Spring Practice Summary: 3/19

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Football is back at the University of Miami.

After a three month layoff, the Miami Hurricanes hit the practice field today for the first time under new head coach Manny Diaz. In the debut of The New Miami, Diaz made sure to make his mark early, letting the media watch on for nearly 50 minutes and also stay for 1-on-1's and 7-on-7 play, a personal first for me in two years of covering the team.

My initial takeaways? Practice was intense, loud, and fast-paced, with players moving rapidly to different stations and sets, and coaches running up and down the field. A notable moment included coach Banda chasing down Al Blades all the way down the field and getting in his face after not running through the endzone on a 1-on-1 rep he lost off the snap to Brian Hightower. New DC Blake Baker also ran down Michael Pinckney after he lost a 1-on-1 on a nasty move by Cam Davis, calmly explaining to the senior what he did wrong.

I thought the clear top performer of the day at QB was N'Kosi Perry. He really shined in 7-on-7 play, lofting a pretty deep ball over the shoulder of Brian Hightower in tight coverage just before he went out of bounds for about 30 yards. A second long strike went for a TD, as Mike Harley ran a go-route from the slot and got a step on Gurvan Hall, and Perry found Harley over the top for six. Hightower also stood out with multiple catches in both the 1-on-1's (didn't see him lose a rep) and the 7-on-7's. Jukes of the day go to Jeff Thomas (he lined up across from a walk-on for that rep), Asa Martin, and Cam Davis.

Players held out included Lorenzo Lingard (knee), Zach McCloud (unknown), and Brian Polendey (knee).

First Team Offense

N'Kosi Perry opened with the one's in the 7-on-7's, but Miami rotated the reps with the first unit almost equally between Perry, Tate Martell, and Jarren Williams. The wideouts rotated heavily as well.

QB: N'Kosi Perry
RB: DeeJay Dallas
WR: KJ Osborn
WR: Brian Hightower
Slot: Mike Harley
TE: Brevin Jordan
LT: DJ Scaife
LG: Navaughn Donaldson
C: Corey Gaynor
RG: Zalon’tae Hillery
RT: John Campbell

First Team Defense

DE: Jon Garvin
DT: Pat Bethel
DT: Jon Ford
DE: Scott Patchan
MIKE: Shaquille Quarterman
WILL: Michael Pinckney
STRK: Romeo Finley
CB Trajan Bandy
S: Amari Carter
S: Robert Knowles
CB: Al Blades

Second Team Offense

QB: Tate Martell or Jarren Williams
RB: Cam Davis
WR: Dee Wiggins
WR: Mark Pope
Slot: Jeff Thomas
TE: Will Mallory
OL: Unknown

Second Team Defense

DE: Gregory Rousseau
DT: Tyreic Martin
DT: Unknown
DE: Unknown
MIKE: BJ Jennings
WILL: Waynmon Steed
STRK: Gilbert Frierson
CB: DJ Ivey
S: Gurvan Hall
S: Derrick Smith
CB: Nigel Bethel

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Same. Pencil in Knowles to start on 08/24.
If after 2 full camps Diaz and his defensive staff believe Knowles is the best option to start at safety, then I'm fine with it. I trust their judgment over ours. And yes, I've watched every gaffe Knowles has made on the field over the last few years.

Having said all of that, I agree with CaliforniaCanes above that the depth chart will change and I doubt Robert will be on the field on the opening play in Orlando.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back