Spring 2018 QB battle

KyCane38

Redshirt Freshman
We know what Rosier is. His decision making was not terrible but his accuracy is suspect and idk if it cab be improved.

So lets move on to Perry vs Williams. From the little i have seen, JW is a much better running QB as far as picking up yards. I think both will be able to move around well in the pocket and pick up 10 yards but JW seems like the type that can out run you for 60. Does that sound about right or no?

As far as passing, idk how good JW is. I recall during summer aessions last year that most said Perry had thd best arm on the team and I'm sure he has a huge advantage knowing the playbook. Do yall think JW has a legit chance to start as an EE or is this between Rosier and Perry?

Advertisement
If Williams is a quick study - the job could go either direction.

Early reports of his performance at the AA game are positive.

It's between Perry and Rosier advantage Perry.Richt is gonna give Perry every chance to win the job,Williams will redshirt and learn

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

About that QB competition.

To date - for several years - the Greentree Superstar QB's can make excellent throws - but during a real game - they just . . . choke a lot.

Another thing that concerns me - and I'll be the first to say I don't know the QB position/process well - I understand that there are mechanics and processes that make them more consistent.

But I also know that on game day - everything goes according to plan - right up until the first snap.

Personally, I'd like a disciplined QB, with just a bit of Riverboat gambler mixed in - for those moments when blocks aren't made, when blitzes break through, and when the "first" read, and maybe the second "read" just isn't there.

Advertisement
Had I not found out Perry didn't even know what film study was until he got here, I would be more inclined to say he would win the job. That's a massive hurdle, especially if Williams already has done any of it in high school. Williams comes across as a smart guy, not just an athlete that can wow you. When I watch their films, I see Perry as the guy that can make plays, but it almost always looked like sandlot football. When I watched William's film, I saw a guy playing under control and within a system. Had they come in at the same time, I'd say advantage Williams.

It really just comes down to which QB grasps the system first, and takes control and makes plays within the system. Richt isn't going to start a guy that freestyles out there, no matter how talented he is.

I mentioned in another related thread that Rosier is not really that far ahead of Perry when you consider he only has 1 year under Richt's system and relatively recently learned how to watch film.

Perry has had a full year now participating in meetings, watching film , and learning the system Richt wants to implement. I think his natural talent and knowledge of system will take over this Spring and he will separate from Rosier.

I like Rosier as a backup. Williams will most likely redshirt just like Perry did this year. Weldon will be the 3rd guy not necessarily because he lacks talent but finds himself having to gain Richt's trust by staying out of trouble.

Sheriffs is the odd guy out and may likely transfer.

I mentioned in another related thread that Rosier is not really that far ahead of Perry when you consider he only has 1 year under Richt's system and relatively recently learned how to watch film.

Perry has had a full year now participating in meetings, watching film , and learning the system Richt wants to implement. I think his natural talent and knowledge of system will take over this Spring and he will separate from Rosier.

I like Rosier as a backup. Williams will most likely redshirt just like Perry did this year. Weldon will be the 3rd guy not necessarily because he lacks talent but finds himself having to gain Richt's trust by staying out of trouble.

I like Rosier as the backup too, unless the starter gets hurt and he has to play more than 2-3 games. Teams have figured out his limitations, which are many.

Williams is coming in, in my opinion, more prepared than what Perry came in as. He's also coming in early. I fully expect him to battle for the starting spot and finish either #1 or #2 . He might redshirt if he finishes #2 with hopes Perry doesn't get hurt. IF Perry goes down, his shirt gets burned.

I have a bad feeling it is going to be just like last Spring. Nobody playing well and nobody separating.

August will be the time someone steps up and looks solid.

Advertisement
I have a bad feeling it is going to be just like last Spring. Nobody playing well and nobody separating.

I disagree. I actually think we're going to see improved play across the board. If I'm wrong, God help us.

I disagree. I actually think we're going to see improved play across the board. .
I just don't know how our OL is going to look in the Spring. I have a feeling the D will win most battles again. Making it difficult to evaluate anything.

I disagree. I actually think we're going to see improved play across the board. .
I just don't know how our OL is going to look in the Spring. I have a feeling the D will win most battles again. Making it difficult to evaluate anything.

Perhaps. I just see 4 QBs that have been in the system another year, and a new guy that is coming in early, and seemingly well coached already. Very excited about what Williams brings to the competition.

I like Rosier as the backup too, unless the starter gets hurt and he has to play more than 2-3 games. Teams have figured out his limitations, which are many.

Williams is coming in, in my opinion, more prepared than what Perry came in as. He's also coming in early. I fully expect him to battle for the starting spot and finish either #1 or #2 . He might redshirt if he finishes #2 with hopes Perry doesn't get hurt. IF Perry goes down, his shirt gets burned.

if what you say about Williams is accurate then being an ee certainly helps his case. I would then look for a starter to maybe emerge in Fall camp.

I do think though Perry has the edge right now and it will show in the Spring. I still think Williams will need some time (and be given time) to adjust to the college game.

But I don't think Williams should lose a rs if Perry goes down as starter. Rosier is a capable back-up and we will have a solid run game with infusion of talent on oline and running back not to have to depend on Rosier's feast or famine play.

Advertisement

if what you say about Williams is accurate then being an ee certainly helps his case. I would then look for a starter to maybe emerge in Fall camp.

I do think though Perry has the edge right now and it will show in the Spring. I still think Williams will need some time (and be given time) to adjust to the college game.

But I don't think Williams should lose a rs if Perry goes down as starter. Rosier is a capable back-up and we will have a solid run game with infusion of talent on oline and running back not to have to depend on Rosier's feast or famine play.

If Rosier goes back in there, every team will take their chances with him. Our run game will suffer and it will force him to make plays that I seriously doubt he will make consistently.

Still, I think Richt will want him to redshirt, unless he's clearly far ahead of Rosier when the season starts. Even then, redshirt him unless he's needed.

Williams is coming in, in my opinion, more prepared than what Perry came in as. He's also coming in early. I fully expect him to battle for the starting spot and finish either [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or #2 . He might redshirt if he finishes #2 with hopes Perry doesn't get hurt. IF Perry goes down, his shirt gets burned.

If Rosier goes back in there, every team will take their chances with him. Our run game will suffer and it will force him to make plays that I seriously doubt he will make consistently.

Still, I think Richt will want him to redshirt, unless he's clearly far ahead of Rosier when the season starts. Even then, redshirt him unless he's needed.

As bad as Rosier was at times you have to remember he was also missing his #1 wr, te, and rb.

Advertisement
If Perry doesn't win the job this year then that should tell us all we need to know...you can't beat out Rosier and you have seen all he can do this past season.

Unless Perry is injured significantly, its his job. There is no way Richt trots Rosier out there again after seeing how he reacts to him unless he's forced to do so by injury.

Williams...he's not playing next year. If Weldon cleans himself up and stops the college antics...maybe he's a player in the discussion, but doubtful.

Shirreffs can't transfer to Mercer fast enough.

I think it comes down to a few areas
- Accuracy - even when we were winning Rosier would have one great half and one awful half
- Running - Rosier is way better than Brad but not a burner - he is shifty at best
- Turnovers - for the most part, Rosier had a good year in this space. If any of the other guys can be some what close in this space - they win the job

Williams is coming in, in my opinion, more prepared than what Perry came in as. He's also coming in early. I fully expect him to battle for the starting spot and finish either [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or #2 . He might redshirt if he finishes #2 with hopes Perry doesn't get hurt. IF Perry goes down, his shirt gets burned.

As bad as Rosier was at times you have to remember he was also missing his #1 wr, te, and rb.

He was also missing them with passes when they were in.

Advertisement
Back