Spring Cleaning: Defense

I think Smith needs some time to get better in coverage
His coverage ability is not as bad as people think, dur
From that analysis I see two primary concerns:

1. We have two starting DTs in Nesty and Ford, a "super sub" in Bethel, a fourth in Miller who may have a "bit role" and Martin behind him. Sounds like a 3 man rotation to me. That is not enough, even if all stay really healthy. The kid from UCLA better come in ready to play real minutes.
2. We knew we had questions at safety. I still don't see answers and expect us to sub a lot, based on what I currently see as a lack of complete and complimentary pairs. I see some potential physical forces, but not a lot of coverage skills or versatility.
The only players at S that are physical and good at coverage are probably Gurvan Hall and Bubba bolden. Amari carter still needs work, and I don't know about D Smith since he was injured during the spring.

Advertisement
A fear I have is that we give up more long, explosive plays this season. Quan was our last line of defense for the past 3 seasons and single-handidly (literally) saved dozens of would-be TDs.

I find it a bit strange that frierson was moved to striker before Carter. Carter seems like a perfect fit and I thought frierson was rangier. Not sure what to make of that.

"The book on Knowles is well written at this point: A team source says he practices well but struggles to stay mentally focused on game day. "

Will it ever change?

Advertisement
"The book on Knowles is well written at this point: A team source says he practices well but struggles to stay mentally focused on game day. "

Will it ever change?

Practices well? Not according to the media vids from Spring Ball 2019 where he was pictured getting beat.

I'm against the pile-on when it comes to Knowles but feel a bit insulted he's a current starter.

A fear I have is that we give up more long, explosive plays this season. Quan was our last line of defense for the past 3 seasons and single-handidly (literally) saved dozens of would-be TDs.

I find it a bit strange that frierson was moved to striker before Carter. Carter seems like a perfect fit and I thought frierson was rangier. Not sure what to make of that.

Frierson is an outstanding safety prospect that can have the range to do it all. My hope is that he still ends up there eventually. With that said, my guess as to why he was moved to Striker was possibly due to the mental game. The safeties in our defense may have the biggest onus placed on them in terms of the mental game (sadly it probably partially explains why Knowles keeps sticking around). Maybe the coaches saw the move to Striker as a way to get his skillset on the field in a dependable way sooner and possibly grow into a larger role.

Advertisement
I know that Bolden was highly ranked coming out of high-school but not being here until summer , can he learn our playbook in time for the gators?

We are a twisted ankle from teams throwing for 400 yards on us every week.
I get where you are coming from with this statement, my man. Diaz defenses tend to make average QB's sometimes look like All-Americans. However, I really believe our DE's are going to make it **** near impossible for a QB to have any real success this year, unless they use a dink and dunk type of approach. Our DE's are that good! If Harvey indeed ends up being 5th in the rotation, which is very likely, that's scary depth. That guy is something serious!

Simply put, QB's can't hit what they can't see. I honestly think that we will have the best pash rush in the country this year!

I don't recall many people saying that at all. Carter has always struggled in space. Smith and Carter are the ideal types for the striker position.
He’s a in the box type guy for sure. We will certainly be using 3 safety packages.

Advertisement
The striker is asked to cover quite a bit so perhaps that's kept Carter from being moved there. I was skeptical of Finley's ability in coverage until he was housing interceptions on national television.
Bingo! The striker in our system covers more man to man than the safety. The safety is either deep or blitzing and they man up sometimes but not that often.

Advertisement
If these newcomers on the defensive side come ready to play, especially: trevon hill, brooks, huff, bolden, and smith we'll be great again on defense no doubt. Also, hedley at punter flipping field position putting opposing offenses in binds.

maybe I have mistaken what the striker usually does, some people say the do a lot more covering than our safeties. If that is the case then it makes sense to have Frierson play striker. Now that I think about it they do guard the slot Wr majority of the time and one of the S will play more in the box.

Yesterday, we unleashed and cleaned out everything we’ve been hearing on spring practice about the offense, which can be found *here*, and today is all about how defense is looking heading into the summer months.

Defensive End

What want to hear
: That Gregory Rousseau picked up right where he left off.

What we’re hearing: Rousseau’s gotten praise from every coach/teammate in interviews, every source, etc., the highest being a source saying he’s got the length, hands, and get-off to be a top 5 NFL draft pick. Another said he is the best DE the defensive staff has seen in four years at Miami, and that he is better than Joe Jackson and Jon Garvin at this same stage. I’m told he is even more hungry in 2019 considering his expected breakout last year was stolen from him. Lost in the commotion around Rousseau is the standout spring Scott Patchan just had. He hasn’t missed a beat moving to the first team in his senior season.

Jon Garvin continues to do Jon Garvin things and there’s not much more to say about him. The staff knew how talented Jahfari Harvey was coming in as an early enrollee, but one team source says that some did not expect him to be this ready to play right away. Harvey is commanding playing time right now, has put on 10 pounds since his arrival, and is a sure bet to see the field in 2019. His play gave the coaches confidence in moving Patrick Joyner back to LB.

What it means: The emergence of Harvey solidified the group at DE, and gives the coaches 4 guys they can trust in games. And that’s without grad transfer Trevon Hill even on campus yet. Assuming everyone stays healthy, this crew will challenge the linebackers for the best position on the defense.

Defensive Tackle

What we want to hear
: That one (or two) players have improved enough to help replace Gerald Willis.

What we’re hearing: The breakout player of the entire spring may have been Jon Ford, who is really starting to put his physical talent all together. At least one team source feels he is ready to dominate in 2019 and it was unfortunate to see him go down midway through spring.

Have no fear, because Nesta Silvera stepped right in and was pointed to as UM’s most disruptive interior player after Ford went out by multiple sources. If you watched the spring game, then you already know that Silvera was bullying his opponents out there and showing his fiery demeanor. He’s going to play a huge role on this team and one source expects him to eventually lock down a starting role.

Pat Bethel was a steady presence on the line and he is a coaches’ favorite: he works till the whistle, doesn’t take plays off, and always knows his assignment. There’s a good chance he is eventually transitioned into a super sub role as Ford and Silvera keep progressing, but there is always room for guys like Bethel on your team.

Jordan Miller has shown a lot of potential as a massive space-eater that is still flexible and quick in his movements. The staff is confident that he will continue to make strides towards becoming an impact player in the next few years and he is expected to contribute in a bit role this season.

Tyreic Martin has finally got some mentions for the first time in his fourth season at UM, but he’s pretty set as the #5 guy right now.

What it means: Miami opened spring with the huge question mark of how they would replace Gerald Willis, and by the end, they got a resounding answer. Ford and Silvera really stepped up, and Bethel has been a solid veteran presence. Add in the potential of Miller, and incoming grad transfer Chigozie Nnoruka, and DT feels like it’s in a better spot than where we started the spring.

Linebacker/Striker

What we want to hear
: That the second unit is starting to form some depth-like substance.

What we’re hearing: Nothing new on Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinckney at MIKE and WILL; both are still very good and are leading the defense on and off the field. The noise has come from behind them, where BJ Jennings looks set to handle Mike Smith’s utility man role from last season and the staff believes he proved he deserves reps this fall after heading out with a groin injury late in camp. Patrick Joyner moved here from DE for the last week of spring and impressed in the spring game, leading the team in tackles. He looks like he could end up sticking at LB long-term, but needs to cut some weight.

Both Waynmon Steed (knee) and De’Andre Wilder (neck) have uncertain timetables for return but are unlikely to play this year barring a surprise.

At striker linebacker, Romeo Finley is much more comfortable in the hybrid striker role than at traditional safety and the game is slowing down for him a bit. A team source expects him to build on his breakout junior season and really make a name for himself in the ACC this season. A big spring surprise here was Gilbert Frierson, and he got a lot of love from coaches in interviews as well. One source says Frierson is the complete package at the spot and has been exactly what the coaches are looking for, being quick enough to cover slot receivers while being physical enough to shed blocks and make tackles at the line. He still needs to put on more weight but he is well on his way to playing time in 2019.

Zach McCloud missed the entire spring recovering from wrist surgery but is expected to be a full participant this fall.

What it means: The injuries at LB really took their toll by the end of spring, but it was a pleasant surprise to see Jennings and Joyner get good reviews. They’ll be pushed for their backup roles by Sam Brooks and Avery Huff’s arrival in the summer. Frierson really has a chance to be an impact player in a year and it will be exciting to watch his trajectory this season. Miami’s top 4 at linebacker are arguably the most experienced and talented in the ACC.

Cornerback

What we want to hear
: That someone has taken a hold of the second corner spot.

What we’re hearing: Trajan Bandy has assumed the #1 spot and keeps proving why he’s likely to play on Sundays. He’s not a prototypical #1 corner at 5’9”, but he’s well-built, uses advanced technique to play bigger than his size, and has the type of versatility where he can play both outside and inside when needed.

The real battle is going on for #2 cornerback, and most feel that it is DJ Ivey that has a slight lead there. Mike Rumph recently compared Ivey to himself in an interview, never a bad thing for a young player looking to earn a starting role. Ivey uses his length well and plays physically, two attributes that Rumph wants to see from his corners. Team sources feel Ivey could have an All-ACC type season if he stays healthy. Blades is close behind, but is making more mistakes out there right now. Regardless, both will play a ton this season and have bright futures at UM. Bethel looks like he could get reps if needed, but he’s still clearly behind Ivey and Blades.

What it means: Bandy has been an invaluable presence to a young corner group and has really led by example in bringing along Blades, Ivey, and Bethel. The overall numbers just aren’t where they need to be at this spot though, and Rumph is already telling summer enrollees Christian Williams and Te’Cory Couch to be ready to play.

Safety

What we want to hear
: That Miami has someone to keep Bubba Bolden’s seat warm.

What we’re hearing: Gurvan Hall was a guy that excited people in the program this spring, and that showed as he finished as a starter along with Robert Knowles. Hall is the type of rangy safety on the back end that the staff is looking for and he isn’t afraid to lower the boom as well. The book on Knowles is well written at this point: A team source says he practices well but struggles to stay mentally focused on game day.

Amari Carter continues to push Hall and Knowles here, and he was getting a lot of praise early on in interviews from the staff, but was sidelined with injury most of the spring until the last week of camp and finished with the second unit. Carter is another hard-hitter that Miami is hoping can excel in this defense, but UM is worried that his deficiencies in space will hold him back.

Derrick Smith also missed most of camp with injury and really could have used the extra reps in transitioning back to safety. James Murphy showed in the spring game he’s not just a special teams guy, picking off a pass and forcing a fumble.

What it means: Replacing the type of duo that was Jaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine won’t be easy, but it’s encouraging that an elite talent like Hall is beginning to rise to the top. We would have liked to see this unit stay healthy, start to string together good days, and build depth, so it was disappointing that it didn’t happen. Bolden is going to have every chance to come in this summer and take Knowles’ spot from Day 1.
oh god with this robert knowles i cant wait for him to be gone. kid was falling all over the place in the spring game vids i saw. you cant win compete for a NC wit ha kid like that in your 2 deep.

Bingo! The striker in our system covers more man to man than the safety. The safety is either deep or blitzing and they man up sometimes but not that often.
The striker position is a lot more than covering the slot guy man up. Gotta be able to hold your own in the run game too. It’s essentially a hybrid safety/lb.

When you look at who we used there last year - Finley and D Smith - frierson doesn’t seem to be in the same mold to me. Carter does.

Admittedly I know very little about frierson. I watched his HS film when he committed and thats about the extent of it. But I would’ve thought he would project at CB before striker.

Advertisement
Back