Special plays and counters to them...

fraggle

Senile Senior
JJ had his kickoffs go to the corner of the field and our ST's keep pinching down and tackling teams near their goal line. At a WV game we went up big in the first quarter because it was so effective. He also had Bennie Blades stay deep as a defender in case someone broke past out ST's. Bennie got dinged in an FSU game and was held out of ST's. Bobby Bowden noticed and had his punt returner hold the ball for a few seconds on the corner of the field and we closed in, meanwhile Tamarick Vanover was on the other side of the field and the punt returner passed the ball to Tamarick Vanover who went for a TD. Pretty slick by Bowden but they still lost to us. Oh, that corner kickoff still is a good ploy. Football evolves, anyone notice any other peculiarities that coaches have come up with?

I know, boring but summer is that way next week will be more involved.

Advertisement
JJ had his kickoffs go to the corner of the field and our ST's keep pinching down and tackling teams near their goal line. At a WV game we went up big in the first quarter because it was so effective. He also had Bennie Blades stay deep as a defender in case someone broke past out ST's. Bennie got dinged in an FSU game and was held out of ST's. Bobby Bowden noticed and had his punt returner hold the ball for a few seconds on the corner of the field and we closed in, meanwhile Tamarick Vanover was on the other side of the field and the punt returner passed the ball to Tamarick Vanover who went for a TD. Pretty slick by Bowden but they still lost to us. Oh, that corner kickoff still is a good ploy. Football evolves, anyone notice any other peculiarities that coaches have come up with?

If by JJ you mean Jimmy Johnson he left Miami for Dallas after the 88 season... Bennie Blades graduated UM in 88'... Vanover was a freshman in 92 which was the game Barrow almost killed him....

Advertisement
Yes, man I miss those days. I truly hope all the young Cane fans have the privilege to witness the pure dominance that us older fans have witnessed and I would love to see it again myself.☺

Barrow would have been ejected and suspended under current rules.

Barrow would have been ejected and suspended under current rules.

Under current rules, and with the U on the side of the helmet, he would probably have never been allowed to play college football ever again. Fortunately, those weren’t the rules back then. What he did was perfectly fine according to the rules at the time, and if the rules were different, he was plenty good a player to have adapted.

Somebody gotta do something about these rules.

No blood - no foul!

Targeting should be the end goal of a defense!

Our kickers lately had trouble keeping it inbounds.

Advertisement
You’re referring to the wrong kickoff return. Vanover caught the ball, FSU blocked well, and Vanover outran everyone.

If by JJ you mean Jimmy Johnson he left Miami for Dallas after the 88 season... Bennie Blades graduated UM in 88'... Vanover was a freshman in 92 which was the game Barrow almost killed him....
I know but JJ installed the idea and Erickson continued it

Oh wow, I made a mistake. It was not Vanover nor that game, it was the 1986 game and Ross threw it to Dexter Carter. Look at the 2:34 mark.

The action just before that shows why Testaverde was so great, why Boswell called him Superman. By the way, we won 41-23

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back