" that much rest. 3-4 healthy ones all year should be fine for rest purposes. all of a sudden guys need really long breaks we need a rotation of 6 d ends. I don't get it.

I can't see Clemson allowing those DTs to transfer anywhere in the ACC. No way Dabo allows them to tranfer to Miami and face them in the ACC title game. Not happening.
I believe the rule book states that if you are a grad transfer you can transfer to a team within conference if you do not play them in the upcoming season.

They can transfer anywhere except a team on clemson schedule. Miami is not on their schedule.
Says who? Did Clemson give the transfer players permission to transfer within the ACC?

The Miami Athletic Dept wouldn't let Evan Sheriffs tranfer to another ACC school. He had to a petition the school's special panel that allowed him to transfer to specific ACC schools that the panel determined were relative to his Master's Degree interest.

There is no NCAA or ACC grad transfer policy regarding which school a player can transfer to. It's up to each individual school/athletic dept/coach. The only rule in place is that a grad transfer doesn't have to sit out a year before playing.

Unless Clemson specifically stated the players can transfer to any school not on their schedule, they won't be going to an ACC school.

The bottom line is that each school controls where transfer players can go. Many have argued that it is unfair because coaches go to other schools without penalty. I agree.

The system is rigged against the student athlete and many coaches are flat out hypocrites a la Kirby Smart. Remember when Kirby Smart got the Georgia job in 2016. He wouldn't let any of the Georgia players transfer to Miami with coach Richt. At the same time, that hypocrite publicly pressured Saban to allow Alabama DB transfer Maurice Smith to go to Georgia. Eventually, the SEC allowed it.

Even Miami is hypocritical. They wouldn't allow Evan Sherrifs to transfer within the conference, but are getting in line to get the Clemson D-line transfers. Pure hipocracy!!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bethel playing the 1 tech and Willis the 3 ?!? Is Bethel stout enough to hold the 1? I would think that Ford would be first in line to hold the 1 tech spot, that kid is massive.

My thoughts also. You generally want one of your DTs to be a big guy that can occupy a couple OL (like Kendrick Norton). Ford seems more suitable. But if Bethel is clear and away one of your top 2 (along with Willis), maybe you start him anyway.

That's all there is? Why couldn't there be more DL recruited in the 2018 class? This seems to have been an ongoing weakness in our recruiting for years. Isn't there a DL transfer or Junior college transfer in the class?

If that's all there is, we're in big trouble come next season. There must be more than what was highlighted. There must be.

You can thank the DL coach at Bama

Advertisement
Says who? Did Clemson give the transfer players permission to transfer within the ACC?

The Miami Athletic Dept wouldn't let Evan Sheriffs tranfer to another ACC school. He had to a petition the school's special panel that allowed him to transfer to specific ACC schools that the panel determined were relative to his Master's Degree interest.

There is no NCAA or ACC grad transfer policy regarding which school a player can transfer to. It's up to each individual school/athletic dept/coach. The only rule in place is that a grad transfer doesn't have to sit out a year before playing.

Unless Clemson specifically stated the players can transfer to any school not on their schedule, they won't be going to an ACC school.

The bottom line is that each school controls where transfer players can go. Many have argued that it is unfair because coaches go to other schools without penalty. I agree.

The system is rigged against the student athlete and many coaches are flat out hypocrites a la Kirby Smart. Remember when Kirby Smart got the Georgia job in 2016. He wouldn't let any of the Georgia players transfer to Miami with coach Richt. At the same time, that hypocrite publicly pressured Saban to allow Alabama DB transfer Maurice Smith to go to Georgia. Eventually, the SEC allowed it.

Even Miami is hypocritical. They wouldn't allow Evan Sherrifs to transfer within the conference, but are getting in line to get the Clemson D-line transfers. Pure hipocracy!!!!
One of the Clemson guys posted his letter showing where he can transfer to. So I guess that’s who.

Bethel will probably be 285 or so. He will be starting dt. He’s not playing d end. Multiple interviews with multiple coaches have listed bethel as dt when discussing dt depth. No one called him a swing guy or he switch. He’ll be a starting dt against LSU.

Our depth at dt is as bad or worse than d end.

The only way Bethel is starting is at SDE. And he not beating out Nesta at DT.

Advertisement
Nesta Silvera is such a beast he can dominate at both DT positions. But he playing the 1 tech bc the coaches not stupid.
However if the choice is Nesta or Bethel to start next to Willis (meaning Ford ain't ready yet) than Nesta is the obvious choice.

Matter fact now that I think about it, no way in **** Ford starting over Nesta.

Nesta /Ford / Miller
Willis / Bethel / Tito

as someone else noted, your posts get krazier and more retarded all the time (no offense).

Bethel at DE makes sense

DT: Willis, Ford, Nesta, Tito, Miller, Martin

DE: Jackson, Djax, Garvin, Bethel, Patchan, Rousseau

Advertisement
Back