Special players

dolpterry

Freshman
Posting false information
All of our best players are transfers. King, Jordan, Phillips, Roche and Bolden. Staff has to do a better job evaluating and coaching up the players that we recruit. The Portal has been great for Miami but to be a power House once again we need our best players in here as freshman.

Advertisement
All of our best players are transfers. King, Jordan, Phillips, Roche and Bolden. Staff has to do a better job evaluating and coaching up the players that we recruit. The Portal has been great for Miami but to be a power House once again we need our best players in here as freshman.
You lost me with the second sentence.

Advertisement
Guys like Harrison-Hunte and Cam Williams will be just as good in a few years. Look back at our 2017 class (should be our senior class this year) and you’ll see why we’re relying on transfers to this extent right now.

From 2017: 12 of 24 are still on the roster. Of the 12 - 3 are not playing due to injury/opt out (Donaldson, Hillery, Herbert) 1 has never seen the field (Dykstra), 1 is a 4th string RB (Burns), your backup QB, a backup LB, and the other 5 are starters/co-starters.

Last edited:

Bolden and Phillips came in having accomplished practically nothing in their college careers... we coached them up.

Good or bad, college football has changed due to the advent of the transfer portal. Its part of recruiting and helps fix roster holes much quicker than recruiting ever could. Good coaches/programs adapt, just like coaches did with the creation of the star system and hiring analysts.

Manny should be commended for adapting his approach and reaping the benefits of a new tool to help with roster management. Yes, you hope to address many common issues via your typical recruitment but I see no issue with targeting 1-2 guys yearly that can have the impact of a King/Roche/Phillips/Bolden....

Advertisement
This topic continues to come up, so I'll say it again.

This seems like an aberration now because its a new thing, but the reality is that this is the new normal. We now have free agency in college football. If Lorenzo Lingard, Christian Williams and others (who will inevitably depart) end up being the top players on their new teams, does that mean our staff gets retroactive credit for those evaluations?

It is what it is. I give Manny immense credit for being among the fastest D1 coaches to adapt to this new normal. I suspect in the years to come we will see the Clemsons, Bamas, and the rest being more active in recruiting the portal.

This topic continues to come up, so I'll say it again.

This seems like an aberration now because its a new thing, but the reality is that this is the new normal. We now have free agency in college football. If Lorenzo Lingard, Christian Williams and others (who will inevitably depart) end up being the top players on their new teams, does that mean our staff gets retroactive credit for those evaluations?

It is what it is. I give Manny immense credit for being among the fastest D1 coaches to adapt to this new normal. I suspect in the years to come we will see the Clemsons, Bamas, and the rest being more active in recruiting the portal.
Not really to that last sentence, because their programs are already built up, manny had to plug holes the best way he knew how!

Al Blades, Nesta Silvera, Cam Harris, 6-7 of the OL.
The issue is and has been QB. We haven’t recruited the position terribly but we haven’t developed them well and our overall approach to offense has been poor.
Yes. How many crappy OC has Miami had lately!? And hasn't Cane fan moaned, groaned and bytched, that Miami has to EVOLVE to today's type of offensive football!? Well, your gripes, and what not, have finally evaporated into the humid south Florida canopy. huh?

QB play and a legitimate OC, baby!

Not really to that last sentence, because their programs are already built up, manny had to plug holes the best way he knew how!

We'll see but I have to imagine the current top programs will utilize the portal simply because the portal will inevitably cost them some top players.
Again, this is the new normal. To think that Clemson, Bama, et al will be willing to lose talented underclassmen and not be willing to backfill them via the portal seems illogical, no?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Winning solves all recruiting problems.
If it takes patching up things with transfers here and there then so be it.

Just win.

It’s an interesting topic because without the aforementioned roster holes it wouldn’t be possible to benefit so greatly from the transfer portal.

But at the same time it also feels like a glimpse into what recruiting would be like if bags weren’t such a big part of the game

We filled in all the misses, quarterback, kicker, offensive line and defensive backfield with transfers. That was absolutely necessary to become good in a hurry. Manny didn’t have 3-4 years to develop talent and continue to lost 4-6 games per year. He needed the quick fix and he got it. Now the hope is the success of this team will help with recruiting. But we had to win to prove to recruits that his is the place to be. This year is a showcase year. It’s the next 2-3 years that will determine Manny’s long term fate as a coach.
Manny knows recruiting has to improve at quarterback and defensive back in particular (we’re bringing them in at d-line and o-line). But he needed this success to go into homes and convince recruits you can win big at Miami and get to the league.

Advertisement
OP hasn’t had a post since Friday, has complained about this same “issue” before, doesn’t have a positive post that I can find since before the season started, AND calls Brevin a transfer while ignoring the rest of the quality on the team?

austin powers shark GIF

If I see a 697th post from you on CIS I know we have a problem.

Advertisement
Back