Sporting News 2020 college football Preseason All-American team

Advertisement
For those who really know OL play, how good is Sewell and how high is his pro ceiling? Are we talking Ogden, Pace, kind of potential here?

Advertisement
This list is a reminder of the players we clamored for & missed out on.

I agree w this list, honestly. Rousseau should be a 1st team AA this season, and B Jordan & Roche should be considered borderline 1st team, 2nd team.

Advertisement
The narrative that the ACC is the weakest P5 conference is and has always been bull****.

ACC football is soft. Outside of the top ACC team in a given year......most would struggle to be top 4 in the other Power 5 conferences.

Dont let a few individual players convince you that this conference is any type of good top to bottom. There are good players in every conference. Group of 5 included

ACC football is soft. Outside of the top ACC team in a given year......most would struggle to be top 4 in the other Power 5 conferences.

Dont let a few individual players convince you that this conference is any type of go7od top to bottom. There are good players in every conference. Group of 5 included

Your definition of soft may differ from mine.

Advertisement
Your definition of soft may differ from mine.

Perhaps. I just don’t see any team here outside of Clemson, FSU on a good year, and Miami on a good year even placing top 4 in any other conference.

these teams are trash.

Navy could join the coastal and smash most these teams. WVU, ASU, AZ, Nebraska, would probably place top 2 in the coastal tomorrow.

Washington State and PAC-12 worst Stanford would murder the coastal year in and year out.

Ole Miss and Mississippi State would kill the coastal.

Texas Tech too.

And I don’t want to see stats of ACC coastal teams in bowl games vs the others. Over the course of a season those bottom feeders in other conferences would run this division and immediately be in the top 4 teams overall in this conference.

Perhaps. I just don’t see any team here outside of Clemson, FSU on a good year, and Miami on a good year even placing top 4 in any other conference.

these teams are trash.

Navy could join the coastal and smash most these teams. WVU, ASU, AZ, Nebraska, would probably place top 2 in the coastal tomorrow.

Washington State and PAC-12 worst Stanford would murder the coastal year in and year out.

Texas Tech too.

And I don’t want to see stats of ACC coastal teams in bowl games vs the others. Over the course of a season those bottom feeders in other conferences would run this division and immediately be in the top 4 teams overall in this conference.

Ok whatever you win. I'm too drunk to argue lol.

Our fans think that with our talent we should win easily against the "WEAK" teams in the ACC, this proves we have plenty of competition and yet I do agree we have exceptional talent, what I see missing is the won't lose attitude of our great teams. It is noticeable that our recent teams take lesser teams way too lightly ala last year beating FSU, Va but losing to teams we failed to put away via lesser effort. How can the team a couple years ago beat clobber ND then drop their final games to unranked opponents. It seems if we played top 25 teams every week we'd do better....sigh!

Advertisement
Ok whatever you win. I'm too drunk to argue lol.

these teams are trash.

Texas Tech too.

Ok not drunk anymore...just hungover.

In 2015, Louisville was 5-3 in ACC play. They went 2-1 against teams from the SEC.

In 2016, GT was 4-4 in ACC play. They went 3-0 against teams from the SEC.

In 2017, Wake was 4-4 in ACC play. They beat TAMU.

In 2018, Duke was 3-5 in ACC play. They beat the B1G West Champion on the road by two TDs.
...and they beat Baylor in Waco 40-27.

I could keep going, but I have a headache.

My point is that you can argue hypothetical scenarios wherein other conference's bottom feeders feast on the "soft" ACC...but when the actual results are telling a different story (like when GT kills an SEC team that was
ranked #1) your fairy tale kinda falls apart.

ETA: WVU is 6-7 against teams from the ACC since 2010. They would be a middle of the pack ACC team at best.

Last edited:
Ok not drunk anymore...just hungover.

In 2015, Louisville was 5-3 in ACC play. They went 2-1 against teams from the SEC.

In 2016, GT was 4-4 in ACC play. They went 3-0 against teams from the SEC.

In 2017, Wake was 4-4 in ACC play. They beat TAMU.

In 2018, Duke was 3-5 in ACC play. They beat the B1G West Champion on the road by two TDs.
...and they beat Baylor in Waco 40-27.

I could keep going, but I have a headache.

My point is that you can argue hypothetical scenarios wherein other conference's bottom feeders feast on the "soft" ACC...but when the actual results are telling a different story (like when GT kills an SEC team that was
ranked #1) your fairy tale kinda falls apart.

ETA: WVU is 6-7 against teams from the ACC since 2010. They would be a middle of the pack ACC team at best.

I see you with the facts!

My kinda guy!

I’ll present some of my own. And we’ll agree to disagree.
922BEE2F-803F-4F87-AF57-314F57F85BC0.jpeg

ACC went 6-14 Against other conferences.

The coastal 1-6 against other conferences. The Atlantic has always been the stronger division of our overall weak conference. Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and occasionally NCST been running that side.

That was just last year.
Look over the years and you will see similar patterns.

All teams can have down years. Some of those trash teams in other conferences are only trash because their conferences are loaded.

Where if they played in a different conference they’d be straight.

Imagine having to play in the BIG Ten East against Mich, Mich St, OSU, And PSU, If you are any of the other teams in the East.......automatically 4 losses and people thing you are a garbage program. MD moved to the B1G and still trash.

Put any coastal team in the BIG East they won’t finish with more than 8 wins average. And then having to play a crossover against Wisconsin or Iowa. Puts them at a perennial 6-8 win team.

It’s why I never liked having super stacked division or conferences. Data gets skewed based off who you are playing.

SEC East is a Easy division. Only UGA/UF hold the comp.

ACC Coastal is easy.

Big ten West is easy.

Big 12 is tough.

PAC-12 is the most balanced conference out there when it comes to quality of teams.

When we come back to dominate the coastal it won’t be a surprise. Like how people always pencil in Clemson/FSU for the ACCCG on the Atlantic side.

They always pencil in UF/UGA for the East. That should be Miami with the coastal. All of the coastal teams are pretty much average across the board.

Below are the overall Inter conference 1998.

2D7E608D-F8DA-420D-8D1E-0DBE6FBCA62E.jpeg

Again data can be skewed teams can have down years.

I see where you are coming from but I have no doubt many teams in the country would find great success in the ACC coastal.

I didn’t say all teams. Indiana would still be garbage if they came here. But a squad like Nebraska, or Tennessee, or Stanford immediately upgrade our competition here and would probably be in the hunt or ranked top 4 in the ACC overall.

Best teams we have historically in the ACC are Clemson, FSU, VT, and GT. Look how Louisville joined the conference and immediately found success and has remained that way.

Notice how that didn’t happen for Missouri or TAMU. TAMU might be able to get there eventually put they aren’t a top 4 overall SEC team.

Louisville came here and immediately made themselves one of the better programs in the ACC. That doesn’t happen in good conferences where the teams are good.

So my point remains. Outside of the Number 1 and some years number 2 team in the ACC nobody is going to a different conference and placing top 4 like Louisville and many other teams could do if they joined this trash conference.

I see you with the facts!

My kinda guy!

I’ll present some of my own. And we’ll agree to disagree.View attachment 120217

ACC went 6-14 Against other conferences.

The coastal 1-6 against other conferences. The Atlantic has always been the stronger division of our overall weak conference. Louisville, FSU, Clemson, and occasionally NCST been running that side.

That was just last year.
Look over the years and you will see similar patterns.

All teams can have down years. Some of those trash teams in other conferences are only trash because their conferences are loaded.

Where if they played in a different conference they’d be straight.

Imagine having to play in the BIG Ten East against Mich, Mich St, OSU, And PSU, If you are any of the other teams in the East.......automatically 4 losses and people thing you are a garbage program. MD moved to the B1G and still trash.

Put any coastal team in the BIG East they won’t finish with more than 8 wins average. And then having to play a crossover against Wisconsin or Iowa. Puts them at a perennial 6-8 win team.

It’s why I never liked having super stacked division or conferences. Data gets skewed based off who you are playing.

SEC East is a Easy division. Only UGA/UF hold the comp.

ACC Coastal is easy.

Big ten West is easy.

Big 12 is tough.

PAC-12 is the most balanced conference out there when it comes to quality of teams.

When we come back to dominate the coastal it won’t be a surprise. Like how people always pencil in Clemson/FSU for the ACCCG on the Atlantic side.

They always pencil in UF/UGA for the East. That should be Miami with the coastal. All of the coastal teams are pretty much average across the board.

Below are the overall Inter conference 1998.

View attachment 120218

Again data can be skewed teams can have down years.

I see where you are coming from but I have no doubt many teams in the country would find great success in the ACC coastal.

I didn’t say all teams. Indiana would still be garbage if they came here. But a squad like Nebraska, or Tennessee, or Stanford immediately upgrade our competition here and would probably be in the hunt or ranked top 4 in the ACC overall.

Best teams we have historically in the ACC are Clemson, FSU, VT, and GT. Look how Louisville joined the conference and immediately found success and has remained that way.

Notice how that didn’t happen for Missouri or TAMU. TAMU might be able to get there eventually put they aren’t a top 4 overall SEC team.

Louisville came here and immediately made themselves one of the better programs in the ACC. That doesn’t happen in good conferences where the teams are good.

So my point remains. Outside of the Number 1 and some years number 2 team in the ACC nobody is going to a different conference and placing top 4 like Louisville and many other teams could do if they joined this trash conference.

Louisville entered the ACC as an established nationally ranked program with a 23-3 record the previous two seasons. Their first season in the ACC they finished in 5th place. They had a Heisman trophy winning QB and they had a .66 winning % in ACC play during his time . Show me another team with a Heisman QB who finished middle of the pack in any other conference recently. The past two seasons they've been 5-11 in ACC play. One if the better programs in the ACC you say?

TAMU joined the SEC off a 7-6 season and went 11-2 in year one. They've been middle of the pack ever since. Missouri literally went to the SEC championship twice in their first three seasons in the SEC. You're not even trying to get the facts straight. Youre making ridiculous claims without doing any research besides looking at non-confidence W/L totals...which clearly aren't telling the whole story.

Last edited:
Louisville entered the ACC as an established nationally ranked program with a 23-3 record the previous two seasons. Their first season in the ACC they finished in 5th place. They had a Heisman trophy winning QB and they had a .66 winning % in ACC play during his time . Show me another team with a Heisman QB who finished middle of the pack in any other conference recently. The past two seasons they've been 5-11 in ACC play. One if the better programs in the ACC you say?

TAMU joined the SEC off a 7-6 season and went 11-2 in year one. They've been middle of the pack ever since. Missouri literally went to the SEC championship twice in their first three seasons in the SEC. You're not even trying to get the facts straight. Youre making ridiculous claims without doing any research besides looking at non-confidence W/L totals...which clearly aren't telling the whole story.

Brother your arguing semantics at this stage.....point I’m making which stands.

Your talking the last two years? Lol. Just you last year. They were the #3 team in the ACC. a bad 2018 means nothing. Like I said teams have bad seasons or down years. And their 8-5 record last season still qualifies as “a team moving to another conference and immediately being one of the better teams in that conference.” Top 4 overall. It shows how garbage this conference is. If we are truly the step up in competition as a “power 5 program”

Then there’s no way they show up and stake a claim as one of the 4 best programs in the ACC.

How would you rank the ACC programs by what they have accomplished?

1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. Louisville
4. VT.

Then everyone else in whatever order you want to put them too many teams close together in this conference. The ACC is the conference of incredibly average teams.

Its why Miami should have been feasting if we were some real power. But we are also an average college football program at this moment.

If Louisville was on the coastal side they’d probably win it. **** even Pitt who came from the big East has fared okay here. Neither came from Power 5 conferences. Most P5 schools could come here and actually place top 4 in the conference.

It’s actually more sad to me that Louisville has come here and proven themselves in this conference.

Louisvill Overall ACC numbers.
2019 #3
2018 #14
2017 #5
2016 #2 in the ACC
2015 #5 ACC
2014 #4 ACC team

They’ve been a top 4 overall ACC team in 4/6 seasons in the ACC. Outside of a few good years from random teams I’d say they’ve solidified themselves as one of the top 4 ACC programs.....that’s blue trash this conference is....we beat the 2nd and 3rd best team in the ACC and still had a trash year in 2019.

It’s incredible.

Missouri
2019 #10 Overall SEC
2018 #9 Overall SEC
2017 #8 Overall SEC
2016 #14 Overall SEC
2015 #12 Overall SEC
2014 #2 Overall SEC
2013 #3 Overall SEC
2012 #10 Oversll SEC

so a team with 2/8 seasons being in the SECs top four proved my point. Not a perennial contender to be in the conferences top 4 teams like Louisville came to the ACC and did.

TAMU? lol
2019 #7 in the SEC
2018 #5 in the SEC
2017 #9 in the SEC
2016 #7 in the SEC
2015 #8 in the SEC
2014 #9 in the SEC
2013 #8 in the SEC
2012 #5 in the SEC the great Johnny Manziel season.

A team who literally has Never placed top 4 overall in their conferences standings to finish the season.

Louisville came to the ACC and did just that. If this conference was that could it wouldn’t have been possible for them to do it on the regular. Just like it hasn’t been for Tamu and Mizzou.

We can agree to disagree but facts show Im not making **** up. Louisville again a non power 5 team coming to a power 5 conference and placing top 4 on the regular.

My claim was that most teams from power 5 conferences would come here and place top 4 immediately. It’s the weakest P5 conference overall by a wide margin.

These are facts. A few good games or good seasons from some teams here doesn’t change that.

Advertisement
Back