South Florida prospects impact

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The number one theme of the class right now is obviously the fact that all five commits are from South Florida and this hasn't gone unnoticed amongst other top prospects. Talking to other recruits from down here, nearly all of them say that having the familiarity with kids from the same area would make it much easier for them to pick Miami.

Something I mentioned when both Alin Edouard and Joseph Yearby committed is that their verbal was more than just the talent they would bring to Miami. Both carry a lot of clout in the South Florida communities and I have a feeling we could start seeing the tangible effects of that in the coming months.

It's been heavily debated on whether or not Miami should have recruited more kids from South Florida next year and although the talent was down last year, there is a consequence from not taking more than they did. Golden wants to get it to the point where these classes are recruiting themselves. For example, the 2012 class has been extremely outspoken in their efforts to help recruit for Miami. The more SF kids on the team leads to more wanting in...that's just how it works. By signing only four SF prospects in the 2013 class, it kind of sets Miami back in regards to having the classes recruit each other. The positive is that it looks like that class will end up being sandwiched by two monster SF signing classes so it may be a moot point.

The 2014 class is on its way to becoming that sort of class that will not only bring an influx of ridiculous talent, but could be another layer to the foundation set by the 2012 class.

Advertisement
Just win... and we can sign all the top talent in south florida... no more inferior complex down here... You got to remember these kids dont know or remember seeing Miami winning a lot of them were 4 or 5 years old when Miami won there last NC... So lets just win... and I think we can run the table this year and possibly play for a NC...

It is what it is. The NCAA was absolutely crushing us in SoFla! Add to the fact that we were/are extremely late jumping on kids in the process. AG and Co have to change their recruiting philosophy for SoFla. It seems this year the staff has taken a different approach by offering many kids and getting on them early and often, especially kids from SoFla. These kids down here love the attention and most are courted for 3 years! Staff needs to be on these kids all day everyday and we will be fine. Kids want to be Canes!

At the minimum, winning the ACC and earning a BCS birth is the objective. This will help curtail any negative recruiting we might receive from rivals, and will demonstrate to these recruits that UM football is back under coach Golden.

Advertisement
Pete - just curious - what other SoFla kids do you see being "leader" types whose commitments would have pull on the rest of the kids? I would think Sony & Cook because of talent, and Lane seems extremely vocal (his twitter feed is really something else....). Who else? What about on defense?

This roster is loaded with kids from South FL. People claiming otherwise are either foolish or full of ****. Also, there's plenty of talent outside of South FL to cherry pick to compliment the South FL talent we do have which has been the formula for Miami's success in the past. If these kids don't want to be Canes then so be it. Golden will find someone elsewhere to fill the need. This idea that the entire class has to be from South FL laughable. Miami is a national brand that has the luxury of being able to get talent all over the nation. Either come to Miami or lose to Miami.

Win and kids will be lining up to play here...

Who in this past class is better than Olsen, AQM, Sandland, Dobard, Elder, Griffin and company that Golden missed on?

it's always important for us to get the SF's most talented and respected kids early so that they can assist in recruiting this recruiting season has started as close to perfect as i can imagine.

Advertisement
I get the idea, but I can't fault the staff for the past class and if stupid **** didn't happen, we would've gladly signed a few more SFLA kids for 2013.

People will point to so-called "mistakes" like Skai Moore or whatever. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it wasn't. When it's all said and done, we got Figs and I think people will be more than pleased once he starts making an impact.

If Matt Thomas, Kirkland and Alex Collins weren't douchebag trolls, this wouldn't even be a discussion. Should Golden get on his knees and beg Ice Harris to put in a good word for us?? To **** with that!

I'm sure Golden wants nothing more than to keep all the best kids home. That's his mission statement. Right now, there has been more obstacles to that than he'd like I'm sure. But those won't be there for too much longer.

Pete - just curious - what other SoFla kids do you see being "leader" types whose commitments would have pull on the rest of the kids? I would think Sony & Cook because of talent, and Lane seems extremely vocal (his twitter feed is really something else....). Who else? What about on defense?

Very important. I asked this in another way on a thread about a month ago. I think the most frequent answer was Winky Flowers.

Agreed ^ if Clark can commit, I see Moten following suit, along with other well-respected So Fla kids. Alin and Yearby are the first dominos in this year's recruiting class.

Advertisement

Very important. I asked this in another way on a thread about a month ago. I think the most frequent answer was Winky Flowers.

It's the facet of Wilson's recruitment (or lack of) that concerns me. He seems to be a leader on SFE, tight with Lane, and his dad (and University crew in general) seem very vocal on social media & websites.

Advertisement
leader wise i don't think there's a bigger leader in So Fla than Flowers. If flowers were to commit then a LOT of the kids down here would take notice. Problem that lies here is would he be willing to A.) come in as a QB(if he even fits Coley QB mold which ive heard rumors of otherwise) or B.) Would he be willing to play another position such as Safety or WR(Boldin esque comes to mind).

It's the facet of Wilson's recruitment (or lack of) that concerns me. He seems to be a leader on SFE, tight with Lane, and his dad (and University crew in general) seem very vocal on social media & websites.

You are not wrong, I just hope this doesn't factor in to whether we recruit the kid or not. The message sent then is: make enough noise and you will get your way. Completely wrong message to send. If we recruit him it should be because he can play.

Agreed ^ if Clark can commit, I see Moten following suit, along with other well-respected So Fla kids. Alin and Yearby are the first dominos in this year's recruiting class.

Sony would get everyone on board

Sony is one **** of talent, but leads by example not really by voice. I would say Wilson would have a huge impact, but the chance is slim to none of him coming

You are not wrong, I just hope this doesn't factor in to whether we recruit the kid or not. The message sent then is: make enough noise and you will get your way. Completely wrong message to send. If we recruit him it should be because he can play.

I agree, but there's an amount of risk/reward that needs to be assessed. If 5 SFE kids that we badly want are going to follow him to FSU or Louisville, was that 'statement' worth it (I am NOT saying that's the case...)? Not my job to answer that, and I generally trust Al... but as an observer it makes me queasy to think about it. Nothing grates me harder than hearing SF kids going elsewhere and then coming back down and trashing UM or pumping up somewhere else (i.e Joyner with 6, Bridgewater recruiting sofla kids to Nowhereville, KY, Cooper with Bama, etc.)

Advertisement
Back