Spring Preview: QB

Advertisement
Watching Perry, Weldon, and Williams high school films revealed they have better skills set than Rosier at the same time frame. Rosier going on third year in Richt’s offense system and Weldon is heading to his second spring. Nevertheless, the talent at The skills positions need an accurate and strong arm QB.

Rosier needs to work on deep outs, deep post, and come backs. Perry must value ball security and he will be qb that will attack any defense. I like Weldon and he reminds me of Walsh. Williams deep balls are weak like Rosier but he can make the short to medium throws with accuracy. Perry is the only qb who can beat Clemson!

Best case scenario is that Rosier falls at least to third string. Last year should have been an undefeated regular season imo.

Advertisement
I don’t want to sound like the typical douchebag fan that always says the new guy is the best, but Jarren Williams is the truth.

I’m very intrigued by Weldon as well.

Depth baby.
His tape is elite and has great size at 6’3 210, can make some deshaun Watson type of plays

Big off-season for Weldon and Perry. Great opportunity for Williams to compete early too, but IMO it comes down to Perry and Rosier. CMR will base his decision on who can consistently make the right decisions and protect the football. Perry's upside can't be ignored either.

All in all, a great problem to have. Plenty of capable bodies in the QB room, all competing.

If Perry doesn't get many first string reps in spring, I wonder how many Williams takes from him in the fall, because if Perry can't grab reps NOW, when will he? Can he?

The way I see it is Shirreffs doesn't transfer unless he believed Perry was passing him as #2. Now that doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but it would mean that Perry had indeed progressed some. I would be shocked if he doesn't get a crack at it.

Not true. The scheme is set up for a qb who can use his legs. Shirreffs isn’t a dual threat and he said he wanted to go somewhere where he could start

...If Perry can continue to build on that improvement and show Richt he can be a consistent decision-maker, there’s no reason he won’t be starting against LSU in the opener....

Perry, or any other QB for that matter, is going to have to do a whole lot more than be a “consistent decision-maker” to be the starter against LSU. Rosier was a consistent decision maker, he just wasn’t getting the ball there with some bad mechanics or a maybe a partly bum shoulder.

It’s going to take a whole lot more than just being a consistent decision-maker.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm going with the underdog that is Cade ... he has the skill set ... has little bad boy in him ... Richt its not going to tolerate too much of that ... but you need a bit of that. He got a ton of reps with the scout team .. on occasion would torch the number one D... We will see in a few weeks

I'm going with the underdog that is Cade ... he has the skill set ... has little bad boy in him ... Richt its not going to tolerate too much of that ... but you need a bit of that. He got a ton of reps with the scout team .. on occasion would torch the number one D... We will see in a few weeks
basically describing manziel, when he played. I’m with it.

Advertisement
everyone should be prepared for malik to at least start the LSU game with one of the younger kids getting some reps w/ the first team much like we've seen alabama, USC, ND, UGA etc all do in recent years...

I don't love it, but I am prepared for it if it happens. It might end up being a "gives us the best chance to win that game" kind of calculation.....although, I'm not sure I really care all that much. Obviously, I want them to beat any SEC team they play, but winning the Coastal and ACC is still far more important. They could lose to LSU and still make the playoff if they win the ACC. I'd almost rather not worry about winning that game so much, and just get the kids at QB some big game experience.

I don't love it, but I am prepared for it if it happens. It might end up being a "gives us the best chance to win that game" kind of calculation.....although, I'm not sure I really care all that much. Obviously, I want them to beat any SEC team they play, but winning the Coastal and ACC is still far more important. They could lose to LSU and still make the playoff if they win the ACC. I'd almost rather not worry about winning that game so much, and just get the kids at QB some big game experience.
To **** with losing to LSU! Miami has the roster and talent to win every single regular season game in 2018. They should have done that in 2017.

Perry, or any other QB for that matter, is going to have to do a whole lot more than be a “consistent decision-maker” to be the starter against LSU. Rosier was a consistent decision maker, he just wasn’t getting the ball there with some bad mechanics or a maybe a partly bum shoulder.

It’s going to take a whole lot more than just being a consistent decision-maker.

i feel this take. i remember saying several times last season that rosier was the first QB i can remember in awhile that consistently made the correct read, but just flat out missed. it gave me hope, because i value decision making from a QB immensely but then that accuracy never came around.. hoping we can chalk it up to that shoulder injury.

Advertisement
LOL at QB who won 10 games straight his first year as a starter falling to third string QB!
I did say best case scenario. If Miami wants to compete in the playoffs, qb play will have to be a lot better than Rosier. 10 games in the Corstal is one thing, winning games in the playoffs is another. I'm not trying to hate on the kid, but hopefully all he is for Miami is a stop gap measure.

Watching Perry, Weldon, and Williams high school films revealed they have better skills set than Rosier at the same time frame. Rosier going on third year in Richt’s offense system and Weldon is heading to his second spring. Nevertheless, the talent at The skills positions need an accurate and strong arm QB.

Rosier needs to work on deep outs, deep post, and come backs. Perry must value ball security and he will be qb that will attack any defense. I like Weldon and he reminds me of Walsh. Williams deep balls are weak like Rosier but he can make the short to medium throws with accuracy. Perry is the only qb who can beat Clemson!

Walsh, as in Steve? He was one of our least mobile qbs, and had questionable arm strength. Ability to read defenses though was off the charts and the talent around him enabled him to compensate for those weaknesses.

Advertisement
Back