South Florida Qb's....

Advertisement
I also wondered why we never utilize south florida's speed and also their dual threat qb's with an offense that fits their personnel

You mean like Ryan Collins, Kenny Kelly, Derrick Crudup, Jacory Harris, and Stephen Morris?

We havent had a great deal of success with the South/Florida dual threat type QBs here. Though Jacory wasnt exactly a dual threat.

Count me out of this whole idea. Ive had about as much of South Florida QBs as I can stomach. They work best in a spread system, and unless we are going to move to a full time spread, no thanks. DONT get me wrong. I will take a PHENOMENAL talent like Gibson, but Gibson has all the tools and is DOMINANT, not just local success in HS. I still prefer a smart kid who can read a defense, make good decisions, and effectively move the ball, than some kid whose first instinct is to take off running as soon as his first read isnt there. That works great in South Florida HS football because they are great athletes and its all about winning the game.

Im just not of the opinion we need a "dual threat" type QB here. WE have ALWAYS been more successful with a smart, efficient QB, even if he didnt have a great gun, BECAUSE he was surrounded with highly talented speedsters at the skill positions. To succeed as a QB at Miami, you just have to get the ball to your playmakers. You dont need your QB to be another running back. That said, if we could find a kid who truly could be a great pocket QB, with the ability to scramble, well all the better. But I want a kid who is smart in the pocket first, not a good running QB who we HOPE will develop into a good passer. Some teams have to rely on those QBs, but with all the speed and talent at RB and WR in South Florida every year, Id rather have a QB who can get those guys the ball first.

Sean White.

I'll never understand why we didn't offer him.

Preach!

Wasnt he reported to be like 5'10?

no he's about 6'1/2

Is that confirmed, or what is "reported". IIRC, I thought it was White who people had said was really about 5'10, not over 6 as he was "listed". I COULD be wrong, am honestly just asking. I seem to remember one of the local QBs who was reported to be shorter when seen in person, and I thought it was White, and why many speculated that we never offered.

Advertisement
Sean White.

I'll never understand why we didn't offer him.

Preach!

no he's about 6'1/2

Is that confirmed, or what is "reported". IIRC, I thought it was White who people had said was really about 5'10, not over 6 as he was "listed". I COULD be wrong, am honestly just asking. I seem to remember one of the local QBs who was reported to be shorter when seen in person, and I thought it was White, and why many speculated that we never offered.

Nah I understand you're just asking. He measured in at 6'1.5 at the opening. From what I've seen in person that measurement is accurate.

no he's about 6'1/2

Nah I understand you're just asking. He measured in at 6'1.5 at the opening. From what I've seen in person that measurement is accurate.

10-4 Maybe it was another kid Im thinking of.

Rakeem Cato why did he end up Marshall? only school to offer as QB or bad grades?

Rakeem is like 5'10 and early on committted to fiu...also he was a kid that played at Miami Springs....a place where kids go to die...and played at central just one year....

Cato's a kid that would of killed the camp circuit had he started off earlier and would of ended up at a bigger school but marshall seemed to be a good fit.

Someone mentioned it i think am...but guys like Teddy B, Treon were slinging it around at the optomist level. Sean White same thing....

Go catch som optomist game with the unlimited age groups..which are middle school to 9th grae age kids and some teams are legit running spread concepts and slinging it around..(the good coached teams) liked to get the discussion going about it.

PPO is the best I have seen. 2 of my AAU Bball kids paly for them. Untouchable. They kill everyone

I'd say it all depends on the system these kids are put in once they get to college.

That was my theory about Jacory. I thought he looked good when he was in the spread/gun. Soon as you put him under center and forced him to drop back and make reads he was done.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but it seemed like every time we were down a couple scores and we needed to line-up in spread and throw the ball, Jacory marched us right down the field. Our offense was unstoppable.

So you saying we should run spread ?

Absolutely.

Spread QB's, scat RB's and speedy WR's are EVERYWHERE down here. (recipe for a killer spread)

Pro-style QB's, mauling O-linemen and legit TE's are NOT. (recipe for an effective pro-style)

People will tell you that the pro-style is better for Miami cause we won championships with it but they forget that we had to fly across the country every year to find the ingredients we needed. Not that we can't do that again, but why bother when you can run the spread and reload year after year after year?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back