Spring Preview: RB

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Look back one year ago today: running back was one of the thinnest positions on the team. Nobody on the roster had proven themselves, aside from Mark Walton. Coach Richt even went on Twitter and publically announced Miami was looking for a graduate transfer running back. Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Having so much great talent at one position group leads to an increased level of competition. While the running back competition will not get as much attention as the QB competition, every position is up for grabs. Whoever is the starter at the end of spring camp will have beaten out other very talented players. Iron sharpens iron, and Miami has a lot of iron swords.

One of the main reasons for the increased competitiveness of the running backs room is Lorenzo Lingard. Bringing in one of the best ball carriers in the country tends to improve your running back room. Lingard is listed at 6’0, 190 lbs and is only going to get bigger and stronger in the Miami strength and conditioning program. He was a state champion in the 110 meter hurdles in high school and you can see that speed in his highlight tape. Lingard will have plenty of playing time next year and, with a strong spring and fall camp, he will push Travis Homer for playing time.

While Lorenzo Lingard is getting a lot of hype, and deservingly so, let’s not forget who stepped up big for Miami last year when Mark Walton went down. Travis Homer is a baller and nobody is going to pass him on the depth chart without a fight. Homer showed his breakaway speed and big play ability last season. He is also really good at catching the ball out of the backfield. He is not the biggest guy at 5’11, 195 lbs, but he can deliver a hit. Whether Lingard or Homer is the starter next season, Miami will be in great hands.

If you want to pull any positive out of the Mark Walton injury, it spurred Coach Richt and Coach Brown to move Deejay Dallas to the running back spot, as he started the season as a receiver. Moving to running back allowed Dallas to have a great second half of the season. Aside from just backing up Homer, Dallas added a new dimension to the offense. Dallas running the wildcat was one of the most successful plays in Miami’s ****nal. Dallas, both in spring ball and in 2018, will get playing time in both the back field, as well as the slot. Look for Miami to try out some creative ways to get Dallas the ball during spring football.

Robert Burns will be one of the more intriguing players to watch during spring football. Burns has been dealing with injuries since his junior season of high school. Burns, when healthy, was a beast on the field. He is 5’11, 215 lbs and runs angry. If he is able to get healthy, Burns will be a quality back. He could prove especially useful in short yard situations and has reportedly been tried a bit at fullback. The only problem is, getting Burns healthy is a big if.

Trayone Gray is entering his final season as a Miami Hurricane. Players entering their last season tend to work harder knowing that this is their last shot. Gray is one of the last few members of the Class of 2014. As a freshman, Gray had some academic issues and was not able to enroll until the end of the summer. Gray’s troubled career has not amounted to much yet, totalling just 36 carries and 221 yards. Gray will try to push for playing time in a very talented running back room. Trayone will add to the depth at the running back position. If he wants to do any more that just that, he has his work cut out for him.

The running back room will be one of the best position groups on the team during spring football. It will be interesting to see who splits time with the first team during the scrimmages and spring game. All in all, this running back corps is becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice write up, but nothing on CamRon Davis? Wouldn't be surprised if he got some reps too. Tape looks great. Seeems like a one cut and see ya type of back. Him and Lingard will be a great future 1-2 punch.

Really like Dallas too. If used correctly I think he is the most dynamic player on offense. If given a full bulk of touches (running and receiving) I think he is a AA type talent. Will be hard to get so many touches with all the depth though

Lingard is the truth. Impact player day one. Nuff said

Advertisement
Wait, Gray has 11 carries for 221 yards? Isn't that like 20 yards a carry? Did I miss something?

Wait, Gray has 11 carries for 221 yards? Isn't that like 20 yards a carry? Did I miss something?
It comes in garbage time of games. At least 100 of those yards came against FAMU in 2016. It is much less impressive when you look at who he has run against.

It comes in garbage time of games. At least 100 of those yards came against FAMU in 2016. It is much less impressive when you look at who he has run against.
Still, I don't remember him breaking multiple 20 yard runs. Yeah, I can see him having a decent average in garbage time, but 20 yards a carry? Seems a little off to me.

Found a site that says 36 carries for 221... That sounds closer to the truth.

Advertisement
Still, I don't remember him breaking multiple 20 yard runs. Yeah, I can see him having a decent average in garbage time, but 20 yards a carry? Seems a little off to me.

Found a site that says 36 carries for 221... That sounds closer to the truth.
OK correction. He does have 36 carries. Also, the 100 yard rusher in the FAMU game was Gus Edwards, not Gray.

Advertisement
Dallas is the guy that excites me the most out of the entire group. He has the most pro potential with his pass game versatility, explosion, elusiveness and finishing power. I hope the staff doesn't pigeonhole him as a situational weapon.

Lingard and Davis are college-ready physically so depth won't be an issue.

Nice write up, but nothing on CamRon Davis? Wouldn't be surprised if he got some reps too. Tape looks great. Seeems like a one cut and see ya type of back. Him and Lingard will be a great future 1-2 punch.

Really like Dallas too. If used correctly I think he is the most dynamic player on offense. If given a full bulk of touches (running and receiving) I think he is a AA type talent. Will be hard to get so many touches with all the depth though

Lingard is the truth. Impact player day one. Nuff said
Title says spring preview...

At this point, I think Choc should try to graduate by May if he hasn't already, and transfer to a midmajor like FAU for his final year to have some fun as the feature back. Kid bleeds O&G and will always be a Cane. But there's no chance he's getting carries with this stable of backs, much less earning starting reps. It's crazy to think he could be #5 or #6 on this depth chart. Doubt he even makes the travel team on away games.

Advertisement
Awesome posts here ,RB's " I LIKE THIS KIND OF PARTY" outstanding attitudes , I remember as a freshmen in "hamburger " drills I always counted spaces so I could get a piece of a senior starter as the line coaches standing there yelling .......WHO'S GOING TO SET THE TONE HERE AND LEAD WITH CONTACT WORTHY OF STARTING.......this is good stuff here brothers.

GOCANES

Awesome posts here ,RB's " I LIKE THIS KIND OF PARTY" outstanding attitudes , I remember as a freshmen in "hamburger " drills I always counted spaces so I could get a piece of a senior starter as the line coaches standing there yelling .......WHO'S GOING TO SET THE TONE HERE AND LEAD WITH CONTACT WORTHY OF STARTING.......this is good stuff here brothers.

GOCANES
Sorry for inserting old playing days cut short bad injury long long time ago to this day ( I deal with it) I have dreams of long ago the fun I had playing football under the lights all taken away.

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING UP WITH ME EVERYONE , I HAVE NO PLACE TO SHARE OR WHO WOULD LISTEN....

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back