Spring Preview: The Defensive Line

Pretty sure we have at least 1 Grad Transfer DT coming in right? And I thought we also had another Grad Transfer DE coming in as well. I know this article is titled "Spring" so, I understand why those guys were left off the depth chart conversation. We will have enough depth if those grad transfers actually produce on the field.

Advertisement
I completely agree. With new faces, people always forget about the guys that have been in the program developing and waiting for their opportunity. I don't think Nesta starts, but will be in the rotation. I think it's Willis and either Ford or Bethel as starters. Nesta will battle Martin for that 4th spot in the rotation.

I agree it's Willis, Ford, and Bethel, then most likely Odenigbo once he comes over the summer. He may be just shy of 300 pounds but has the experience to take on interior maulers.

Has Nesta or Miller even taken on an OL that runs zone or more exotic packages? The kid is a stud. But I don't see how a true freshman DT can be expected to know his assignments against top Power 5 teams, especially from So Fl where most teams run vanilla line schemes. Assuming he graduates and makes it on the team, Odenigbo has to be considered a contender for starting reps. He played in a power offense conference and is familiar with all types of offensive sets, and battle hardened. I doubt they shirt either freshmen, but as Chise says, they'll get situational reps only.

Why do yall act like an elite freshman DT can't make an impact in the two deep in cfb?

Nesta is better than Ford and Bethel put together. Not a diss bc they are both potentially very good dlineman, but some of you all need to realize how dominant a DT Nesta is and stop crying about his age.

The only reason he's not starting is bc Gerald Willis is in front of him, but on passing downs Nesta is starting.

Bethel will probably be 285 or so. He will be starting dt. He’s not playing d end. Multiple interviews with multiple coaches have listed bethel as dt when discussing dt depth. No one called him a swing guy or he switch. He’ll be a starting dt against LSU.

Our depth at dt is as bad or worse than d end.

Bethel will probably be 285 or so. He will be starting dt. He’s not playing d end. Multiple interviews with multiple coaches have listed bethel as dt when discussing dt depth. No one called him a swing guy or he switch. He’ll be a starting dt against LSU.

You apparently can't count.

DT - Willis, Ford, Bethel, Nesta, Tito, Miller, Martin - that's 7 guys. I'd count on all but Miller and Martin to get PT.
DE - JoeJack, DJack, Garvin, Patchan, Rousseau - that's 5 guys. Of whom DJack is coming off injury, Patchan has been injured more than healthy, and Rousseau is a thin FR who some think should RS. Excellent talent with Joe Jackson and Garvin, but just atrocious depth.

Depth isn't good at either spot, but it's clearly better at DT. If DJack and or Patchan isn't healthy, we're going to need help from elsewhere. Joe Jack and Garvin aren't playing 60 minutes. One of our LBs could help at DE and/or Bethel could help there.

Also, what's with the absolute statements? Are you on the coaching staff? Sure Bethel might start, but assuming Willis is one starting DT, I'd have to think the other starting DT will be more of the big NT type (probably Ford or possibly Tito).

Advertisement

DT is actually pretty good - 7 kids for 2 starting spots. DE is horrendous, esp SSDE. There isn't an SSDE on the roster behind D Jackson. That is why Bethel will play there. Bethel played that position for two years before he switched.

Nesta will get situational snaps as a penetrating disruptive DT. He’s not stepping into the Norton role opposite Willis.

Agree but that entirely depends on the (continued) development of ford. If nesta has been enrolled early, I think he would have stood a great shot.

Aa for Rousseau, it’s huge that he’s here for the spring. He won’t redshirt based on Diaz loving to play a lot of DL.

Advertisement
I agree it's Willis, Ford, and Bethel, then most likely Odenigbo once he comes over the summer. He may be just shy of 300 pounds but has the experience to take on interior maulers.

Has Nesta or Miller even taken on an OL that runs zone or more exotic packages? The kid is a stud. But I don't see how a true freshman DT can be expected to know his assignments against top Power 5 teams, especially from So Fl where most teams run vanilla line schemes. Assuming he graduates and makes it on the team, Odenigbo has to be considered a contender for starting reps. He played in a power offense conference and is familiar with all types of offensive sets, and battle hardened. I doubt they shirt either freshmen, but as Chise says, they'll get situational reps only.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the transfer DT from Illinois. Silvera's not a lock for playing time. He could find himself as 3rd string DT and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It means that there will be some legit competition not only for the starting job, but the backup positions as well.

I think we will have a really good 2-deep front 4. If there are injuries causing games to be missed, then we could see a drop off as the 3rd stringers would move up in the rotation. We are actually solid if 1 guy gets hurt assuming the top 5 DTs are Willis, Ford, Bethal, Odenigbo, and Silvera. The wild card is Tyreic Martin. Not much is expected from him, but this is year 3 in the program and it's time to sink or swim. If he elevates his game, he will be a contributer, othwise he gets passed on the depth chart and could possibly transfer in 2019.

I really think Bethel and Ford are going to be really good this year. Ford already physically looks like Coleus Campbell. Not the college version of Campbell at 250 lbs, but the present day Campbell at 300 lbs. Ford has packed on a lot more muscle than when he entered college and looks like a beast.

Last edited:
I completely agree. With new faces, people always forget about the guys that have been in the program developing and waiting for their opportunity. I don't think Nesta starts, but will be in the rotation. I think it's Willis and either Ford or Bethel as starters. Nesta will battle Martin for that 4th spot in the rotation.
We both forgot about Odenigbo. The DT tackle from Illinois. I expect him to challenge for a starting spot and be in the rotation at a minimum. Playing time won't be a lock for Silvera The competition will be good for all.

Fact is that all 4 guys will take a lot of snaps Nesta, Willis,Ford & Bethel
be great to add more bodies other than Illinois transfer... where are those Clemson grad transfers ?
DE doesn't look promising as well with depth being the issue
wow better be focused on adding depth in front 7 with JUCO help in terms of a plug and play
I can't see Clemson allowing those DTs to transfer anywhere in the ACC. No way Dabo allows them to tranfer to Miami and face them in the ACC title game. Not happening.

Pretty sure we have at least 1 Grad Transfer DT coming in right? And I thought we also had another Grad Transfer DE coming in as well. I know this article is titled "Spring" so, I understand why those guys were left off the depth chart conversation. We will have enough depth if those grad transfers actually produce on the field.
DT Odenigbo from Illinois

Advertisement

Bethel is not starting. Willis will be the starting 3 tech. Ford or that tito guy will start at the 1 tech.

Advertisement
you're strictly looking at numbers 7 vs 5. 5 is fine to go into the season with if we don't sustain any injuries. rotating 4 -5 guys is plenty. if 2 d ends get hurt and go down, sure, maybe Bethel moves.

but, as Shaq's dad said, look for Bethel and willis to start.

no, I'm not a coach. I've listened to every post signing day interview and the question of dt depth came up every time, and from Diaz to richt to Kul all commented and went down the list of who's coming back and who's coming in and Bethel was always mentioned almost 1st. he's at dt now and he'll be starting the season at dt. one or 2 d ends go down for any extended period of time or weeks, then come talk to me. as it stands today, he's a dt all season long.

or you can listen to Shaq's dad.

DE Jackson -- Garvin -- Rousseau
DT Willis -- Bethel -- Tito
DT Ford -- Silvera -- Miller
DE Djax -- Patchan -- Martin

Advertisement
Back