Special Teams vs. F$U

#26-MEAST

Junior
Throughout the whole year I have no complaints with our kickoff coverage team. I am worried about our lack of returns. Benjamin hasn't been aggressive returning kickoffs and he just hasn't had anytime to return punts except one vs. BC??

Benjamin has 18 kor for 458 yds -- 25.4 yd avg with a long of 54
15 pr for 86 yds -- 5.7 yd avg with a long of 44 7 fair catches

Lamarcus Joiner has 9kor for 240 yds -- 26.7 yd avg with a long of 37
Karlos Williams has 6 kor for 155 yds -- 25.8 yd avs with a long of 33

Greg Reid has 4 kor for 89 yds -- 22.3 yd avg with a long of 27
33 pr for 207 yds -- 6.3 yd avg with a long of 30 11 fair catches

I really think we need a breakout game in our return units especially punt returns because field position will be key. If we can get Wieclaw in 35-45 yd field goal range he could hit 2-4 field goals this game. That would really help us to control momentum and the clock. Is there anyway we block a punt this year? We need a HUGE play this game.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
I think we've been pretty good with Kick offs. We haven't returned any but Benjamin has routinely brought them past the 40 yard line and near mid field.

I want to see a double de-cleating return like the one against UNC a couple of years ago.

Advertisement
Personally I feel that special teams is the one phase where we have been vastly better than our opponent every single week. That goes for all of our special teams. This is the least of my worries heading into this game.

The one thing that concerns me is the over pursuit of our special teams kickoff unit. We are one reverse away from someone breaking it. They dont really keep to their lanes.

Dont get me wrong, the Unit is probably the best it has been in 8-9 years but if I can see it, it is only a matter of time before a coach sees it.

I'm betting that Travis won't be so cute, and just haul ***.

If he's going to run one back, FSU provides him with all the motivation he'll ever need.

Benjamin is a Nole Killer. Hope he continues that trend. Had a monster game in 08 has a freshmen against them down at Landshark and almost single handedly brought us back from a huge half time deficit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back