Special Teams

Cans4life

Formerly Cans4life04
Is this the year we finally get back to blocking multiple punts and kicks? When I think of our great teams in the past, they were always GREAT on special teams; coming up huge in the return game, great in coverage, etc. We haven't seen much of that in the past 5-10 years. Once we get back to doing these type of things consistently, I think that is a sign we are truly on the way back.

Advertisement
Special Teams have been light years ahead of what they were since Golden took over. He's making special teams special again. Our coverage units have been lights out.

I see it being a year we get more Punt Returns for TDs. Sort of like 2000 when Santana & Daryl Jones were back there.
Although I do miss all the blocked kick and punts form years past.

Where you'll see the difference, imo, is in the coverage units. Are coverage units were much improved last year and weren't all that bad considering we had guys like Fentress and Swasey on them. Now, you plug in guys like Carter, Burns, Figs, et al, and the units change drastically.

Advertisement
Where you'll see the difference, imo, is in the coverage units. Are coverage units were much improved last year and weren't all that bad considering we had guys like Fentress and Swasey on them. Now, you plug in guys like Carter, Burns, Figs, et al, and the units change drastically.

The guys you mentioned are also athletic enough to block punts and kicks.

I want a couple blocked punts for TDs this year.

The guys you mentioned are also athletic enough to block punts and kicks.

I want a couple blocked punts for TDs this year.

Agree with you here, I want to see us go after more kicks.

I hope so!

In addition, punting should be on point with O'Donnell booting it and experienced gunners.

Great to hear that Goudis went 3-3 all 40+ in the scrimmage yesterday

We were overflowing with talent to fill our old special teams. The last years we have not had enough talent for O nad D, no less any extra. This year it looks like some young guns will available for special teams because we might not need to start all our freshmen. Nothing like a couple blocked punts or field goals to chance a game and even a season.

Advertisement
Until competition heats up, special teams will suffer...no need to show off when you are playing and no one behind you in depth..

I remember watching Andre Johnson killing folks on Special teams so he could get playing time....we are getting close to that..

Our overall athletic abiltiy has improved so our STs will improve right along with it, not giving up big returns is as important as blocking an occassional kick. I got a bigger thrill out of watching our guys come down and cover a kickoff and just knock the snot out of the return man at about the 10yd line.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't blocked punts down for all teams with the new punt block schemes being used? I mean it is really impossible to block one anymore unless the punter fumbles the snap. If I recall the blocked punt Terry had last year was on a fumbles snap.

Advertisement
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't blocked punts down for all teams with the new punt block schemes being used? I mean it is really impossible to block one anymore unless the punter fumbles the snap. If I recall the blocked punt Terry had last year was on a fumbles snap.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear that.

Our new DE had a nice blocked punt a couple seasons ago:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=110211005700859

Advertisement
Miami was 10th in kickoff return defensive yardage per kick. 0 TDs allowed.

That and returning kicks are not a worry of mine. More blocked kicks would be nice, though.

Golden stresses it and that makes a difference, but I also think we'll continue to improve as the roster does. There was a time at this program where a punter was forced to play wide out. When your roster is so deep that you can have highly-rated recruits and talented young kids cutting their teeth and earning their respect on special teams, I think that's what brings it into another level. Like someone said, there was a time at Miami where a few future NFL 1st round picks were running at you on kick off coverage.

Advertisement
Back