South Florida pass rushers

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
We always talk about South Florida skill guys. But there has been a growing trend of pass rushers from the tri-county area.

It makes sense. South Florida doesn't produce many basketball players or tight ends. The long, athletic guys are taught to get after the passer.

Three of the top 25 active sack leaders in the NFL are from South Florida: Elvis Dumervil (Jackson), Geno Atkins (STA) and Jason Pierre-Paul (Deerfield Beach). Olivier Vernon (American) is the highest paid defensive end in NFL history. Joey Bosa (STA) might be the best pass rusher in the NFL. And three more pass rushers: Nick Bosa (STA), Brian Burns (Heritage) and Joe Jackson (Gulliver) could go in the first round next year.

Miami has capitalized on this trend in rebuilding its pass rush. In 2014, we signed Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson. In 2016, we signed Joe Jackson. In 2017, we signed Jon Garvin. And in 2018, we signed Greg Rousseau. Now, we are targeting Khris Bogle and Cam Williams. All of these guys are long, athletic and productive.

Finally, the Treasure Coast, which sits right on top of South Florida, recently produced an unknown two-star pass rusher named Khalil Mack. The top player in the Treasure Coast this year? Jahfari Harvey.

Advertisement
I've always thought of South Florida's real talent not in terms of "skill guys", but in terms of "twitchy"guys.

Because of that, in my mind, we should always have productive pass rushers and productive pass rusher depth.

We always talk about South Florida skill guys. But there has been a growing trend of pass rushers from the tri-county area.

It makes sense. South Florida doesn't produce many basketball players or tight ends. The long, athletic guys are taught to get after the passer.

Three of the top 25 active sack leaders in the NFL are from South Florida: Elvis Dumervil (Jackson), Geno Atkins (STA) and Jason Pierre-Paul (Deerfield Beach). Olivier Vernon (American) is the highest paid defensive end in NFL history. Joey Bosa (STA) might be the best pass rusher in the NFL. And three more pass rushers: Nick Bosa (STA), Brian Burns (Heritage) and Joe Jackson (Gulliver) could go in the first round next year.

Miami has capitalized on this trend in rebuilding its pass rush. In 2014, we signed Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson. In 2016, we signed Joe Jackson. In 2017, we signed Jon Garvin. And in 2018, we signed Greg Rousseau. Now, we are targeting Khris Bogle and Cam Williams. All of these guys are long, athletic and productive.

Finally, the Treasure Coast, which sits right on top of South Florida, recently produced an unknown two-star pass rusher named Khalil Mack. The top player in the Treasure Coast this year? Jahfari Harvey.

DMoney, great timing on this post. Was just in a discussion comparing South Florida DEs to others. Would you take Cam Williams and Jahfari Harvey over Texas DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah? Personally, I would in a heartbeat.

DMoney, great timing on this post. Was just in a discussion comparing South Florida DEs to others. Would you take Cam Williams and Jahfari Harvey over Texas DE NaNa Osafo-Mensah? Personally, I would in a heartbeat.

I haven’t seen those other guys, but Williams and Harvey are takes every year IMO.

Pass rushers are precious commodities and those two have the right combination of length, twitch and production.

Advertisement
All I know is the staff personally scouted him and fell in love with him. Jess Simpson is a guru in my eyes right now. Welcome to The U Jahfari!!!

I've always thought of South Florida's real talent not in terms of "skill guys", but in terms of "twitchy"guys.

South Florida's next great DE:

raw.png

One guy I forgot to mention in the OP is Patrick Joyner. He is more of a hybrid but he will get reps at DE.

IMO, Joyner is one of the more underrated guys in the class. When you see him in person, he looks like an Alabama front seven player. And he was one of the most productive defenders in the state.

This staff has a eye for talent, especially when it comes to DEs!! Miami has signed some really talented DEs under this staff, and they weren't big time recruits coming out of HS.. BUT they have showed why they should've been highly touted recruits!!

The new commit Harvey, definitely fits the mold of what the staff have been doing, find overlooked DEs and make them shine..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back