Off-Topic Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of NASA

I thought this comment in the Twitter thread was interesting:

Creative Causation

@CreativeCausat1
·
18h

Replying to
@SPACEdotcom
“Here is a prediction: not a single drop of water will ever be found anywhere in the solar system outside the earth.”

^Does this guy fall into the “science denier” category? Because his prediction appears to be based on solid observational science to this point in time.

(BTW, @Memnon I’m not trying to be argumentative. You’ve seen me agree with you enough to know that I think you’re one of the most valuable contributors to CiS. I’m in favor of open, rational discussion).

Advertisement
I thought this comment in the Twitter thread was interesting:

Creative Causation
@CreativeCausat1
·
18h

Replying to
@SPACEdotcom
“Here is a prediction: not a single drop of water will ever be found anywhere in the solar system outside the earth.”

^Does this guy fall into the “science denier” category? Because his prediction appears to be based on solid observational science to this point in time.

(BTW, @Memnon I’m not trying to be argumentative. You’ve seen me agree with you enough to know that I think you’re one of the most valuable contributors to CiS. I’m in favor of open, rational discussion).

Some examples of vapor, ice, and a ton of “may be,” “may have,” and “is thought to have” and “used to have.”

The exception would be this section on Saturn:

“Enceladus is another famous icy moon like Europa – the surface is covered in water ice, and beneath the south pole is a subsurface ocean of liquid water.”

But then NASA also hedges like this:

“NASA's Cassini spacecraft may have found evidence of liquid water reservoirs that erupt in Yellowstone-like geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladus. The rare occurrence of liquid water so near the surface raises many new questions about the mysterious moon.

"We realize that this is a radical conclusion -- that we may have evidence for liquid water within a body so small and so cold," said Dr. Carolyn Porco, Cassini imaging team leader at Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo.

If there is liquid water on or in these other planets and moons, I have no problem with it. Just trying to sift through what’s been proven and what is still conjecture.

Some examples of vapor, ice, and a ton of “may be,” “may have,” and “is thought to have” and “used to have.”

The exception would be this section on Saturn:

“Enceladus is another famous icy moon like Europa – the surface is covered in water ice, and beneath the south pole is a subsurface ocean of liquid water.”

But then NASA also hedges like this:

“NASA's Cassini spacecraft may have found evidence of liquid water reservoirs that erupt in Yellowstone-like geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladus. The rare occurrence of liquid water so near the surface raises many new questions about the mysterious moon.

"We realize that this is a radical conclusion -- that we may have evidence for liquid water within a body so small and so cold," said Dr. Carolyn Porco, Cassini imaging team leader at Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo.

If there is liquid water on or in these other planets and moons, I have no problem with it. Just trying to sift through what’s been proven and what is still conjecture.
Where do you think water vapor & ice come from?

The components of water are Hydrogen-2 Oxygen; if there’s Ice, then that means it was produced by the freezing of the molecules at 0°C, which suggest that at one point is wasn’t frozen.

The evidence shows that there was water all throughout the Solar System, that has either frozen over time or is deeply submerged underneath the crusts of places like Ganymede or several other Moons/ Planets.

The research is what the research is, if they’re lying & making it all up, then good for them because that’s one **** of a waste of money & time on something that has no actual impact on people’s life’s other than topic pieces amongst some people.

How do we even know water exists? Just because they call it water doesn’t mean that’s what it is & realistically speaking, what even is water when you really think about?

How do we even know water exists? Just because they call it water doesn’t mean that’s what it is & realistically speaking, what even is water when you really think about?
1679437106862.gif

Advertisement
Cassini found water on the moon and in one of the plumes from Saturn's moon Enceladus.

During its flyby of Earth, Cassini’s spectrometer observed water on the surface of the Moon; this data was later used in 2009 to confirm the Indian probe Chandrayaan-1’s finding of small amounts of water on the lunar surface.

A particularly exciting discovery during its mission was that of geysers of water ice and organic molecules at the south pole of Enceladus, which erupt from an underground global ocean that could be a possible environment for life.

Cassini found water on the moon and in one of the plumes from Saturn's moon Enceladus.

During its flyby of Earth, Cassini’s spectrometer observed water on the surface of the Moon; this data was later used in 2009 to confirm the Indian probe Chandrayaan-1’s finding of small amounts of water on the lunar surface.

A particularly exciting discovery during its mission was that of geysers of water ice and organic molecules at the south pole of Enceladus, which erupt from an underground global ocean that could be a possible environment for life.

The compounds of Hydrogen & Oxygen are some of the most abundant elements in the Universe...

It’s pretty much **** near everywhere in Space.

The compounds of Hydrogen & Oxygen are some of the most abundant elements in the Universe...

It’s pretty much **** near everywhere in Space.
One of the long range spacecraft ideas basically had a giant funnel in front of it to gather hydrogen and oxygen molecules for fuel.

Advertisement
Where do you think water vapor & ice come from?

The components of water are Hydrogen-2 Oxygen; if there’s Ice, then that means it was produced by the freezing of the molecules at 0°C, which suggest that at one point is wasn’t frozen.

The evidence shows that there was water all throughout the Solar System, that has either frozen over time or is deeply submerged underneath the crusts of places like Ganymede or several other Moons/ Planets.

The research is what the research is, if they’re lying & making it all up, then good for them because that’s one **** of a waste of money & time on something that has no actual impact on people’s life’s other than topic pieces amongst some people.

C'mon man, we all know that water is booze without the alcohol!!!!

Where are the samples?

I don’t guess Cassini scooped up a dixie cup full of H2O from out of that “underground global ocean” NASA says is under the surface of Enceladus. Or did it?

Where are the samples?

I don’t guess Cassini scooped up a dixie cup full of H2O from out of that “underground global ocean” NASA says is under the surface of Enceladus. Or did it?
If it did, it was lost when Cassini crashed into Saturn.

@ddann If you’re interested, here’s a recently published paper by a research team about the origins of Water in the Solar System; it’s a dense read, but thorough.

The research team:
- John J. Tobin (National Radio Astronomy Observatory, USA)
- Merel L. R. van’t Hoff (Department of Astronomy, University of Michigan, USA)
- Margot Leemker (Leiden Observatory, Leiden University, the Netherlands [Leiden])
- Ewine F. van Dishoeck (Leiden)
- Teresa Paneque-Carreño (Leiden; European Southern Observatory, Germany)
- Kenji Furuya (National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, Japan)
- Daniel Harsono (Institute of Astronomy, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan)
- Magnus V. Persson (Department of Space, Earth and Environment, Chalmers University of Technology, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden)
- L. Ilsedore Cleeves (Department of Astronomy, University of Virginia, USA)
- Patrick D. Sheehan (Center for Interdisciplinary Exploration and Research in Astronomy, Northwestern University, USA)
- Lucas Cieza (Núcleo de Astronomía, Facultad de Ingeniería, Millennium Nucleus on Young Exoplanets and their Moons, Universidad Diego Portales, Chile).

Advertisement
New Private Rocket Launch company is attempting to make orbit for the first time. Relativity Space with the Terran-1 from LC-16. This is a unique rocket being primarily (85%) 3D printed.
They are trying to join SpaceX, Rocketlab, Firefly, Virgin Orbit, and Astra.

If successful it will be the FIRST methane based rocket to reach orbit. We'll see if they beat SpaceX (who has a Oribital test launch of Starship, which is Methane based, coming up in the next few months). They tried to launch yesterday and it got aborted. Today they got to t-0, and had an automatic abort and tried to reset before holding again and running out of time. Will probably try to launch again within the next few days. Should be interesting to watch.

Pretty awesome first launch attempt. Made it past Max-Q, and stage separation. Unfortunately they had a 2nd stage engine failure, so they didn't make orbit, but this was an extremely successful launch for them. Going to get a lot of valuable data, and having a 85% 3D printed rocket could have major cost savings. And Just in general it shows how far 3D printing has come. Its going to be a key to future manufacturing off-Earth.

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1638744743638355968

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back