Spring Practice Interviews and like, stuff

Advertisement
Below is a link to a video by Porter at the palm beach post.
Almost a 4 minute video from yesterday's practice.

Just from that video, the defense looks pretty good. It's also pretty obvious our talented group of receivers won't be going downfield too often unless Olsen or Kaaya is the qb.
RW has a rag arm. He may get the ball out on time and is accurate, but very quickly his arm will be exposed. The way he just lofts it out there is going to lead to a lot of picks. Defenses will never have to worry about deep passes, particularly over 25 yards, so safeties are going to play shallow and lower the boom on our wr's running crosses.

Not trying to be negative, just stating the obvious.
With RW as qb we will be a dink and dunk offense. Forget about play action bombs. He doesn't have the arm unless he punts it out there like Jacory used to do to poor Travis Benjamin.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...icanes-2014-spring-football-highlights-vol-i/

Advertisement

Just from that video, the defense looks pretty good. It's also pretty obvious our talented group of receivers won't be going downfield too often unless Olsen or Kaaya is the qb.
RW has a rag arm. He may get the ball out on time and is accurate, but very quickly his arm will be exposed. The way he just lofts it out there is going to lead to a lot of picks. Defenses will never have to worry about deep passes, particularly over 25 yards, so safeties are going to play shallow and lower the boom on our wr's running crosses.

With RW as qb we will be a dink and dunk offense. Forget about play action bombs. He doesn't have the arm unless he punts it out there like Jacory used to do to poor Travis Benjamin.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...icanes-2014-spring-football-highlights-vol-i/

None of that is indicative of what this offense might be. Timing, anticipation and accuracy is more important for a deep ball than arm strength. Morris hung up a number of deep balls because he threw them late.

Ryan Tannehill has a good arm and can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Was our offense struggling to test defense's deep with Dorsey's arm? His predecessor, Kenny Kelly, had a strong arm and all he did was force Santana Moss to make great plays on what should've been easy TDs.

The dime that Williams dropped on Herb Waters in the USF game showed me that he is capable. He won't be be throwing opposite hash outs and comebacks. Not that we run alot of that stuff anyway.

Last edited:

None of that is indicative of what this offense might be. Timing, anticipation and accuracy is more important for a deep ball than arm strength. Morris hung up a number of deep balls because he threw them late.

Ryan Tannehill has a good arm and can't throw a deep ball to save his life. Was our offense struggling to test defense's deep with Dorsey's arm? His predecessor, Kenny Kelly, had a strong arm and all he did was force Santana Moss to make great plays on what should've been easy TDs.

The dime that Williams dropped on Herb Waters in the USF game showed me that he is capable. He won't be be throwing opposite hash outs and comebacks. Not that we run alot of that stuff anyway.

You are correct. Morris did underthrow some deep balls. Even a Golden arm will miss, and does have its deep limits.
In Morris' case he threw it 70 yards when he should have thrown it 75.

It's not the 65 yards in the air bombs we will miss. It's the velocity to squeeze passes into tight spaces. It's the fact that safeties won't have to worry about 40 yard frozen ropes.
Williams arm is not going to scare anybody, and safeties won't have to worry about a third of the field and can concentrate only on what's in front of them.

Our last rag arm was Jacory, and I can still see Benjamin blowing 20 yards past a corner and a safety, only to end up trying to out jump 2 people on a 40 yard punt.

Timing and accuracy are great, but when defenses can play right up in our wr's grill because they don't have to worry about deep balls with velocity, then those short to intermediate passes better have some serious rpm's.

I'm just saying that with an average to slightly below average arm, the passes and the routes have to be absolutely perfect, or else you get an int or your wr gets absolutely laid out by a hard charging safety, who doesn't need to worry about providing deep help.

Morris didn't really excell at one cot **** thing except the occasional back shoulder throw!

No touch
Awful timing
No rhythm
Horrible feet
Zero pocket presence
Could not go through progression
Never used the middle or TE
Never checked down
Poor descisions
Running out of bounds before 1st
Not a leader

Morris will not be missed.

If Williams or Olsen can just be a real cot **** QB instead of the bull **** we've fielded the last 10 years... I'm good and so should the offense.

Advertisement
Stephen could not read defenses fast, he threw the ball to the right person but threw the ball late. The person would be open but by time he sees them the defense already noticed. I remember in the fsu game he actually had time to throw.

I am starting to feel that our QB play will improve this year, regardless of whether it's Williams or Olsen taking the snaps.

I had such high hopes for Morris before last season, and all he did was severely underperform.

The last great quarterback we had, did not have a big arm. Getting tired of this down talk about Ryan.

I watched some Dorsey highlights, and Ryan definitely emulates Ken. Anticipation, timing, and touch was Ken's skill set, so is Ryan's.

I'm not saying that Ryan is the next Ken, far from it. But to sit here and act like a guy with the skill set of Ryan can't be successful, is complete crap.

Johnny, Teddy, Carr, AJ, even Blake, don't have huge arms, but all of those guys are doing just fine. AJ was compared to Ken coming out of high school, and they we're spot on.

Again, not saying Ryan will do what the aforementioned will do, just pointing out that Ryan does NOT need a big arm to take us places. It's an overrated and overused bash on Ryan. Snickers could throw it a country mile, and he was bum. Dorsey could only throw a twenty yard rope, and he is the GOAT as far as I'm concerned as far as quarterbacks at UM.

[video=youtube_share;fETtVD2ue1w]http://youtu.be/fETtVD2ue1w[/video]

Advertisement
From 4:40 to 5:10 in that video was good stuff. Anticipation, timing and accuracy on full display on the Waters play. Snickers doesn't make that throw, or the one after it. Coley was the only player capable of catching that ball.

You are correct. Morris did underthrow some deep balls. Even a Golden arm will miss, and does have its deep limits.
In Morris' case he threw it 70 yards when he should have thrown it 75.

It's not the 65 yards in the air bombs we will miss. It's the velocity to squeeze passes into tight spaces. It's the fact that safeties won't have to worry about 40 yard frozen ropes.
Williams arm is not going to scare anybody, and safeties won't have to worry about a third of the field and can concentrate only on what's in front of them.

Our last rag arm was Jacory, and I can still see Benjamin blowing 20 yards past a corner and a safety, only to end up trying to out jump 2 people on a 40 yard punt.

Timing and accuracy are great, but when defenses can play right up in our wr's grill because they don't have to worry about deep balls with velocity, then those short to intermediate passes better have some serious rpm's.

I'm just saying that with an average to slightly below average arm, the passes and the routes have to be absolutely perfect, or else you get an int or your wr gets absolutely laid out by a hard charging safety, who doesn't need to worry about providing deep help.

I'm good with no more laser throws into tight spaces if it means the QB can go through progressions and throw balls in spots where WRs, TEs, and RBs can catch and run.

Morris was largely incapable of both.

Velocity looks good until players are twirling around in open space just to make the catch - which was the case on many slants, seems, and dump offs to the RBs (when that happened).

Advertisement
Morris's ability to throw deep was such an overrated attribute because of his poor timing, accuracy, and inconsistency in the short and intermediate game.

If you watched Jameis Winston this year, I rarely saw him toss the balls more than 20 yards in the air and I would bet my house that his arm is easily strong strong enough to to do it. Forcing defenses to adjudt to respect the deep ball is only pwerful if your running game and short passing game are consequently effective by the the defenses adjustment and more space in the box or underneath zones. Morris was never a good at the short game but Duke was the limting factor for defenses to overcompensate. When duke went down, our offense went to **** and so Morris. It wasn't a coincidence.

Advertisement
Back