Spring Spring PractiSe #15 SPRING GAME Saturday April 13 4 pm

Advertisement
With all the portal talk of "Miami needs upgrades"...

Uhm...

Who is leaving? Unless 🪽 Cristóbal is running some Saban blue/grey/alien shirt kinda operation with players...

Canes outta slots meng.

Advertisement
With all the portal talk of "Miami needs upgrades"...

Uhm...

Who is leaving? Unless 🪽 Cristóbal is running some Saban blue/grey/alien shirt kinda operation with players...

Canes outta slots meng.
Numbers will sort themselves out. Of course there will be departures that would sting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Poff: Didn't really see anything from Poff to go one way or another, didn't feel he had too many real opportunities. Like on his first drive he was doing well, then they got a penalty, then he had his worst play where he had a clean pocket and drifted like 15 yards back before throwing out of bounds, then next play he scrambled and idk if it would have been a tackle or not on 3rd... I'm not going to say anything predictive about him based on legit like 3 drives in a spring game lol. I expect him to fully be in the competition next year for the starting job. Maybe an elite talent like Ward enters in 2025 and we go for them, but I think most likely scenario is its an in-house competition. And at the end of the day regardless whether you liked what you saw from him or not in this spring game, pretty much everyone has unanimously said Poff was the clear #2 throughout spring as a whole. So this year he's #2. I think he needs to work on his tendency to drift backwards EVEN when he has a clean pocket.

Judd: Obvious RS and a guy I wouldn't expect to even be in the consideration for 3 years type of player - if he develops. I'm fine just having him as a backup and can run scout team until that time comes or he leaves. It is what it is with him. I'm fine having developmental Qbs on the roster. Low probability, but don't think it's a bad move taking a guy like him. Like I've said I'm all about taking the developmental Qb when you go all out for a stud in the portal. Which is what we did. No complaints. He's also a guy true frosh that enrolled early. His INT was a deep out from opposite hash. So yeah that wasn't good.

Emory: Was solid to good today. Nothing spectacular or anything, but nothing incredibly bad either. I really don't get anyone who came out of today claiming Emory was bad lol. Like if you watched and said this guy isn't spectacular and that's why you don't think he'll ever be the guy here, okay. But to say he was bad just leads me to think you didn't really watch. Worst play was getting stripped probably - gotta have better security/strength as he moves up the pocket so an hand swipe knocks it out. That was easily avoidable and he would have hit the check down for at least like 6+ yards if he didn't get stripped there. Next play no one open (and didn't see anyone open either) so he hits check down which was good. 3rd down and 11 he has an open crossing route but it looks like Wr (redding?) slows down for some reason and the pass is like a foot too far in front... like is that on Emory? I think so because his footwork on the pass was dog**** (like a jump pass). But his next drive was objectively good - he led a 2min TD drive and had solid passes. Just took what was there.

Jacurri: Was also solid to good today I'd say. But unfortunately the same problems we've all seen from him the last 2 seasons still show. He just straight misses waay too many easy throws. I think this performance in the spring game is basically who he is. He can make some big throws. He's got a great build, and has a pretty good arm that he can just flick it deep. And when he has a good base he can throw with velocity. He's not afraid to pull the trigger either. But dude literally has a higher comp% when throwing >8 yards than <5 yards, which is just crazy. I think this spring game showed exactly why people like him though. He can make big plays, And we actually saw him take off for a long run which is the first time he's ever shown that on film imo. Jacurris deep ball was to Kirk going against a walk on Cb, but it was good acurracy. This was the best throw of the day out of him Emory/Poff. But then his next play there was a miscommunication and he threw it deep to no one, and the following play he ****ed up the handoff and we turned it over. So like will people say he outplayed Emory? Yes but imo thats entirely because he had the deep pass to Kirk and a long run, and basically nothing else.

in Summation: I think I'd put it like this TODAY if I had to choose which Qb to start only this entire season between Jacurri and Emory, I'd lean more towards choosing Jacurri. This is because I think he will have these garbage passes, but ultimately has the higher ceiling and I'd hope by the end of the season he'd be hitting his stride. However, If I had to choose between Emory and Jacurri for 1 game only (like when Emory had to play against Clemson), I'd almost certainly lean towards playing Emory. It's a pretty typical high floor vs high ceiling call in those two situations for me.
There's a way in which Jacurri is similar to Avantae Williams.
Avantae had a pick against (I think it was) Georgia Tech where it looked like he cleanly jumped over the receiver and intercepted the pass, then returned it like 20 yards. And for 2 years, that was my idea of who Avantae was. But it eventually became clear that, while he was capable of that, on any given down, he could be completely lost.
Jacurri shows a huge arm and some great running ability. His big plays from yesterday stand out. But then, he also led a mess of a drive with penalties, a fumbled hand off, and off-target throws. So, I think you get all of that with him. The question is whether you want to take the good with the bad on him. I feel like I know how the staff feels on that question.

With Fletcher uncertainty the RB room is definitely in very poor shape. Allen is a mid RB and Johnson/Wheatley are gadget backs until they add size. Citizen I’m sure still needs more rehab and confidence but they need a premier RB in the worst way. Definitely above WR at this point.

I’m hoping with the summer and fall camp Mirabal can develop Carpenter further but he’s had alot of experience im not as worried.

Advertisement
With Fletcher uncertainty the RB room is definitely in very poor shape. Allen is a mid RB and Johnson/Wheatley are gadget backs until they add size. Citizen I’m sure still needs more rehab and confidence but they need a premier RB in the worst way. Definitely above WR at this point.

I’m hoping with the summer and fall camp Mirabal can develop Carpenter further but he’s had alot of experience im not as worried.

Carpenter has plenty of starting experience against Big Ten defenses and graded out well in his career . I think he’s going to be fine by Fall with some more time to adjust to the offense/coaching.

we better hope Ajay gets healthy if Fletch is out. CJ is not it right now. Wheatley looked more ready than him at times. Maybe Lyles will come in and do something but I think we need to hit the portal. Aside from Fletcher, Ajay is the only kid I trust in that room.
I said CJ was too small (pause)

Don’t care how fast you are if an arm tackle can bring u down you can’t run between them. We need an elite back to come out the portal cause none of them healthy or not don’t have a speed and power balance. None of them

There are not a lot of centers “Matt Lee” available.. They already try that approach and for lot of insiders he is not it or he is not on Lee level.
I didn't mean Carpenter, I meant any freshman they can actually teach how to snap. Gotta develop someone eventually can't just portal the entire roster if you plan to build a program

Advertisement
Back